The End of Restless Sleep

josef
Platinum Member

Re: The End of Restless Sleep

Post by josef »

Chapter 18: Sapling re-sown. (#1)
---------------------------------------^

Aunt and I never left her side. Her parents had a hard time to call off the wedding. Nilanjana ma’am and dad assured them that they would together handle the situation. I cared not to get involved in that matter. For me the main concern was Titli’s wellbeing.

There was huge opposition from her parents on my decision. Dad gave me an option that he would take Titli to Dhanbad. He told me that I would not be able to take proper care of her. I assured dad that I would not let her slip into oblivion again. I was adamant on my stand and told them I don’t care as what the society or the people would talk about.

Nilanjana ma’am came to my rescue. She dictated to everyone, “Titli has bridged the gap of twelve years between a father and son and brought them together. I will bring the heaven and hell together to bring her back.” She turned towards me and said, “Give me the word that you will bring happiness in her eyes.”

I looked at her and said, “I have lost her once and I don’t have enough courage left to lose her again.”

She said to me, “One condition she can stay with you. You two have a registry marriage.”

“No.” I answered her, “I don’t want to impose anything on her barren heart right now. Titli has to be in a position to give her consent. Currently she is not in a position to give that. I will wait until she is ready. I will re-sow the seeds again and wait for the sapling to grow, even if that takes a life time for us.”
Aunt shook her head and sobbed at me, “Promise me that you will take care of her.”

I gave a painful smile, “Ask for my soul, I can give that. But not Titli, not this time.”

After ten days, Titli was able to stand up on her feet. Her uncle prescribed some medicines and told me to keep in touch with him. He referred a speech therapist and a psychiatrist. I gave a pale smile in return.

Titli became very pale and skinny. She looked like a skeleton draped in a pale skin. Her collarbones and cheekbones were visible. The moonshine from her face was gone. Her eyes were filled up with void queries. She hankered for answers that were haunting her. She was unable to speak but her beautiful big eyes expressed what she wants. She was trying to cope with the relations dictated to her. I saw distrust in her eyes that she was feeling uneasy. I knew that it would be an uphill task to bring back her lost composure.

I requested Nilanjana ma’am and Dad to return to Dhanbad. Ma’am requested me to keep the car. I obliged her request. She repeatedly reminded me that I should call her every day to inform her about Titli’s health and improvement. I nodded my head to assure that I would abide her every word.

Parting was quiet tearful. Nilanjana Ma’am kissed Titli’s forehead and bid her goodbye. She gently nodded her head.

Before returning Bappa asked me, “Hey Buddhubabu, why Titli auntie is so gloom? Is she angry upon you?”

I smiled at her and said, “No dear, she is not well now. She will definitely speak to you.”

He shook his head and gave me a naughty smile, “I know. She is angry with you. Tickle on her belly, she will burst out in laughter and she will talk to you again.”

I asked him, “Who told you that?”

He looked at his mother and said in a puerile voice, “When Mama gets angry then she does not speak with Dada. Then Dada hugs her and tickles her on her belly. She bursts in laughter and they mends up.”

I could not control my laughter. After a long time I was able to breathe fresh air in my lungs. His innocent suggestion brought smile to everyone’s face. I looked at Nilanjana ma’am. She was trying to hide her coy face by looking at dad.

I looked at Nilanjana ma’am, “So, this is the secret as how you rule your kingdom?”

While returning she sat cowered in one corner of the seat. Looking curiously all around her as what was happening with her. Every time I tried to touch her, she gave me a curious look and moved away.

“Come inside.” I ushered Titli in my flat. “This is where you would live.”

After entering, she looked all around my small flat. She touched the couch and the curtains. She walked around the room like a breeze. I watched her actions quietly.

Aunt asked me, “I am very much concerned about her. What will happen, Budhaditya?”

I nodded and assured her that everything will be fine. I asked aunt to take her to the bedroom and lay her down on the bed. She quietly lay on the bed and closed her eyes. Aunt sat beside her and soothed her head for a long time. She was shaking by her mother’s touch. She was unable to cope with the new environment around her.

Aunt looked around the house and asked me, “How will she live here?”

I asked her in return, “What’s the harm? If I can live she also can.”

She mumbled, “No, I mean her room is much bigger than this.”

I sat beside the bed and took her hand in mine, “I know that Auntie.” Time has come to divulge the truth. I looked at sleeping Titli and said to Aunt, “You see these curtains, the wall hangings, the couch covers and everything. Those all were bought by Titli.” Aunt was awestruck to hear as what I was saying. I continued, “She graced every nook and corner of these dingy rooms to make a perfect abode fit for a queen. Titli’s soul was stuck here, in these two rooms. Only her body slept at your house.”

Aunt looked at Titli and then at me. She asked me, “Are you telling the truth? When she did all these? I don’t believe you. I am her mother. I thought that I knew her well. She never took any interest in household things.”

I smiled at her and nodded “Yes she did. Now you know the reason.”

Her eyes were glistening. She gently ruffled Titli’s head, “I felt some changes in Titli, but never did I imagine that she could be like this.” She gave me a soft smile, “Only you can change my Titli.”

I looked at her snivelled eyes and said, “I don’t know auntie. You have hope and I have faith. We need to keep those with us.”

All of a sudden, Titli shivered and woke up. She looked at us with thousands queries in her big eyes. Aunt held her across her chest and tried to soothe her to sleep. I gently nodded at aunt and came out o the room.

The walls and the curtains were crying, asking me as what happened to the queen of the roost. I did not have the answer. I sat quietly on the couch and blankly looked out of the window. The sky was dark and overcast with rain clouds. I lied on the couch and closed my eyes.

A soft groaning sound woke me up. The morning twilight was peeping on the east. I tried to figure out as from where the sobbing sound was coming. After some time I realised that, the sound was coming from the bathroom. I walked to the bathroom and was astound to find Titli there. She sat cowered at one corner of the bathroom. Her eyes were red and stream of tears rolling down her cheeks. I knelt in front of her. She looked at me and tried to say me something.
I felt like crying to see her in that condition. I asked her, “You are not able to sleep?”

She shook her head, “No.”

I held her in my arms. She became stiff in my embrace. Gently she brushed her head on my chest.

I asked her, “You are frightened?”

She nodded her head, “Yes.”

I pulled her on my lap and walked into the drawing room. I let her sit on the couch and knelt in front of her. I took her hands in mine and asked her, “You don’t remember these couch covers, do you? You remember nothing.”

She shook her head, “No.” She gestured at me, “Who are you?”

That query made me cry but I controlled myself. I looked deeply in her curious eyes and answered, “I am your Adi, Titli. Your husband.” I lied. A lie perhaps could bring some change, a lie for a better cause.

She gave me a curious look and gestured that why I did not divulged that to her previously.

I smiled and said to her, “Even if I said that, would that matter? You do not even remember your name dear. How could you remember me?”

She clenched her fist and tried to bang her head. I held her hands tightly to restrain her from doing so. Tears from her big black eyes were flowing continuously. I took her face between my palms and wiped her tears. She felt little relieved with my compassionate touch on her cheek.

I said to her, “It will take some time for you to respond to your name, Titli.”

She gave me a painful smile and nodded her head, “Yes.”

She gestured me that whether she could lie down on the sofa. I asked her why she do not go into the room and sleep on the bed. She said that she was feeling uncomfortable there. I smiled and nodded at her. She lied down on the sofa and looked at me. I covered her with a bed sheet. She held the bed sheet close to her chest and closed her eyes. Gently I rubbed her forehead, passing the warmth of mine to her cold shivering face. I watched her closely as she tried to sleep.

I looked up and found that Aunt was watching us.

She gave me a blissful smile and said, “I think I can leave her here now.”

I stood up from Titli’s side and said to her, “She is everything to me. I lost my mom when I was very young, then I lost my grandma which was not in my hand. I lost her once and I don’t have much strength left to lose her again.”
She ruffled my hair and said, “I think it will not be raining today. Like some tea?”

I smiled back at her, “Sure. You still owe me the sukto, remember.”

She laughed at me and patted my unshaven cheek, “You are really crazy…. Go and brush. Take a bath and don’t forget to shave. From last ten days, neither you have slept properly nor taken anything.”

I laughed at her, “You also have not left her side Auntie. Don’t worry I will sleep now. I have to join office so I am concerned as how to keep her alone.”

She said to me, “Why are you worrying so much? I will send my maid in the morning and I will be here until you return from office. I am her mother. So I have some duty also.”

Titli was gradually regaining her lost stature. We all were delighted to see her in good shape. The glow on her face was returning, yet her eyes bore few strokes of insecurity. She was able to walk properly and she started responding to her original name, Titli.

Titli’s mother went back after five days. I assured her not to worry about Titli and she can come to check her anytime as our houses were nearby. She gave me a hug and said that she was not worry about Titli but she was worry about me as how would I cope with her current being.

We were all alone in that house after aunt left on that evening. She was feeling uncomfortable, as I was the only person in the house. I asked her to sit on the couch. She felt bit uneasy when I sat beside her.

I asked her, “What are you thinking?”

She gestured at me, “You and me will live alone in this house?”

I nodded my head, “Yes Titli. This is your house.”

She gave a cold expression by gently nodding her head, “Ok.” Then she retired calmly into the bedroom.

Few days passed without much flutter. There were no changes in her behaviour. Her cold smile haunted me more than ever. She used to confine herself in the bedroom, seldom she came out of that place. Not much word was exchanged during dinner. Silently she ate her food and then went back to recluse. She never took interest in anything, always looking at us with blank vision. My patience was being tested.

Continued.....

Post by josef »

Chapter 18: Sapling re-sown. (#2)
---------------------------------------

Few days passed without much flutter. There were no changes in her behaviour. Her cold smile haunted me more than ever. She used to confine herself in the bedroom, seldom she came out of that place. Not much word was exchanged during dinner. Silently she ate her food and then went back to recluse. She never took interest in anything, always looking at us with blank vision. My patience was being tested.

On one evening, I returned home with her favourite flower, Rajanigandha. Instead of retiring to her room, she looked at me. She gave me a faint smile, took those flowers from my hand, and smelled. My soul was filled up with bliss on beholding her smile. I felt that I had everything in the world. I said to her that that was her favourite flower. For next few days, I brought her flowers to cheer her up. Slowly she was opening up with me. Smiles were exchanged more frequently, yet she was far away from my touch. I dared not touch her fathoming her mental condition. She used to stay with me in the drawing room watching tv even after the maid left.

Aunt asked me to put her through the speech therapy. The doctor checked her and tried to help her in speech. I took her to the doctor for the next few sessions.

One day she asked me as why I was taking such pain. I asked her whether she wants to speak again or not. She asked me whether I had any problems if she was mute. I could not find any answer to her. She gave me a painful look and quietly accompanied me to the therapist that day.

That night, she remained very cold. She did not even eat her food properly. I asked her as what has happened. Her eyes expressed that she wanted to be left alone and she pushed me out of her room. I asked her as what she wants. She gave me a helpless look and shook her head. I saw pain in her eyes. She expressed that she does not want to go through the therapy it pains in her throat. I had to bow down to her on beholding her depressed face.

Next evening after I returned, I found that she was preparing tea for me.I was surprised and asked her, “What are you doing?”

She asked me to sit in the drawing room. I asked her as where the maid was. She answered that she send her away as there was not much to be done.

I told to myself that the day has come to unfurl some of her memoirs to her. I went inside the bedroom to bring the suitcase that contained her belongings. I opened the suitcase in front of her. She gave me an inquisitive look as if asking as what I was doing. I showed her dresses and asked her does she remember these. She looked at the dresses and shook her head.

She gestured at me, “Did I wore those?”

I nodded my head, “Yes dear.”

She pulled out one of her flimsy slips and held out with two fingers. She squeezed her nose and asked me, “Did I wear this also?”

I laughed at her, “Yes dear, you looked really beautiful in that dress.”

She blushed and shied away her coy face. I was happy to see her blushes again. The lost smile was returning on her lips. The pink tint was again on her cheeks. However, the affection, the warmth was lacking in her touch.Then she asked me a query that I did not have answer, “Where are the pictures of our wedding?”

I stooped in front of her and lied again, “They are not here Titli. They are at Dhanbad.”

She touched my chin with her index finger and pulled up my face. Her piercing eyes fathomed my pretense. She only shook her head. I was unable to understand as what she meant then.

I asked her, “Want to have dinner now? I don’t know what the maid has prepared.”

She nodded her head that she was hungry. I asked her whether I should feed her. She blushed again and said that she can eat all by herself. Then she got up and walked to the kitchen. I tried to stop her but she waved her hand at me and asked me to keep seated there.

I felt a new breeze flowing in that dingy room all over again. Cold monsoon winds were blowing outside creating a feeling of togetherness in me. I heard her footsteps and looked back to find her standing with two dishes in her hand. My bereaved soul was again drenched. I held her hand and helped her to sit.

After dinner, she came in the drawing room and sat beside me. That was very unusual of her. I asked her whether she was feeling sleepy or not. She gave a blank look outside the window. Then she shook her head and said that the rain was creating some unknown feelings within her soul.

I said to her, “I first met you in one such rainy night.”

She gave me a curious look and asked “Where?”

I said to her, “It was raining that night. We both were standing at a bus stand. You were waiting for your brother to pick you up. He was late so you asked me whether I could wait for you or not. You were feeling uneasy with lots of prying eyes lewdly devouring your charms. You stood close to me and you said that you felt safe.”

Her eyes sparkled, “Really?”

I nodded my head, “Yes.”

Titli was getting better with each passing day. The cheekbones vanished under chubby cheeks, health regained. Her big black eyes were expressive more than ever. Those were smiling all over again. The roost saw their old queen in a new form. The gloomy semblance of the flat was weathering.

Once again, she was taking interest in the household chores. She would anxiously wait for my return. Every evening she used to ask me as what I did in office and I used to tell her every minute of my whole day. Still my ears hankered to hear her sweet nonsense and curses.

On one weekend, we were asked to visit her house. I took her to her house. Her parents were very happy to find her there. She walked in that huge house along with aunt. Her eyes were searching for answers as she was told that that was house. Aunt took her to her room and asked her whether she was able to remember anything or not. She shook her head and expressed that she was unable to recollect anything. I let out a deep exhale, as I felt helpless as what to do. Titli gave me a helpless look and asked me to take her home. I saw a writhing pain her mother’s eyes. I persuaded aunt that we should not exert pressure on her as she was still recuperating.

While returning, she was very upset with herself. I pulled up her face and said, “Don’t worry. Let us forget as what happened with us. Let us start with a blank page. You are not Titli and I am not Adi.”

Her eyes queried me, “Then who are we?”

I smiled at her and said, “You are Anoushka and I am Budhaditya.” I took her hand in mine and said, “Glad to meet you, Anoushka.”

Her face gleamed with a beautiful smile. She gently nodded her head to express that she was glad to meet a new Budhaditya.

“So go out for somewhere?” I asked her.

She gestured at me, “Where?”

I answered her, “May be a candlelight dinner.”

She blushed and said to me, “Not today. May be some other time.”

I asked her, “Why not today?”

She expressed her concern that the hour was late and I had to goto office next morning. I felt like hugging her in my arms and kiss on her lips. She inferred from my facial expression as what I meant to her. She smiled at me and touched my shoulder. I felt like melting by her warm concerned touch. I refrained myself from kissing but express my thanks for being so concerned about me.

I said to her, “So I owe you a candle light dinner.”

She gave a bashful smile and nodded her head, “Yes.” Her face was gleaming and there was twinkle in her big black eyes.

Unfortunately, I was unable to take her out for dinner. Whenever I thought of taking her out, some way or the other some pending works used to land on my desk.

All hell broke loose one evening. I returned from office and found that she was waiting for me with a gloomy face. I was unable to stand her clouded eyes and asked her the reason. She expressed that she was bored within these walls. She wanted me to take her out for shopping.

I felt that it would be opportune to take her out for dinner, “Would you like to go out for dinner?”

“No” she shook her head “I want to go out for shopping.”

I asked her in return, “What do you want to buy? You tell me I will buy that for you. You are not strong enough to walk in the crowd.”

She came near me and made a pleading face. I melted by beholding her pleas in her eyes. I nodded and gave my consent that I would take her out for shopping.

The old answer came from her eyes, “Just be by my side.” I felt a gush of fresh air in my lungs. I embraced her lightly and kissed her forehead after a long time. She felt little awkward as I took her in my embrace but she did not resisted my actions.

For the whole time she walked closed to me clasping my arm. I patted her shoulder and assured her that she won’t get lost in that huge crowd. She gave me a sweet smile in return and rubbed her cheek on my upper arm. That was an overwhelming sensation to feel her warm cheek all over again. We walked through the streets with hand in hand. She looked at those windows of the shops. I asked her as what she was going to buy. She shook her head and expressed that she was not going to buy anything, she just wanted to stroll lazily alongside.

“Crazy girl.” I pointed to a beautiful blue saree hanging in one shop, “What about that dress?”

She looked at that and then asked me whether I was joking with her or not.

I shook my head, “No dear. You just need to nod and that will be yours.”

She gestured at me, “But that is quiet expensive.”

I touched her nose with my index finger and looked deeply in her glistening eyes, “Not that expensive than the precious smile on your lips.” She smiled at me and gave her consent.

“Want to have some ice-cream?” I asked her. I was trying to revive her old habits may be she could regain her lost memoirs by those actions.

She shook her head, “No, I don’t like ice-creams.”

Her answer shocked me. There were many changes in Titli. She was a shopping freak but on that day, she bought nothing. She used to like ice cream in any season and that girl who was walking beside me does not like ice cream.

I asked her, “Are you sure?”

She gently nodded her head, “Yes.”

Suddenly thunderclaps roared in the sky. The black rain clouds started to rumble overhead. She held my hand tightly and asked me to get into car.

I smiled at her and asked, “Tomorrow in holiday, therefore, what’s the hurry in going to home. Let us get drenched in the rain.”

She gave me a curious look and asked, “Why?”

The expression in her eyes took me aback. The Titli I knew was very much fond of rain. She loved to get drenched in drizzle. On that eventful night she was wearing my shirt and was about to dance in rain. She loved to get drenched in drizzle. I was unable to answer her query. I felt that it would be foolish to try to find old Titli in the girl next to me. I should rather take her as she was.

She kept quiet for the rest of the time. After returning to home, I asked her to wear the saree. She smiled at me and said that she would surprise me some other day.

I woke up by the splashing sound of rain on the windowpanes. I quietly entered the bedroom to see whether Titli was sleeping properly or not. To my utter amazement, I found her standing near the window wearing that same blue saree that I bought that evening. She was staring at the dark sky and watching the crackling thunders.

In those lightening dazzles, I saw that a drop of tear was shining on her cheek. I tiptoed near her and touched her shoulder. She shivered as she felt my warm touch. She turned towards me looked deeply at my face. Her hands came up my chest. I felt the same shiver to run down my spine. I embraced her lightly and stooped down to touch her forehead with my lips. She closed her eyes to savor my affectionate kiss. Her lips flickered trying to say something. I took her face between my palms and wiped her tears. She rubbed her cheeks on my palm to feel the warmth. She was melting in my loving touches.

I whispered to her, “You are looking very beautiful, Anoushka.”

She convulsed and clasped my vest. Her nails dug in my chest muscle. Tears rolled down her cheeks. I stooped to touch her quivering lips. She pushed herself on her toes to meet my lips. Both the deprived soul stood still in that dark rainy night, frozen in each other’s arms.

From the next morning, it was a new dawn for both of us. Titli was rejuvenated and full of energy. She looked much mature and composed than ever before. She gave away all her old clothes. Her dressing became more modest and suave. Distance narrowed between us. Stealing glances and frequent kisses were exchanged. Hugs and caresses turned warmer and affectionate. Yet few furlongs left to trot to capture her passionate heart.

With the arrival of autumn, the dark monsoon clouds were also passing away. Both the families were delighted to see a neoteric Anoushka. Dad asked us to spend the Puja vacation with them at Dhanbad. Bappa was very happy that he would be able to meet his Titli auntie. He scolded me, as I did not visit him for a long time. I assured him that we all would spend a happy puja vacation at his place.

One evening Nilanjana ma’am called. She sounded serious. I felt from her voice that she was trying to hide her flowing emotions.

She asked me, “How are you doing, Budhaditya?”

Her soothing voice made me go weak. I grappled for words, “I am doing fine…. Very fine.”

She said to me, “You have succeeded to bring out a new Anoushka out of Titli.”

“Yes ma’am…” I stammered, “Same as you. You succeeded to bring back my Dad.”

I heard her sobbing on the other side of the line, “I am really proud of you, Budhaditya.” She paused for some time, “Can you give the phone to Titli?”

I was bit perplexed so I asked her, “Why?”

She sobbed, “I just want to hear her silent whispers.”

I handed the receiver to Titli. She gave me a perplexed look and asked me as who has called. I told her that Nilanjana ma’am wants to talk to her. She took the receiver from me. I looked at her; perhaps I would never come to know as what they spoke. I observed that Titli was frequently wiping her eyes. I smiled and cared not to ask about that mute affectionate conversation. For the first time I felt that, some words are best savored in silence.

One evening, I sat at her foot with my head on her lap. She was massaging my head and applying oil to my hair.

I joked at her, “Will you let me sleep with you?”

She slapped on the back of head and asked, “Why?”

I answered her, “Since you are my wife.”

She gave me a bashful smile, “Where is the proof?” and asked for the wedding photographs. She knew very well that those were not with me. She pestered me that until I show her the evidence she will not surrender in my final embrace.

I made a face at her, “This is wrong, Titli. I am tired of sleeping on the couch. I am having restless sleep every day.”

She her eyes twinkled; gently she nodded her head, “Have some more till I get the evidence.”

Post by josef »

Chapter 19: The End of Restless sleep.
-------------------------------------------

The sky was cobalt blue and adorned with small tufts of white clouds. The sunrays were quiet soothing and the air was fresh after the long monsoon. The trees were green with new leaves. Waves flowed on the paddy field. The air was filled up with the fragrance of festive season.

My slumber was cut short by a sweet aroma. I opened my eyes to find Titli by my side. She had already bathed and was looking fresh as tulip drenched in dew. She nudged me by my shoulder and asked me get up. I wrapped my arms around her thin waist and pulled her over me. She gave me a sweet smile and patted gently on my cheeks. She gestured that tea was ready.

I hugged her tightly in my arms and said, “I am not going to office today.”

“What? Why?” she asked me, “Are you feeling ok?”

I smiled at her and said, “No dear. I have a heart attack.”

“Come on get up you lazy bones. Get ready for office else you will be late.” She pulled me up.

I said to her, “I will get up in one condition.”

“What?” she asked me.

I said to her, “No work and no office today. Let us go out for a drive in this beautiful weather.”

She asked me, “Where to?”

I answered, “Nowhere in particular. Just you and me hit the road.”

She nodded her head and said, “Ok, but not in car. I want to ride in bike.”

I frowned by brows and asked, “Why in bike?”

“The car is quiet big and I have to sit beside you.” She gave me a bashful smile and said, “I want to sit with you and hold you.”

“Hmmm….” I teased her, “I would love to feel your arms around me.”

She pulled me from the couch, “Sure I will hug you. But for that you have to get up and get ready.”

I rushed to the bathroom to have my shower. She was ready with the breakfast. Her face was euphoric. There was twinkle in her big black eyes. I got ready and she asked me to wait in the drawing room.

After quiet sometime, she came out draped in a baby pink saree and short-sleeved blouse. My sight accentuate on her charms. She looked like a fairy descended from autumn clouds. I held her by her shoulder and slowly turned her to appraise her finesse. She gave me a bashful smile and asked me as how she looks. I answered that she was few strokes more than Venus was. I stooped down to kiss her pink glossy lips. She restrained me by putting her index finger on her lips. I felt that I had a heart attack by her actions.

She held me tightly as I raced the bike on the road. The soothing autumn winds engulfed us in a romantic bliss. I asked her as how she was feeling. She slapped gently on the back of head and asked me to concentrate on the road.
Titli asked me as where we are. I smiled at her and asked her to enjoy the ride. My old instinct drove me on the same road to the same place I proposed her. By afternoon, we reached the same place Kakdwip. We took a boat and crossed the river to go to the other side.

We walked hand in hand and reached the shore of the river. The line of demarcation faded. The color of the sky was same as that of the river. We sat beside the river. Tiny waves were crashing at our feet. Cold winds caressing us filling our heart with amorous bliss.

Time was passing very fast. The sun was going down in the west. The orange sky painted the river water with her red colour. She looked at the horizon where the endless river met the sky. I looked at her dreamy thoughtful face. The sunrays painted her creamy cheeks with her colours. She was very quiet and lost in her thoughts. She sat there still as a stone effigy.

I nudged her gently by her shoulder and asked her, “What happened Titli, why are you so quiet?”

She looked at me and shook her head, “Nothing.” Then she pointed to the horizon and showed me something. I looked at the horizon as where she was pointing. I observed that a flock of birds was flying in a line.

I asked her, “Want to go home?”

She shook her head, “No not now.” She wanted to sit there for some more time soaking in her thoughts. I took her in my arms and she rested her head on my shoulder. We sat there watching the sun going down the horizon and only twilight left in the clouds.

I stood up, pulling her along with me. She stood infront of me with thousand queries in her eyes. I gently placed my arms around her waist and pulled her towards me. She flanked her arms around my neck and looked up my face. The reflection of the twilight was glistening in her eyes.

I hugged her tightly with my arms and stooped down to touch her lips. She was breathing heavily. I whispered the same old lines in her ears, “Will you let me kiss your frowned lips as we grow old?”

She looked deeply in my eyes and her eyelids fluttered suddenly. She convulsed and fainted in my arms. I was perplexed. I sat down on the grass with my arms around her. I tried to wake her up by sprinkling water on her face.

After sometime, her lotus shaped big eyes unfurled it lids. She looked at me with glistening eyes and her lips fluttered. It was the music of my life that came out of her rosy lips.

“Aaaa Diii…… I love you…” she stammered. My heartbeat stopped as I heard my name on her lips. “Adi, I kept my word, Adi.”

I could not control my tears and hugged her with all my might. My heart ruptured with emotions. I kept on repeating, “Yes honey, I know. Why the hell you jumped?” I showered millions of kisses of her lips and face.

She kept on crying, “Adi I kept my word……” tears were flowing from her eyes.

Time stood still. We froze there with our arms around each other crying and consoling each other. I sat still with Titli lying on my lap. I was caressing her face and she held my arms across her chest. The sky was becoming dark and the stars began to show themselves. It was a night of thousand moons.

She cooed in my ears, “Honey, hold me tightly. I want to sleep peacefully in your arms.”

I nodded my head, “Yes baby, no one is going to take you away from me this time. You close your eyes honey. I will guard you with my life.”

Every night from my hazy eyes,
It was not tears but blood and ice.
Your loving thoughts flooded at nights,
I kept tossing on bed as my heart fights.
I kept my word; Adi; I want to sleep,
Till the dawn on the east about to peep.
Hold me close, hold me tight
I do not want any sleepless night.

Post by josef »

Night of Thousand moons.
--------------------------------

“Honey, what are you doing in this chilled night?”

“Oh! You. I thought you have slept already.”

“(Smile) Hmm... have I ever gone to bed without you?”

“No, baby. I noticed that you were tucking Bappa in the sleeping bag so I thought that tonight also you will be not near me.”

“He won’t sleep till his Titli auntie tell him a story.”

“So the mischievous devil has slept already.”

“Yes he has slept and I have put him in Maam’s tent. (Laugh) Come on, am I smelling a heart burn? He is just a cub. You should not be jealous of him.”

“Why not? (Smile) Since last four days he is sleeping between us like a huge barrier.”

“Today also Aurnavo and Bappa fought like tom and jerry.”

“What was the issue today?”

“(Laugh) Sleeping bag.”

“You are getting too much attached with Bappa. I fear, when he will return to Dhanbad it will be painful for you and for him also.”

“Adi, I have something to say.”

“What?”

“What if, we keep Bappa with us?”

“(Exclaim) WHAT?”

“Just a thought, Adi. He will stay with us, complete schooling and everything from Kolkata.”

“Please Titli, I beg you. Don’t even think of that. I don’t want another Budhaditya in my family, who is bereft of Mother’s love.”

“No Adi, you are getting me wrong. I love him with all my heart, I will love him like Ma’am.”

“I know you love him very much, but you can’t be the substitute of Ma’am heart. Try to understand Titli. I know what it is like not have a mother by your side when you need most. He is safe and secure in Ma’am arms.”

“Sorry, Adi I didn’t mean to dig your pains now.”

“It is ok Titli, now I have everything. We do visit Dhanbad every weekend. What are Ma’am and Aunt doing?”

“They are still awake, gossiping.”

“And dad and uncle?”

“Today I asked Aurnavo to sleep in their tent. I observed that every night they were boozing so I had to pull the reins.”

“You pulled the reins? What about Ma’am, she failed?”

“She was fed up with uncle so she asked me to handle the situation.”

“You are the real queen of the roost.”

“And you are the king of my heart.”

“You are looking too sexy in this jeans, baby. I am really happy that you are sexy again.”

“Ah! Don’t start in this cold night again. Remember I am queen so I have to be sexy.”

“(Laugh heartily) Yeah, baby. The king bows before his queen, my love.”

“Don’t forget that this queen also bows in front of queen mother. No one dares to cross Ma’am decision, not even my dad or uncle.”

“Ah! Lady Hitler you mean.”

“No, she is not Hitler. She is Devi Durga, very dignified lady. She respects other’s decision so everyone respect hers.”

“And you are hers Goddess Laksmi. Aurnavo is Ganesh and Bappa is his mouse. So many deities surround me. (Laugh heartily.)”

“If I am Laksmi, then you are my owl.”

“I am happy to be that.”

“Ma’am is also looking very beautiful in jeans, is not it?”

“Thanks to this bitter cold and trekking that she wore jeans but Lady Hitler has killer looks, she is ...”

“ADI, no more words. Do not start pulling her leg again. By the way what are you doing with camera in this dead night?”

“I was trying to have some pictures of the Akash Ganga constellation.”

“Ummmm..... My darling photographer. So at last you have brought me at the end of the road again.”

“(Laugh) Yes. Don’t you like this place?”

“This place is out-of-the world, honey. I like the place but the twenty-two kilometres of trekking from Gangotri to Bhojbasa has brought havoc on everyone. By the way, what made you to choose such a place?”

“You wanted to goto a secluded place with family, and here it is in the heart of Himalaya in the midst of the Gangotri glacier.”

“I wanted to goto a serene place, that is true but this is like, edge of the world. Why you always take me to places like this? First, when you proposed me it was Kakdwip, end of road by the banks of Ganges. Now, a family tour in Gaumukh, in the midst of high Himalayas. You are totally insane.”

“It is not the end of the road, Titli. The man made roads ends there. I wanted to make a new road together by taking a step further than that.”

“Ummm..... I love you for your insanity, honey.”

“Ma’am gave you option for Lucrene or Ireland for honeymoon. Your dad was ready for Egypt. You could have opted any of those destinations.”

“(Smile) No dear. I always wanted that my darling hubby would take me to places. Those places were too heavy for my hubby’s pocket. Place was never important for me, you know that. All I wanted to be with you by my side.”

“That’s sweet, but Ma’am was hurt.”

“I managed them. See, Dad wanted to present you a car but was sceptical on expressing his intention to you. I accepted his gift and assured him that I would convince you.”

“What, why didn’t you consult me?”

“I knew you would be furious but please don’t get angry, Adi. If you don’t accept, then he will be in tears. Please, just for my sake.”

“Ok.”

“What is the plan tomorrow?”

“To the glacier and back here in Bhojbasa for night stay in tent. Tomorrow we will enjoy the whole day in the sands of the source of Ganges. An experience of lifetime, is not it?”

“Yes. See, it is only nine and the night is so peaceful here.”

“Baby, because in this bank of Ganges, there is only a handful of breathing heart. So, are you feeling sleepy, honey.”

“No, Dear. Just hold me tight.”

“Sure.”

Nilanjana Ma’am, “(Distant call) Hello, newlywed, Mister and Misses Ghosh, come inside tent and goto sleep. It is very cold out there.”

“(Laugh) See, Lady Hitler’s command.”

“(Soft slap) You always make mockery of her. She is darling, idol. Let’s get into tent and cuddle up.” “(Loud) Coming Ma’am.”

.....The End of Restless sleep, Beautiful Sleep, Peaceful Sleep for all. .....

The End