Pro Member

Tu Hi Tu

Post by adeswal »

Tu Hi Tu

Chapter 1
Ahmedabad: Residence of Alok Mathur:
“Papa, Armaan nahi aaya ab tak?”
“Aajayega Manav. tu fikr mat kar. Koi emergency aagayi hogi hospital mein..”
A tall dark haired Manav raises his impatient eyes to his father: Papa, mere engagement ke din bhi emergency? He knew this is the happiest day of my life and..
Alok: Beta, woh doctor hain. And he has a very bright future in front of him. You know it. He has just become the Paediatric surgeon at CGH. You are not a doctor. You are a businessman..like me! So it’s tough for us to understand the pressures of being in the medical profession beta. But I am sure he will definitely be here by the time the function starts.
Manav: Armaan nahi toh Abhi ko toh aajana chahiye na ab tak? Woh bhi gaayab hain.
Alok: Arre woh gaayab nahi hain. He was here and I sent him to Aditi’s house ahead with all the shagun ka saamaan.
Manav looks heavenward: Thank God for small mercies!
Alok: Waise ek taraf se toh yeh achcha hi hain. Armaan toh tera bachpan ka dost hain ab uske saath saath Abhimanyu bhi tumhaara dost bangaya. Both of them lost their parents right one after the other so recently. It’s such a sad thing na Manav..first mother and then within a month father! Those two now have stopped fighting with each other and have started really taking care of each other. (Manav nods with a small sad smile.)
“Arre tum dono baap bete abhi tak yahi ho? Chalo chalo. Der horahi hain. Bhai saab aur Aditi waha se nikal chuke hain”
Alok: Haan haan we are almost done. Manav ka suit achcha hain na.
Rukmini raises her smiling eyes to Manav: Meri bahu Aditi ka selection hain. Achcha toh hoga hi. Hain na Manav? (Manav grins and gives a one armed hug to his mom.) I feel so good you know..21 saal pehle yeh 3 dost milke yeh company start kiya tha. You were 9 years old..Aditi was 4 aur Yog Bhai saab ki shaadi bhi nahi hui thi. Mein toh shuru mein bahut darr gayi thi ki kahi iss business ke chakkar mein inke saalon ki dosti bigad na jaay.
Alok laughs proudly: Haan ab dekho..dosti se partnership aur partnership se rishtedaari. (He turns to Manav.) De taali! (Father Son share a high five.) Ab buss..Manav aur Aditi ki shaadi hojaaye!! I am going to take a long break and go on a world tour with my wife.
Manav: uh huh!! AFTER my honeymoon.
Alok winks: Of course after your honeymoon!
Rukmini: Pehle engagement hojaay?
Alok: Haan haan chalo chalo.
Residence of Sanjeev Malhotra: At the engagement party:
“Yaar its so boring! And you made me bunk my tennis class to attend THIS?”
“Rohan just shut up yaar! We are here to keep Nisha company and that’s it!”
Rohan: Anu, but why should Nisha even THINK of attending this? Its MANAV’s engagement to ADITI! Humaara yahaan kya kaam!
Anu: One hour. Ok? We will stay for one hour and then go play scrabble. Ok?
Rohan: Waise, Nisha hain kahan?
Anu: Aajayegi. Her dad called her just now. Tu bol. Have you decided which direction to go?
Rohan nods: IPS. Right now I have Maths in my 11th and 12th . Uske baad I will do a UG..(A small typical awkward shrug of a 15 year old teenager.) And then apply for civils. Aur tum? Have you decided?
Anu nods proudly with her head high in the air: MBA. I will do an MBA. Aur idhar udhar ke universities se nahi. I will do something in IIM or XLRI! Dekhlena!
Rohan grins then his tone turns a little awkward, shy and curious: Aur Nisha? She still wants to become a doctor?
Anu sighs: Yeah. uski toh buss..dil mein kuch baitgaya toh buss..baitgaya!
Rohan immediately springs to defence: That’s a great quality Anu.
Anu: Haan toh mein kahan usse kuch bol rahi hoon? Honestly Rohan..you are just sometimes..
Rohan interrupts: Odd..
Anu: What?
Rohan gestures towards the stage where Manav and Aditi are standing and the rings are about to be exchanged: Aditi is looking tense.
Anu rolls her eyes: It’s her engagement buddy. Girls tend to get tense during that time.
Rohan continues to frown: She is sweating.
Anu giggles: May be she is having cold feet. Chalo achcha hain..lets see if she runs away from the mandap..hume thoda entertainment..OMG! OMG! (then realizing that she has screamed, she lowers her voice to a whisper) She has fainted! Where the hell is this Nisha? Sahi time pe gaayab hojaati hain!
About an hour later: In Aditi’s room:
Manav’s face is pale: What? (Everyone in the room is silent as if no one knew what to say after what they just heard.) You..you are pregnant?
Aditi swallows: Yes.
Manav shakes his head once as if in denial..his gaze still confused: But how? I mean..we never..i never..(Comprehension dawns and he staggers back a step.) You..?
Aditi wets her lips and turns her pleading gaze towards him: Manav..please..just listen to me. i..it didn’t mean anything. It was just once. I didn’t mean to..it just..it just happened.
Manav: it “just” happened? (Reaction sets in and his face turns red with anger and hurt.) Who is it? (Silence) DAMN IT answer me Aditi! Who is the guy?
Alok: Manav..shaanth hojaao beta. Iss tarah chillane se kya hoga?
Manav locks his jaw and goes to stand near the window simmering in silence.
Sanjeev: Aditi..this is not some kind of forced arranged marriage scenario. Both of you had mutually decided to get married. Beta..what is this? ANSWER ME ADITI!
Aditi: I can’t say anything except that it just happened and I regret that it happened and I want to forget that it happened.
Manav turns and strides towards her and shakes her: You regret? Well..I regret too! you want to forget? Fine then forget. But what about me? You want me to forget too? You want me to forget that you had..that you..(He pushes her away with a groan of disgust.) You want me to forget that you are carrying someone else’s child? I am sorry. I can’t forget. And now YOU can forget about this whole thing..this engagement..this marriage..this building of life and business together..everything. mom..let’s go.
Alok: Manav..
Manav: I SAID LET’S GO! (He goes till the door and turns back..his eyes black with anger and hatred.) I won’t forget any of this Aditi and I won’t let you forget it either. I will make you pay for this. Mark my words Aditi..YOU WILL PAY!
adeswal
Pro Member

Re: Tu Hi Tu

Post by adeswal »

2 days later: Nisha’s residence:
Anu shakes the blanket covered girl awake: NISHA!! UTO! NISHA!! Buddy..come on..get up!!
The blanket is forcefully pulled away by Anu and the face of a slightly chubby fair 15 year old girl with pimpled face, rumpled bob cut black hair and impatient irritable look stares back: Kya hain yaar..sone dena! I didn’t sleep until almost 4 this morning. Jaa Anu..
Anu pulls Nisha into a sitting position: NISHA..Aditi is dead!
Shock courses through the young girl’s body and wide startled black eyes meet that of her friend: Kya?
Anu sits on the bed and nods vigorously bouncing her curly hair every which way: haan. I just got up and went down to drink some milk and Yog uncle was running to Sanjeev uncle’s house.
Nisha wets her lips: Lekin..kaise? Kal tak toh teek thi na..
Anu leans in: I heard uncle talking. She has been murdered.
Nisha:WHAT?
Anu catches hold of Nisha’s shoulders: Yes buddy. Aditi is murdered and Manav has been taken in for questioning.
Nisha: Manav? Why Manav?
Anu: They were saying he is the prime suspect. That Sanjeev uncle told the police that Manav threatened to make Aditi pay for something..meine teek se suna nahi.
Nisha interrupts: Kab..kab hua ye?
Anu bites her lower lip: Kal raat ko.
Nisha: Then how could Manav do it? You know he couldn’t have done it right?
Anu looks about to cry: Mere papa ko pata chalgaya toh..(Nisha’s own face turns pale at the thought of her own future but she quickly swallows and takes out her phone and gets up.) Nisha..kaha jaa rahi hain..Nisha..ruk..zara soch
Nisha looks at her friend with pain filled eyes: Meine sochliya hain. Zidd meri thi na. toh consequences bhi mujhe hi face karne padenge. Here. Hold this phone for me. And don’t delete anything in this. Please Anu. Promise me. I will just freshen up and change and will go and talk to dad first. And I will get Manav back home before this day is out.
Anu pulls her back: Nisha..ek aur baar sochle. I mean if he didn’t do it..
But Nisha just removes her hand and walks off towards the bathroom for a quick shower and change.
At the police station:
SP: Where were you last night?
Manav: I told you already. I don’t remember.
SP: I am not talking about what happened when you were 5 years old Mr Manav. I am talking about LAST NIGHT. How can you not remember what happened last night?
Manav: I don’t know. I went out to have dinner with a business colleague of mine. I gave you his number already. I had dinner with him. then the next thing I remember is waking up today morning in the hotel room from where you picked me up.
SP: Did you drink during your dinner?
Manav: Not much. A glass of red wine and that’s it.
SP: Did you have an argument with Aditi?
Manav: I was angry with her at the night of our engagement. But after that I did not meet her or talk to her.
SP: Did she try to call you?
Manav gives a tired nod: 3 times yesterday. But I didn’t take her call. I was too angry. I am being put through this wringer for the last couple of hours and my head is buzzing with the shock of Aditi’s death and the repeated questioning where they are hoping that I would slip up or change my answer. But I honestly am at a loss of what is happening. Aditi is dead? She has been killed? How? When? Why? And where was I last night? Why can’t I remember? (He tiredly runs his hands through his already dishevelled hair.)
SP: Why were you angry?
Manav: She said she was pregnant.
SP: Why would that make you angry? You were anyway about to get engaged na.
Manav closes his eyes in remembered pain and betrayal: Because I am not the father of the baby.
SP: So she cheated on you. (A nod with a down bent head is his only reply.) And you threatened to make her pay for it.
Manav: Look..you need to believe me..yes, I did say that but I was angry and I lashed out. I didn’t mean it literally. Certainly not in this way. Why would I..I mean how could I..
SP: Fine. I will believe you. Just tell me where you were last night then and we will wrap this up.
Manav loses his patience and just snaps: Look sir..I don’t know. I don’t remember. And why am I the only one being questioned? Why don’t you think of someone else? May be the father of the baby..whoever he is, did this?
SP leans forward with interest and folds his hands: Do you know who the father is?
Manav sighs and rubs his palms over the day’s growth of his stubble: No. I asked her. She refused to tell me that day.
SP: And later? Did she talk to you later?
Manav: Sir, aap chaahe jitni baar mujhse pooche, you are going to get the same answer. I never spoke to her in person or over the phone after that day. I never saw her or met her even accidentally after that day.
Another officer walks into the questioning room and both the officials move a little further away to confer something for a few minutes. Then SP walks back to Manav: Mr Manav, you are free to go.
Manav frowns: What?
SP: You are free to go. We don’t know who the killer is but we have come to know that you didn’t do it. Apparently you have an air tight alibi for last night..all night.
Manav gets up but the frown on his face remains: I don’t understand.
SP sighs. He is a man of 50, a little on the round side with wise sharp eyes and intelligent but kind look and above all has a teenage daughter of his own! God! What is this world coming to! : Mr Manav, everything will be explained. Filhaal aap apne statement par sign karke ghar jaasakte hain. (Then he extends his hand for a handshake.) You are officially on the clear. You can leave.
Still confused yet relieved, Manav shakes the officer’s hand and goes out of the room to meet Yograj and Nisha.
About an hour later: Manav’s residence:
Manav empties the juice glass in one gulp and wipes his mouth with the back of his hand: Uncle, ab toh bataiye baat kya hain? Where was I last night and why don’t I remember anything! (Then he looks at the down bent head of the girl and with a small smile ruffles her hair.) Nisha..hey..Chulbuli..kya hua re..aaj tu bhi chup hain? Apne Tiger se baat nahi karegi? Aur aaj toh Tiger ko Chulbuli ka hug bhi nahi mila!
Yog opens his mouth to speak but Nisha holds his hand and stops him. She wets her lips and raises her head to look at her Tiger: Tiger..I spiked your drink last night.
Manav (his face still has a smile and bit of confusion as if the statement has not completely registered): What? Come again?
Nisha’s eyes blink rapidly in fear and she swallows. Beads of sweat form on the forehead. She grips her skirt in her fists and starts talking: I wanted some pictures with you. Just..just you and me pictures. I saw you having dinner with someone in the restaurant and bribed the waiter to spike your drink. A kind of..of..drug. After your friend left, I took you to the room upstairs. (She pulls out her small digicam from her skirt pocket and extends it to him.) And..and I took pictures of..of you and me.
Manav tilts his head to the side and takes the camera with the frown still on his face: Chulbuli..why spike my drink to take my pic..(His sentence stops midway as his gaze locks on the images that pop up on the screen. Nisha in his arms on the bed..Nisha with her head resting on his bare chest..Nisha kissing his lips with eyes closed in obvious delight..Nisha holding his palm to her young breast!!) His face registers first disbelief and then anger and then black fury. He smashes the phone against the wall, turns and slaps Nisha hard across her cheek all in the same go. Alok holds his hand before he can deliver another back handed blow: NO Manav. Ladki pe haath nahi utate!
adeswal
Pro Member

Post by adeswal »

Manav pulls his hand away with disgust: Get out Nisha. I did not kill Aditi. I don’t know how she died. But I swear to God if you don’t leave now, I am going to kill YOU. OUT! (Nisha’s cheek has the imprint of his palm and it has turned red. She looks at Manav with wide unblinking eyes and a stark despairing expression before turning and walking towards the door.) WAIT! (She stops as if pulled by a chain. He comes close and makes sure he is facing her.) Is it just the pictures or did you turn me into some pervert too? (Silence and then a kind of fear enters his voice.) Did something happen Nisha? Something other than what these snaps are suggesting? (A shake of head suggesting no.) You are sure? (A nod suggesting yes.) You swear?
Nisha looks into his eyes as she replies: I swear on my mom and dad that it was just the snaps. We didn’t..I didn’t..I just took the snaps and waited until you fell asleep and returned home. (He locks his jaw at that and turns his face away from her. Nisha quietly leaves the room and closes the door softly behind her. Rukmini turns her face away from Yog in anger and tears and walks out of the room as if physically removing herself from his presence.)
Yog folds his hands to Alok: I know what my daughter did is not a small mistake. Your anger and pain are completely justified and I have no defence against what she did. All I can do is apologize on her behalf from the bottom of my heart and hope that one day you will be able to forgive her. (Before he or anyone else could say anything more, the door bursts open and a wild looking guy of about Manav’s age rushes in and comes to a sudden stand still.)
Manav’s eyes for the first time fill with tears: Armaan!
Armaan rushes forward and hugs Manav with tear filled eyes: I just got back from Delhi and Abhi gave me the news at the airport. Seedha yahi chala aaya. Yeh sab kya hogaya Manav! (Alok and Yog leave the room.)
Manav almost collapses on the sofa: I don’t know yaar. I am in a kind of daze now. Kuch pata nahi chal raha hain kya horaha hain. Just getting one shock after the other.
Armaan: Abhi was saying the police took you for questioning? What happened?
Manav shakes his head: Long story. But I am glad you are here with me Armaan.
Armaan swallows and looks away: Who..how..I mean..Aditi..
Manav: I don’t know. The last I saw her was the day of our supposed engagement. I swear Armaan I didn’t meet her after that.
Armaan: I know that buddy.
Manav: God knows who would have done that! May be the father of the baby she is carrying..
Armaan gets up: Nahi. no..I mean..why would he do that?
Manav also gets up angrily: May be he didn’t want the kid..maybe he got angry that what apparently was a one night stand turned into..
Armaan: Manav..no. stop. It was not like that.
Manav starts pacing: Yes. I think that’s it. We just need to find out who that person is. Armaan..tujhe kuch pata hain ki woh kaun hain? Tu ne Aditi ko kisi ke saath dekha hain?
Armaan: Manav don’t think about all this now. Take rest. We will talk later.
Manav looks at his friend in disbelief: Rest? Kaisa rest Armaan? Aditi got killed! I mean, yes, I was angry at what she did..but come on yaar..I wanted to marry her..she is dead now. (He once again starts to pace.) I really think if we come to know who got her pregnant, we will get the answers.
Armaan: You will not get any answers Manav. Just leave all that work to the police buddy.
Manav: Armaan! (He shakes his friend by the shoulders) You know something. Tera chehra bolraha hain ki you know something. You know the guy, don’t you? Who is it?
Armaan’s face starts turning pale: Manav..
Manav: Dekh yaar tujhe meri kasam bata. WHO IS IT?
Armaan: Manav..
Manav: Damn it Armaan! ANSWER ME!
Armaan: ME! I am.
Manav staggers back and leans against the side table as if his legs have finally given up on him: Wh..what?
Armaan looks away and braces himself before meeting Manav’s eyes: Aditi got pregnant because of me. (Manav’s face loses all the remaining colour and he just slides down onto the floor until he is sitting with his back leaning against the side table, knees drawn up and his head on his knees..defeat in every line of his body) Manav..let me tell you what actually happened..
Manav’s voice is a mere whisper: I don’t want to know. Please leave Armaan.
Armaan: Manav..
Manav’s voice lowers further: Please..I can’t take any more. Go Armaan.
3 days later:
Aditi’s body was cremated the previous day and although Manav had attended the funeral, he had stayed away from the rest of the family and friends. He didn’t talk to anyone and the expression on his face was enough to stop anyone from approaching and talking to him. The SP had come and informed him that the cause of death was repeated stabbing by a knife but the weapon was missing. Photographs of Manav with Nisha from Nisha’s camera were printed along with the date and time in the corner. In addition, the waiter who served the drink at the restaurant and the manager who booked the room in the name of Manav that night also had given their statements, which officially cleared Manav of any suspicion. Though the police had come to know that Armaan is the father of the child Aditi was carrying, since he was in Delhi, attending an All India Med conference and presenting a paper during that time, he was also removed from the suspect list. The SP never liked to let a criminal go free. But with no evidence and no suspects, there wasn’t anything he could do at this point of time and he knew that the more the time lapses, the harder it would be find the evidence. He hated accepting defeat but this, for him, was starting to look like another unsolved murder.
Manav did not know how he kept quiet for these 3 days. Aditi and Armaan betraying him has been like a bleeding wound in the inside. But somehow, on a different level, Nisha’s betrayal seems bitterer. He knew her since she was a baby..had grown accustomed to her open adoration ever since she knew how to talk and walk. Her first word was “iga” when holding on to his finger with her chubby hand, referring to him as “Tiger”. He got stuck with that name and had counted on the comfortable companionship he’d had with her. He was her friend, philosopher and guide. Whenever he was in the vicinity, she became his shadow..always tagging along beside him, talking a mile a minute and looking at him with her wide guileless but mischievous eyes. Her quirky personality and unruly tongue combined with her limitless curiosity had often landed her in trouble both in and out of her house and he ended up being her knight with shining armour. Her antics had amused him and made him laugh out loud even when he was so dead tired he was about to fall on his face.
Nisha hadn’t attempted to approach him or try to talk to him in anyway after the day he slapped her and told her to get out. Why she did what she did, he didn’t know and right now he just didn’t care. A week ago, all he had wanted was to be a crucial part of MVM and get married. But now? Now he was just done! Done with lovers and friends and betrayals. Done with this place. Done with this city. To hell with them all! His determined steps take him to his cabin at MVM, where he is currently holding the position of VP technology and for the next 48 hours, he works tirelessly making sure all the technology related aspects are handed over properly to the acting CTO. He finishes that, gets up and walks out of MVM and out of Ahmedabad.
adeswal
Pro Member

Post by adeswal »

Chapter 2
10 years later: Mumbai: Andheri West: A two bedroom apartment:
A woman of about 33-34 is sitting in the 2 seat sofa and sipping tea with a thoughtful look on her face. A sound makes her turn her head and Manav walks into the hall from the bedroom buttoning his shirt. Age seems only to have added more spice to his already dashing features and the slight grey hair at the temples has given him a distinguished look. All in all, he could walk into a room full of people and yet manage to grab the eye of most the females in the room.
“Mujhe tumse kuch kehna hain Manav”
Manav gives a lopsided smile and adjusts his eye glasses: You know I never like conversations that start with that particular sentence. (He sits in another chair in front of her and takes her hand in his.) Bolo kya baat hain. You seem unusually distracted today.
The woman looks away for a couple of moments before turning back to him: My ex-husband contacted me. He wants to give our marriage another try. (Manav continues to look at her in silence) Say something Manav
Manav: I am waiting for you to complete your side of the conversation.
“That’s it. he wants me back. What should I do Manav?”
Manav: What do you WANT to do?
“I don’t know.”
Manav: Do you still love him?
She shrugs: I guess so. But..
Manav: Long time back I realized that life is never black or white buddy. Its in different shades of grey. There are no knights and demons. There are only humans. If you want to give it a try, if there is still hope in there within you, give yourselves a chance. (She continues to stare at him with unblinking eyes.) Kya? Aise kya dekhrahi ho? Zyaada philosophy hogaya kya?
She shakes her head: No. I always used to wonder, you know..I mean I know you told me at the beginning itself that our relationship is just going to be..you know..(She gestures vaguely with a wave of her hand.) That you are not interested in anything else but..
Manav grins and walks into the kitchen to get his own juice: And that has not changed. Yeh pyaar shaadi mere buss ki baat nahi hain boss. I stay clear of that. But I like you and I am genuinely very happy for you. He was an idiot to let you slip through his fingers the first time. (He comes out with his juice glass, places it on the side table and pulls her up from the sofa and hugs her.) All the best and take care.
“I think I will miss you Manav!”
Manav grins and chucks her chin playfully: No you won’t. You will be too busy with that husband of yours. So go and be happy. (Before she could add anything, his cell phone starts ringing and he moves away to pick it up.) Hello? Yes? (Then silence as he listens to whatever is being said on the other end but a frown mars his forehead.) But what do I have to do with it? (Again silence and finally sighs irritably.) Ok. Fine. I will be there..Yes..Let me check my calendar and I will confirm the dates..Ok. Right. Will do. Yup. (He disconnects the call and turns towards her still frowning.) Looks like I have to go out of town for a few days.
“Kahaa?”
Manav locks his jaw and with a faraway look on his face replies: Ahmedabad.
A couple of days later: Ahmedabad: CGH:
A slim fair girl with thick rainfall straight hair reaching midway to her back, tied into a pony tail and wearing a simple light blue with pink border sari and a white coat on it, knocks on the cabin door and opens it on hearing the “come in” from inside. No one seeing her now would even guess her to be the same girl who had chubby cheeks, a wide ever grinning mouth with wild but short bob cut hair: Good Morning Sir!
Armaan looks up from the file in his hands with a scowl on his face. Except for the slightly greying hair, he is still looked the same: Nisha..I am tired of telling you not to “sir” me. Just call me Armaan.
Nisha gives a small smile: You called?
Armaan nods and gestures a seat: Yeah. I wanted an update on that child with the 2nd degree burns. How is he doing?
Nisha: He is fine sir. (Seeing that he is about to object once again.) I just joined here a few months back after I cleared my PG in paediatrics. You are my senior and the paediatric surgeon of CGH..not to mention one of the best in the field. Interns fear you and colleagues look up to you and respect you..
Armaan continues to look at her: And you have known me as a person for how long?
That small smile also disappears from her face but before she could think of a reply, her phone rings. With a quick look of apology, she takes the call: Yes Anu?
Anu: You are sitting or standing?
Nisha: Sitting
Anu: Brace yourself buddy. Manav is back! (Nisha’s still face remains devoid of all expression.) Oye, tu sunn rahi hain mein kya bolrahi hoon?
Nisha: Yeah..Where..How do you know?
Anu: I am at the office now. Today is the BOD meeting na. He just walked into the building and I saw him go to the conference room.
Nisha: Ok. I will talk to you later.
Anu: He will probably leave soon after the meeting. So don’t worry. Ok? But I just thought you should know..in case..take care ok?
Nisha: Yeah..Bye. (Armaan gives her a questioning look.) Manav is in Ahmedabad. He has come to attend the BOD meeting at dad’s office.
Armaan sighs and runs a tired hand over his face: 10 years and I still miss him like hell. Don’t you miss him Nisha?
Nisha gets up: Chalti hoon sir. I still have a few patients in the OPD. (And leaves.)
Armaan picks up the phone and makes a call: Abhi?
Abhi: Yes Bhai?
adeswal
Pro Member

Post by adeswal »

Armaan: Busy?
Abhi: Nahi. I am just out of the court. When I was in the law college, I never realized that I would be spending half my time getting bail petitions signed..I tell you!
Armaan gives a soft laugh: Achcha sunn..Manav..Manav Ahmedabad mein hain.
Abhi: What? Kab aaya?
Armaan: Aaj subah.
Abhi: Matlab? Hamesha keliye?
Armaan: Nahi. Verma uncle ke company ka kuch board meeting hain aaj
Abhi: Achcha..oh..you want to meet him?
Armaan: Tu bata..I of course want to meet him. What do you think I should do?
Abhi: Bhai..millo ek baar. You were not there 5 years back when his parents passed away and he came back for their cremation. You were in London. I think you should meet him once and close the chapter. You need to move on Bhai. Its high time. Waise how did you get the news?
Armaan: Woh..Anu called Nisha just now.
Abhi: Oh!
Armaan: Toh phir I will try to meet him once before he leaves.
Abhi: Mein bhi chalta hoon aapke saath. I was there when he came 5 years back and we spoke. Not much but..
Armaan: Ok. I will call you once I am done here.
Abhi: Srutiji kaisi hain?
Armaan: Fine. She is fine. Baad mein baat karte hain.
Abhi: Take care bhai.
Armaan disconnects the call, leans back in his chair and sighs. “So many years..so much water under the bridge..but is it? Sometimes I feel as if the water is still. Has been still for the past decade. so many what if scenarios..enough avoiding now! I am going to make him sit and listen to me and I am going to talk! Come what may!”
CGH: OPD:
Nisha tickles the toddler’s neck making him gurgle and bounce in his mom’s lap: Ghabraane ki koi baat nahi hain. Its just common cold caused probably due to the change in climate. You said you have recently shifted to Ahmedabad, right? Don’t worry. Just use these medicines and see for a couple of days. If there is no improvement or if he starts having temperature, bring him back for another check up.
The mother gives a tired smile: Thank you Dr Nisha. (She lifts up the kid into her arms and juggles the baby bag, stuffs the prescription into it and adjusts the child properly in her arms) Beta..doctor ko bye bye bolo. (The kid instead of waving gives another bounce, a happy chuckle and stuffs his fist into his mouth drooling all over his shirt)
Nisha gives him a tender smile: He is teething too. Rub some teething gel over the gums. It will reduce his discomfort. (The mother nods another thank you and leaves. Before the door gets closed, there is a cursory knock and another doctor of about 28-29 years of age, a bit on the shorter side, handsome attractive features and a cheerful expression walks in.)
“Good Morning Dr Nisha!”
Nisha: Good morning Dr Vishaal. What can I do for you?
Vishaal settles himself down in the opposite chair: I wanted to do some advance booking. (Nisha looks at him as if waiting for him to continue. Realizing that getting this lady to be actually curious and talkative about something is an impossible task, he exhales loudly and continues) Talk over CGH is that you are going to be one of THE best paediatricians this hospital has ever seen. So I thought I will do some advance booking for the time when Anu and I have kids of our own so that our kids get the best doctor.
Nisha’s eyes smile slightly: Thank you for the compliment Dr Vishaal but irrespective of how good or bad I am, I don’t think Anu would take your kids to any other doctor. So you..or rather your kids are stuck with me.
Vishaal acknowledges that fact with a slight bow of his head: Woh toh hain Dr Nisha. This friendship that both of you share, is very rare. Both of you are very lucky, you know. Oh..by the way, we are going to a movie tonight. Want to come along?
Nisha: No thank you. I have a full OPD tomorrow and have to assist Dr Armaan in a surgery which is at 6 am. You guys go along and enjoy.
Vishaal gets up: one of these days, Dr Nisha..you are going to run out of excuses. We are not going to give up. (And leaves Nisha’s cabin)
Once MVM Industries now VM Industries: Conference room:
Manav is pacing from one corner of the room to the other like a caged lion: Crazy! Everyone in here has gone crazy. Certified lunatics!
“Mr Mathur, please..listen to us. There is no other way..”
Manav whirls around to face the speaker. A 60+ man who had been the head of the company’s legal team for the last 3 decades: Mr Khanna, let me make one thing very clear. I am NO LONGER a part of this company. If it hadn’t been my dad’s wish in his will, I would have sold all my shares and cut myself off completely.
Khanna: I understand that Mr Mathur. (A slight pause and then his voice turns tentative and soft) Aditi ke jaane ke baad Malhotra sahib ne apna partnership tod diya aur apne shares inn dono ko bechkar US chalegaye. MVM Industries VM Industries bangaya. And your father and Vermaji ran it quite well. After your parents passed away, handling such a huge company single handedly has become too much for Vermaji too. And as you can see, VM Industries is in the verge of closing down now. It’s been operating in red for the last year and any longer..
Manav: So shut it down! (He looks at Yograj) Sorry uncle but isn’t it a better option?
“Sir..please. It’s not just about the company. There are about 1000 families living under this company. The workers here have been with VM for the last so many decades. Hum sab ke baare mein toh sochiye sir. Aap company band kardenge toh hum sab ka kya hoga?”
Manav looks at the Union leader and his obvious pain and anger. If it was just about the company, he would have just said “to hell with it” and walked out. But 1000 families! Their livelihood! Is it fair to jut brush off and walk away? All said and done it was his father’s company too. His father had been a part of it until his dying day. Can he turn his back on all that? But this??!!
Khanna observes that Manav’s pacing has stopped. He realizes that while none of their arguments made any impact on him, the desperation of the union leader has got to him: Mr Mathur..Manav..please..just listen to what I have to say. To bring this company out of red, we need loan. A large amount. You and Mr Verma are the majority shareholders. Even if you do apply for a loan jointly, the banks will not approve because you are a sleeping partner and as you yourself rightly said, there is nothing holding you down here. You can walk out at any time. If we are to present a united front for the loan sanction, both of you need to prove that you are one team. And the fastest and the best way to prove that is..
Yograj continues: To marry my daughter.
Manav’s face once again takes the look of utter disbelief: Marry NISHA? Uncle, she is just a kid!
Yograj for the first time smiles: She is almost 26 Manav. A paediatrician working in CGH. She has grown up.
Manav digests that titbit for a few moments then: And she is younger to me by 15 years! Jeez! I mean..NISHA?