Tu Hi Tu

adeswal
Pro Member

Re: Tu Hi Tu

Post by adeswal »

Chapter 10
Manav also gets up: Reopen? But its 10 yr old cold case. You really think you will find something new in that now Rohan?
Rohan looks at the brightening sky: Dekhte hain Manavji. Kahi na kahi kuch na kuch toh milega. I will talk to the DIG today. (Then something strikes him) Waise why did you get down from the dias last night?
Manav: I got a call from one of my ex colleagues in Mumbai. He was shifting off to US and wanted to say bye. (Rohan nods and both men remain pensive for a few moments) Aur mujhe kya karnahoga Rohan? Should I ask Nisha to take off for a few days or something?
Rohan: No. Right now all we have is a suspicion and gut feeling. So just make sure she is never alone or goes with anyone other than the people we can trust blindly. You know what I mean?
Manav nods: May be I should change the cars too.
Rohan: Not a bad idea actually. And until that happens, you can drop her and pick her up. Or I can send a cop in a civil dress as a temporary driver.
Manav: Agar zaroorat hua toh mein kehdoonga. Abhi keliye I will be that driver.
Rohan: Chinta mat keejiye Manavji. Hum sab hain na. Nisha ko kuch nahi hoga.
Manav starts walking towards the house but turns back: One question Rohan..how can Aditi’s murder and this attempt be related? I mean I had already broken off the engagement by then, right?
Rohan: And Aditi or her family never made any attempt to patch things up?
Manav sighs: Yes. They did. She tried to call me and her father met my parents..
Rohan nods: Then may be whoever it was, didn’t want the patch up to happen. (Then shrugs) As I said, at this point I am just doing a random guess work.
Both men shake hands and exchange number and mail ids and part for the day.
At home:
After calling CGH and confirming her OPD appointments, Nisha starts getting ready for the day. Before going to the shower, she opens the wardrobe and is trying to decide what to wear for the day ahead when a hand touches her shoulder from behind. Startled, she gives a small squeak and turns to face her husband: Aap? Aap kab aaye? I didn’t hear..(He cups her cheeks with his palms and continues to look into her eyes as if searching for something) Kya hua? Aise kyon dekhrahe hain?
Manav: Bataya kyon nahi Nisha?
Nisha blinks a little apprehensively: Kya? Kya nahi bataya? Mein..mein kuch samjhi nahi.
Manav: Bataya kyon nahi ki tum mujhse pyaar karti ho? You loved me all those years ago..you love me still..yet you never told me..not once. Why Nisha?
Nisha looks like a deer caught in headlights. She stumbles back before turning away and hugging herself: How..how did you know?
Manav comes to stand in front of her once again as if he doesn’t want her hiding herself any more: That’s not important Nisha. Its true isn’t it? Why didn’t you say something?
Nisha swallows but refuses to look into his eyes: Aur agar kehti toh aap kya kehte? Would you have believed me? Or would you have laughed and brushed it off? Or felt..felt..disgusted that..you yourself kept saying na..I was 15 to your 30.
Manav thinks for a few moments before once again cupping her cheeks and pulling her close, this time refusing to let her look away from his eyes: May be you are right. May be I wouldn’t have taken it seriously..would have laughed even. Par itne saal..mein toh yahaa tha bhi nahi..tum akeli..aur agar mein kabhi waapas nahi aata toh?
Nisha wets her lips and decides to take the leap: Toh shaayad zindagi bhar mein aap ka intezaar karti.
He snatches her into his arms at that and hugs her tight. His breath shudders out as the complete depth of her feelings hit him: Nisha!! Aur jab mein waapas aaya toh..I was like a..and yet you still! (He closes his eyes and just experiences the feeling of her in his arms) Thank you Nisha. Thank you so very much. I mean it. (He once again cups her cheeks and places a tender kiss on her forehead as a tribute.) Thank you. (Her tremulous smile turns into a soft hiccupping laugh just before she dives into his arms and hugs him tight. He is not angry with me..he is not disgusted.. He said thank you..That means he is ok with the fact that I love him! Thank you God! Thank you for this! Manav tilts her head up and places a soft kiss on her lips.) Much as I want to stay like this, I think we better get ready. (Nisha smiles and both part reluctantly to begin their day) I will drop you at CGH on my way.
Nisha: Why? I can manage.
Manav: Kyon ka sawaal hi paida nahi hota. Meri biwi hain aur mein meri biwi ko drop karna chaahta hoon. Buss! Ab no arguments. Go have your shower fast. I have a meeting at 9. (She grabs the towel and goes into the bathroom only to have him say loudly through the closed door.) And I already told you no more ji business. (And her face splits into a wide grin.)
Both of them literally gulp down the breakfast in a hurry. But before either could get up, HK places tall glasses of freshly squeezed juice in front of them.
Nisha shakes her head and puts it back in the tray: Mera hogaya kaka.
Before HK could open his mouth and protest, Manav places the glass back in front of her, gulps down his own juice, folds his hands and looks at her with his eyebrow raised as if waiting for her to finish hers. She sighs with a smile and drinks half glass and puts it back. He picks it up again and places it in front of her.
HK laughs softly: Ek tu hi hain beta jo isko badal sakta hain.
Left with no choice, she finishes the rest of the juice and with a wave at HK, both of them leave. HK looks at the Bappa idol with a look of gratitude.
On the way to CGH, Nisha spots Sruti waiting on the road: Manav..she is my senior in CGH. Can you stop the car once please? (Manav stops the car and Nisha gets down.) Dr Sruti! You need a lift? Mein CGH hi jaarahi hoon
Sruti gives a relieved smile: Oh thank you Nisha. (Nisha opens the back door and Sruti gets in. Once Nisha is also seated, Manav starts the car.)
Nisha: Dr Sruti, this is my husband Manav. Manav, Dr Sruti is my senior and an OBG at CGH. (Manav looks at Sruti through the rearview mirror and smiles a hello.)
Sruti: Nisha batarahi thi ki aap VM Industries mein partner hain..Nisha ke papa ke saath.
Manav smiles: Ji.
Sruti: Mere baba VM Industries mein kaam karte the. Yeh toh kuch 7 saal puraani baat hain. He worked there for a couple of years before he had his heart attack. Ab toh woh nahi rahe
Manav: Oh I am sorry to hear that. What was he?
Sruti: Prakash Trivedi. He used to head the Marketing Team.
Manav: Oh. Ok. My father in law would be knowing him then. (Manav parks the car in front of the hospital.) Sruti: Thank you Mr Manav. Nice meeting you.
Manav nods: Same here. Take care. (Sruti nods and walks away with a smile.)
Nisha: Suniye..(He raises his eyebrow) Suno..(He grins) Shaam ko mujhe aane mein thodi der hojaayegi.
Manav: Not a problem. I will pick you up. Waise bhi kal ke incident ke baad I am not comfortable with you going anywhere alone.
Nisha: Nahi. Anu hogi mere saath. I want to go shopping with her. (He opens his mouth to object but sees the suppressed excitement in her eyes and relents. I don’t want her tense and worried. Whatever or whoever it is, Rohan and I will handle it. )
Manav: But be careful and don’t be too late. Ok? (Nisha nods with a smile, waves and goes inside. Once the rounds are done, she rushes back to the cabin and calls Anu.)
Nisha: Hey Anu..
Anu gets startled and looks at the time. Nisha usually calls her only during lunch time: Nisha? Kya hua? Sab teek?
Nisha smiles: Anu, please relax. I am fine yaar. I just..I just wanted to talk to you.
Anu settles back in her seat: Kya baat hain? Badi khush sunaayi derahi hain?
Nisha does a small twirl in her chair: Yes Anu. I am happy. I am really happy. Itni khushi..ajeeb lagrahi hain re. It will be like this, right? Kuch badal toh nahi jaayega na?
Anu frowns but then smiles determined to cheer her friend up: Chal dhat. Kuch nahi badlega. Don’t think so much. Achcha sunn tere honeymoon kaisa raha? Did you guys talk? I mean..
Nisha nods: Haan. We talked. It was good Anu. I feel lighter now actually..jaise ek bojh mann se utgaya.
Anu: That’s good yaar. Ab yeh baat sunke na mein bhi lighter feel kar rahi hoon. (Both friends share a soft laugh of understanding) Achcha yeh bata subah subah mujhe yaad kaise kiya? Jeejaji office keliye nikal gaye?
Nisha lifts her mangalsutra and swings it as her eyes stare at the movement: Yeah. Unhone..I mean..usne raaste mein mujhe CGH mein drop kiya.
Anu: Oye hoye..kya baat hain! Yeh kab se?
Nisha’s lips stretch wider and her cheeks turn pink: Manali mein. Manav ne kaha ki jab mein aap ji bulaati hoon toh usse bahut ajeeb lagta hain.
Anu smiles: Oh! Cool. Toh ab tu phir se unko Tiger bularahi hain?
Nisha’s smile slips and falls off: Nahi. He might not want to be called like that any more. (Yeh dil kitna paagal hain Anu. Jitna bhi do usse zyaada maangta hain. Kuch nahi tha toh dosti maanga aur ab dosti milgaya toh pyaar maangta hain .)
Anu: Oye..kahaa khogayi?
Nisha shakes a little: Kuch nahi. Achcha sunn aaj shaam ko tu free hain kya?
Anu: Woh toh jeejaji se poochna padega. He called us for some meeting at 4. Agar woh jaldi khatam hojaaye toh free hoon. Kyon?
Nisha: Mere saath chalegi? Shopping?
Anu sits up straight: Sure. Wow! Itne din..nahi itne saal baad tu khud mujhe shopping karne keliye bularahi hain aur mein na aau? Not possible. Bol kahaa chalna hain.
Nisha: Woh baad mein bolti hoon. Kuch khareedna hain. Aur bata..tera aur Vishaal ka kaisa chalraha hain?
Anu growls: Don’t ask! He still has not spoken to his parents about us. Honest to God one of these days, I will go to their house and introduce myself.
Nisha gives a soft chuckle: Tu ne uncle aunty ko bataya or are you both still “just good friends”?
Anu: Ma ko bataya. Dad ko baad mein boloongi. Let HIM talk to his parents first na.
Nisha: Tum dono ki jodi achchi hain yaar. You look good together. I saw the way both of you were dancing yesterday.
Anu gets a dreamy look on her face: Vishaal kitna cute dikhraha tha na uss sherwani mein! Aay haaye..mein waari jaawa..Nisha!!
Nisha grins: I think uncle also would have guessed by now.
Anu bites her nails: You think so? What do I say if he asks me?
Nisha: That you and Vishaal decide. Mein rakhti hoon. Shaam ko milte hain. Sms me the time and pick me up from CGH. My car is still with the mechanic.
Anu: Ok ok tu rakh. Mein Vishaal se baad mein baat karti hoon. Abhi boss bularahe hain. Bye bye bye.
That afternoon Rohan walks out of the DIG office with the file in hand. If it was just the incident with the chandelier, the DIG would have taken more time to decide, but that one combined with the school bus incident got the the 10 yr old Aditi murder case reopened once again. Now he has to go through the case notes and what little evidence the then police had gathered and filed. His phone rings and he picks it up: Haan Sharma bolo. Did you get the cd? It’s the complete one right? No editing done at any point? There were two videographers in that party. Have the recordings been combined? Ok. Good. Get everything ready. I am on my way.
He spends more than 4 hours going through every small bit of the video of the party. Almost when he is ready to sigh and give up, his gaze catches something and he frowns: Wait. Back that up. Freeze it. Now zoom it. (His frown deepens) Pass me the guest list please. (He quickly scans through the names before looking back up at the screen) He is not in the guest list. So whats he doing here? Keep the CD safe. I will be have a talk with him and be back again. (But just as he is about to go, a call comes in about a lead in another case that he is dealing with which forces him to change his direction and his priority for the time being.)
VM Industries:
Meeting draws to a conclusion and everyone start piling out of the conference room. Manav: Anu? (Anu stops and waits for the rest to leave the room) You and Nisha are going shopping today?
Anu smiles and nods: Ji.
Manav: Listen..uh..sambhalke jaana ok? Rohan thinks last night’s chandelier crash was not an accident. Someone might be trying to hurt Nisha deliberately. He is looking into it. I didn’t tell her anything because I don’t want her tense and worried and getting herself migraines. And it’s all probably nothing anyway. But just..be careful ok?
Anu’s face creases with concern and then later she nods in understanding: Aap fikr mat keejiye jeejaji. I will tell my dad to send the driver over. And we won’t be too late. But Nisha ko koi kyon chot pohonchana chaahta hain?
Manav tries to tone it down: Relax. Now you don’t start worrying. Rohan said it could be something or nothing. He will investigate and let us know. I will keep you posted if there is anything. But until then its better to be on our guard. I don’t want her hurt. (Anu tilts her head and looks at her Jeejaji) Kya?
Anu: Kuch nahi. Don’t worry. I will be with her and I will tell Vishaal to keep an eye on her while she is in CGH.
Manav: Good. Thanks Anu.
Anu grins: Welcome to the family Jeejaji.
Manav pats her cheek affectionately: Thank you Saali Sahiba. Now, go and get to work. Kal subah tak mujhe woh reports chahiye.
Anu: Yes sir.
Just as she turns back, he calls her once again: Arre haan Anu..
Anu turns back: Ji?
Manav: I want to buy a new car for Nisha. a kind of surprise. What kind does she prefer? Small or big?
Anu giggles: She hates big cars. Says they are more ships than cars. (She thinks for a few moments) She loves i10 Jeejaji. I remember her telling me once that if she ever changes her present car, she will get herself an i10 .
Manav: i10 . Ok. Any specific colour?
Anu smiles: I think you already know which colour Jeejaji. She is nothing if not consistent. (Manav thinks a moment and nods with a grin.) If you don’t mind my asking, are you going to take another loan for this?
Manav: No. I earned enough and most of it is in mutual funds. Will break a couple. That should do it. Don’t worry. No more loans. (A slight pause) I hope.
Anu: Fingers crossed. Mein jaau? (Manav nods.)
Evening: Around 7pm:
Nisha gets down from Anu’s car: Chal thanks buddy.
Anu peeps out from the window: Ghar mein kaka honge na.
Nisha: Haan. Don’t worry. Ab tak toh Manav bhi aachuka hoga.
Anu grins: Ok. Bye. Goodnight.
Nisha: Anu..I had fun today. Goodnight. (Anu gives a thumbsup sign and tells the driver to take her home. Nisha turns but before she could ring the bell, HK opens the door) Manav aagaye kaka?
HK: Abhi abhi beti. Ooper kamre mein hain.
Nisha takes out the gift wrapped box from her bag with a happy smile of anticipation and climbs a couple of steps before coming to a sudden halt. She keeps looking at the box biting her lip. Will he accept it? What if he doesn’t? What if he asks me the cost and pays me back? The grip on the box tightens and her steps slowly retreat until she back in the hall standing near the sofa again.
HK: Kya hua beti?
Nisha quickly schools her face and starts stuffing the box back into her bag: Kuch nahi kaka. Kuch bhi toh nahi.
HK: Itne pyaar se laayi ho toh waapas kyon rakhdi..(He gives a quick glance towards the stairs and goes off into the kitchen without completing the sentence.)
Nisha turns and gives Manav an awkward smile: Hi. Kab aaye office se?
Manav smiles: Buss abhi abhi. How was your day?
Nisha: It was good. Mein change karke aati hoon. (He stops her by catching hold of her handbag. Wordlessly he opens it while his eyes just look at his downbent head, biting lip and the nails digging into her palm in obvious sign of nervousness. His hands find and bring out the gift wrapped box.)
Manav: This is for me? (She gaze meets his once before sliding away and answers him with a small nod) Can I open it?
Nisha swallows and like a shutter falling down, her face turns blank: Yeah. Sure. Meine toh buss yu hi khareeda. (With that, she turns and goes off to their room. A minute later Manav also comes in and closes the door, one hand still holding the unopened box. Wordlessly, he makes her sit on the bed beside him and opens the gift wrap to find the latest Samsung Galaxy Note.) It costs about 38K.
That softly said sentence completely annihilates him. He doesn’t even know what to say for a few seconds and just keeps looking at the box. She thinks I am going to ridicule her and insult her gift. She thinks I am going to pay her for this..like I did after she turned this house into a home. Finally in a rough voice he says: I hurt you so badly, didn’t I? (silence) Some times I don’t even know if I would ever be able to make it up to you. I was angry at so many things..the past..the present..your silence..your seeming indifference to me..and I lashed out. I took out all my anger at everyone and everything on the first available person, you. Every gesture and word of mine had you bleeding inside but had me thinking that they were merely bouncing off your skin. There was only one place I could connect with you..get SOME response from you and that was when we were in bed. All your ice turned to fire in that one place. Every time..with every gesture you showered me with your love and I didn’t even realize it. I didn’t get the fact that your actions are speaking far far louder than any words ever could. (A slight pause) If I promise that I would never ever be such a monster again, will you give me another chance?
The few moments of silence following that seem to be the longest in his life. Then her soft hands turn his face towards her and her fingers lovingly brush through the greying hair at his temples before bringing his face close to hers and softly kissing his lips. He doesn’t make any attempt to take over the kiss. Instead, he just lets her do whatever she wants. Her lips cling to his, part and then come back to cling once again. Her tongue slides along his lower lip until with a rough exhale, he opens his mouth allowing entrance. The box falls on the bed beside them as he wraps his arms around her waist and pulls her until she is sitting astride him all without breaking the kiss. the need for air forces them apart but undeterred, her lips travel all over his face and neck while her hands dig under his shirt to run over his naked back. He falls backwards on the bed taking her along with him: Nisha..Nisha..stop. Wait..aah..Nisha..(Her lips smother the rest of his words and this sudden aggression from her turns him on like never before. He digs his fingers in her hair and pulls her away from his mouth) Uh..listen to me..please. (Love and passion drugged eyes slowly open to look at him.) Will you let me keep the lights on this time? (Her entire face lights up brighter than any light in the room as she nods. With a soft groan, he tumbles her back on the bed. Their clothes are shed in a haze and soon a soft sheen of sweat covers their writhing bodies. They roll until she is once again on the top and then she begins to torture him with her fingers, lips, teeth and tongue until he is ready to explode from sheer ecstacy. Finally, with a cry of frustration..or is it desperation..she falls back on the bed and pulls him on top of her before gripping his hair and wrapping both her legs around his waist. His voice is hoarse as he mutters) Don’t..don’t close your eyes ok? I want you to keep them open. I want to drown in them as I drown in you.
She locks her eyes with his as he starts joining his body to hers. The naked emotion in her eyes rocks his world and her arms are there to catch him as he tumbles and falls.
Rohan rings the bell and waits. After a few moments, Abhi opens the door: Yes?
Rohan gives a formal smile: Hello. I am Rohan. Yahaa ka nayaa SP.
Abhi blinks: Oh. Please come in. have a seat. I heard that we have a new SP in town. I am Abhimanyu. Criminal Lawyer.
Both men shake hands and Rohan sits in a chair from which the whole room and kitchen are visible: Ji. Jaanta hoon. I saw you in the court house the other day. Actually, I am Nisha’s classmate from school too. Meine ek aad baar aap ko aur Armaan ko dekha bhi tha.
Abhi frowns as if trying to place him and then smiles: Aah..I saw you at Nisha’s wedding. (Rohan nods) Now I realize why you look familiar. And I am sorry I can’t place you from all those years back.
Rohan smiles: Understandable I suppose. I was a 14 yr old lanky kid then.
Abhi grins and nods: Would you like to have something? Tea, coffee..?
Rohan: Nothing. Thanks. I actually have come to meet Dr Armaan.
Abhi: Bhai is not back from CGH yet. Aane ka waqt toh hogaya hain.
Rohan: He is Nisha’s colleague, right?
Abhi: Yeah. Well..her senior actually. CGH had that issue while hiring Nisha na..(He gives a disgusted look) Honestly, I tell you..this society and its double standards! Anyway, when they raised the issue, bhai recommended and argued in her favour. I don’t even think he ever told her that.
Rohan nods: He knew Nisha for a long time, right?
Abhi smiles: Yeah. Both of us do. I used to tag along with my brother and she used to tag behind Manav.
Rohan: And Armaan knew Aditi too, right?
Abhi’s face turns serious: Any particular reason you are asking that question now?
Rohan: All this is probably nothing but I wanted to clarify a few things with Dr Armaan.
The lawyer in Abhi recognises that tone and language: Can you tell me what this is about? May be I can help you?
Rohan: Yesterday there was a party held at Gokhle Marg. It was a kind of a wedding reception of..
Abhi sits and crosses his legs: Nisha and Manav. I know. I heard about it.
Rohan: There was a small accident..ya yu kahoo ki there was an incident. One of the chandeliers almost fell on Nisha.
Abhi gets startled: WHAT? Is she hurt?
Rohan: No. Luckily. The thing is it was not an accident. Someone deliberately cut the rope.
Abhi: Whoa whoa..why..who would do something like THAT? I mean..Nisha ne kisi ka kya bigaada hain?
Rohan answers that question with a question of his own: Did your brother attend the function?
Abhi huffs out a small laugh: No. Neither of us was invited.
Rohan: Then why was his car parked near the hall?
adeswal
Pro Member

Post by adeswal »

Chapter 11
Abhi gives Rohan an incomprehending look: Bhai’s car? Are you sure?
Rohan: Ji. It’s covered in the video coverage taken to show the hall decoration. It shows Armaan unlocking and getting into the car and driving off.
Abhi shakes his head: But why would my brother do something like that? There is some mistake Mr Rohan. It must be some kind of coincidence.
Rohan: That’s what I need to clarify.
Abhi gets up: Has a complaint been filed? Does he need to come to the station?
Rohan: Please. Aisa kuch nahi hain. I saw the video and I just want to know what he was doing in the same place at the same time.
Abhi starts pacing and then suddenly stops: You said Gokhle Marg, right? (Rohan nods) City Centre Hospital is in the same street. My brother is a consultant over there. He performs surgeries. May be he went to that hospital.
Rohan: The hospital does not have parking?
Anger snaps in Abhi’s eyes: May be the parking was full. There must be some reason because I refuse to believe my brother would even THINK of doing something like this.
There is a sound of key turning in the lock and a couple of moments later, Armaan enters. His gaze falls on both the men. He smiles at Abhi, frowns a little at Rohan before smiling in recognition: Rohan right? Nisha’s friend? (Both men shake hands) cleared your IPS, is it?
Rohan smiles: Ji. My first posting is here and I just joined the duty.
Armaan throws his coat over the back of the sofa: Sit sit. Are you here to discuss something official with Abhi?
Rohan: No. Actually I wanted to talk to you Dr Armaan.
Armaan: About?
Rohan: Yesterday night between 8 and 8.30 where were you?
Armaan frowns: Most of the day I was at home but in the evening I got a call from City Centre hospital about a case so I went there. Why?
Abhi: See, I told you na. Got your reason now?
Rohan does not even look at Abhi this time: Why didn’t you park your car in the hospital?
Armaan by now realizes that he is not being questioned just out of curiosity: The parking lot was full. It was the visiting hours and weekend so..if you don’t mind, why the questions?
Rohan explains everything concisely without sounding accusatory but at the same time determined to get the facts straight: I am just checking out everyone and everything Dr Armaan. I saw the guest list and you were not in it so I got curious. (He collects his jacket and cap and gets up) Anyway, since you have explained it, I will make a move. Thank you Dr Armaan.
Armaan’s frown remains but he shakes Rohan’s hand nonetheless: No problem.
Rohan turns towards Abhi: It was nice meeting you too Abhimanyuji.
Abhi nods and Rohan comes out of the house. His next stop is City Centre hospital where he enquires and gets confirmation that Armaan was indeed there the previous evening. But when Rohan talks to the watchman at the entrance gate, he comes to know that Armaan left the premises around 7.30. The watchman had night shift the previous day and he had just come in and saw Armaan walking out. This makes Rohan think again. Armaan didn’t come and start his car until around 8.15. What was he doing for 45 minutes? The chandelier crashed at 8.10. he takes out his phone to make a call: Sharma, do one thing. Contact the organiser of the All India Med conference that was held in Delhi ten years back..well..then find out..yes, go to Delhi if required. They would definitely have some video coverage and snaps or some kind of log sheet for that 2 day event. I want that as soon as possible..I don’t care how you get it done Sharma. Mujhe woh chahiye within the next 3 days. Buss. (And cuts the call.)
Back at Armaan’s residence:
Armaan: I wonder who would try and hurt Nisha. Seems weird though, isn’t it?
Abhi: Tell me about it! As if that girl has not suffered enough facing public ridicule and this society’s double standard judgement, now this! Honestly, they never said anything to you about what happened..(He cuts off and looks at Armaan with a contrite expression.)
Armaan sighs and leans back: I know. I was not judged and condemned. In fact, the topic was rarely brought in front of me.
Abhi: Bhai..I didn’t mean..
Armaan halts Abhi’s apology: No. What you say is true. A man is rarely questioned and that girl was put through a wringer for her one thoughtless act.
Abhi continues to think: May be it’s someone from VM. May be they don’t want VM to get back on its feet again and are trying to..
Armaan: If that’s the case then why try and harm Nisha? Why not Manav or even Yograjji?
Abhi gets and shrugs: Who knows! Aap zyaada mat sochiye bhai. There is no way anyone can implicate you with something that you didn’t do. Aur mein hoon na. Aap chinta mat keejiye. (Armaan nods but the frown on his face remains long after Abhi leaves the room.)
A couple of days later: VM Industries:
There is a knock on Manav’s cabin door. Manav looks up: Come in. (An elderly lady of about 55-56 walks inside hesitantly but Manav immediately smiles and gets up.) Menakaji..sit sit. Kya baat hain? Any problem? You look..worried. (Wordlessly, she extends a paper to him and after reading the first couple of lines, he looks up with startled eyes) You are resigning? Why? Menakaji..you have been with us for more than 20 years now. Is there any problem? With the paycheck or..
Menaka shakes her head even before the sentence is complete: Nahi nahi aisa kuch nahi hain Manav. Daraasal aaj kal..aaj kal meri tabiyat teek nahi rehti. Baat baat par thak jaati hoon. Aur kuch aur problems bhi hain..
Manav leans forward and his brow creases in concern: Doctor ko dikhaya?
Menaka nods: My family doctor did some tests and said..said its..its probably ovarian ca..cancer.
Manav gets stunned and doesn’t know what to say for a few moments: Oh. Is she sure? I mean..did you go to a proper gynac or someone?
Menaka: Nahi. You know na..I never fell ill all that much. Your dad used to complain that I never get sick or take off and he used to make jokes on me being a medical miracle.
Manav nods with a smile: Yeah I remember. But I think you should get yourself properly checked out before jumping to conclusions and panicking. Do you know of any OBG?
Menaka shakes her head: Unmarried, no kids. I never even felt the need.
Manav thinks fast: Ok. Wait. (He quickly calls Nisha) Hey Nisha..that day we gave lift to that doctor in CGH..she is an OBG, right?
Nisha frowns with a smile: Haan. Dr Sruti. Kyon?
Manav: Is she good?
Nisha: She is one of the best in Ahmedabad. Kya hua Manav?
Manav: One of the staff members at VM has some health issues. I wanted to refer her. Can you sms me her number please?
Nisha: Haan. Buss abhi karti hoon.
Manav: Thanks buddy. Bye.
Nisha grins: Bye. (Sure enough, his phone pings and he gets the business card. He saves it and clicks the call button.)
Manav: Uh..Hello Dr Sruti?
Sruti frowns: Yes?
Manav: This is Manav..Manav Mathur..Dr Nisha’s husband? (His face splits into a small smile at the way he has introduced himself for the first time.)
Sruti: Oh. Hello Mr Manav. How are you?
Manav: I am fine. Actually, I need a small favour.
Sruti: Sure. Tell me. (Manav explains Menaka’s condition and what her PP has told.) Aap unhe mere paas bhejdeejiye. I am free today afternoon actually. No surgeries aur OPD bhi kam hain. Naam kya bataya aap ne?
Manav: Ji..Menaka Avasti.
Sruti jots it down: Ok. I will inform the receptionist to send her straight in. Don’t worry Mr Manav. I will probably need to run a few tests and then I will let you know.
Manav: And Dr Sruti, I just wanted to let you know that our company’s med insurance would cover her tests and any further treatment.
Sruti smiles: Ji. Aap fikr mat keejiye.
Manav: Thank you Dr Sruti.
Sruti: You are most welcome.
Manav cuts the call and looks at Menaka: Meine Dr Sruti se appointment leliye hain. Nisha says she is one of the best OBG in Ahmedabad. Aap wahaa jaake ek baar unse millejiye. (And he puts the letter of resignation away) And lets leave this aside for now. Don’t decide anything hastily. For now, you are still a part of VM and we will take care of you.
Menaka looks at the table in front of her until she could get her emotions under control. Finally she nods and gets up: Thank you Manav. (Then as if unable to resist, she touches his hair in a gesture of blessing.) You have become just like your father.
Next day late evening: On the way back from CGH:
Nisha: Tum yeh roz roz kyon pick up aur drop karte ho Manav? Mein aajaungi na.
Manav gives her a sideways look: Kyon? Tumhe achcha nahi lagta?
Nisha: Nahi. Woh baat nahi hain. Achcha lagta hain. But you always have to end up coordinating your day to suit mine! As if you don’t have enough to do at VM!
Manav: You know something?
Nisha: What?
Manav: I have a very cooperative and understanding wife at home.
Nisha bites her lip to stop her grin but her eyes twinkle back at him: Achcha?
Manav wriggles his eyebrows: Aur nahi toh kya? Raat ko jitni der tak bhi kaam karoo kuch nahi bolti. She makes sure I have my lassi and fruit salad if there is a late night call and all that. Now I don’t even earn that much. Yet she doesn’t complain. Kismat waalon ko milti hain itni achchi biwi. (Nisha looks out of the window.) Hey, kya hua?
Nisha: Tumhe sach mein aisa lagta hain?
Manav removes his hand from the gearshift and entwines his fingers with hers before kissing her palm: Yes. I honestly feel I am lucky to have you as my wife, my lover and partner. (Then he changes the tone) Achcha woh sab baad mein. Pehle apni aankhen band karo.
Nisha: Kyon?
Manav: Because. Now close your eyes. (She closes them with a smile and after a few moments, Manav parks the car in front of their house) Sit like that and don’t open your eyes. Ok?
Nisha: Ok. (Then as if unable to stop herself, she asks) Am I going to get another kulfi icecream today?
Manav’s eyes darken as he remembers the icecream and everything that followed after that: You can have that too if you want. But this is something else.
Nisha: Batao na kya hain.
The slight pout in her voice literally lights up his face. His impatient Chulbuli is getting her feet back: Arre ruko toh. Buss ek minute. Ok? (He opens her door for her to get down and closes her eyes with his palms and guides her a few steps until they reach the portico.) Ready? (She nods vigorously in enthusiasm.) Ok here you go. One..two..three..(And removes his hands. She blinks her eyes open and her gaze falls on the shiny brand new deep ocean blue colour Hyundai i10 standing right from of her complete with the red satin ribbon tied around it. Her stunned gaze blinks, looks at the car again, blinks and turns to look at her husband) You like it?
Nisha: Yeh..yeh kya hain?
Manav puts a hand around her shoulders and pulls her into a one armed hug: Isse car kehte hain Nisha. 4 paiyyon par chalti hain aur ek engine hota hain..
Nisha: But why?
Manav: That one is a total wreck Nisha. I could get it repaired but then thought..(He shrugs, then fumbles in his pockets before pulling out the keys) Lo. All yours. Tomorrow that guy will come and you will need to sign some papers..insurance, registration and stuff like that.
Nisha looks at the grinning HK and passes him her bag before almost snatching the keys from Manav and giving him an impulsive tight hug in the same breath along with a whispered: Thank you.
Manav: Shall we go for a drive?
Nisha nods: Just give me 2 minutes. I will change and come. (And turns and runs inside.)
Sure enough, within a few minutes, she comes out in a fresh cream and baby pink coloured sari and her hair brushed and left out. HK extends a scissors and Nisha cuts the ribbon. Both Manav and HK clap before Manav instructs HK that they would be dining out that night and for him not to wait up for them. He can feel Nisha practically vibrating with excitement beside him and with a soft laugh extends the keys to her once again: Chaliye Dr Nisha. Ahmedabad ki sair karke aate hain.
Both of them leave and their first stop is a gas station where they fill up the tank and go for a drive. Manav discreetly sends a message to Rohan about the new car and the colour and model and informs him that the registration is still pending. Rohan replies with an ok and tells him to still be careful just in case. They drive around for some time before Nisha stops at a paani puri stalls and gives Manav a pleading look. Manav rolls his eyes but nevertheless gets down along with her. Just like before, all those years ago, he stands and watches amazed as she gulps down one golgappa after another in rapid succession and just like before, she suddenly turns and stuffs one unexpectedly in his mouth making him back off a couple of steps with his mouth stuffed with the spicy golgappa.
Her soft giggle stops his mock glare as his eyes taken in yet another glimpse of Chulbuli: Chalo. Uncle Aunty ko bhi tumhaara naya car dikhaate hain.
Nisha wipes her mouth with a tissue: But you said dinner?
Manav: Haan toh wahaa se chalte hain na. Its only 7 now. We can say hi to them and be in the restaurant by 8. (Nisha nods happily and the car soon reaches Verma residence.)
Nisha: Ma!
Nandini, who is about to go into the kitchen looks at the main door startled: Arre Nisha! Manav! Yeh kya surprise! Aao aao. Andar aao. (She raises her tone) YOG! YOG! Dekhiye toh kaun aaya hain.
Yog comes out of the study and his face splits into a smile and he opens his arms for his daughter’s hug: Hello beta. How are you?
Nisha returns the hug: Hi papa.
Nandini: Baito Manav. Mein abhi aati hoon.
Manav: Aunty nahi. Abhi kuch khaane ko nahi. We are going out for dinner. But Nisha wanted to show you all something so..
Both Yog and Nandini look at Nisha with question on their faces. Nisha: Woh.. Manav bought me a car today..i10 . (After a round of delighted exclamations, everyone pile out to have a look at the car including CS.)
CS: Bibiji..car toh badiya hain. Aur aap keliye ek aur maze ki khushkhabri bhi hain. Baaju waale galli mein paani puri ka naya dukaan khula hain. Meine chakke dekha hain. Ek dum mast hain bibiji. Ek din zaroor jaayiye.
Nandini glares at CS in mock anger: Koi zaroorat nahi hain. Ghar mein achcha khaasa khaana banta hain na..(Then her gaze falls on Nisha’s guilty expression.) Nisha!! (She turns towards Yog) Dekha aapke laadli gali ke paani puri khaake aarahi hain. (But Yog doesn’t look at her. Instead, he keeps looking at his daughter, who has instinctively moved until she stood behind Manav with only her eyes peeping out from behind his shoulder.)
Manav: Arre nahi aunty. Actually I told her it’s been long since I had some and so we stopped on our way here.
Yog gives a small nostalgic laugh. Soon, they take leave and Yog and Nandini stand at the gate waving them bye. Yog looks at his wife: Nandini, Nisha ka Tiger waapas aagaya hain.
In the meanwhile, Sharma gets the guest list and video tapes of the AIMC that was held 10 years back and which Armaan had attended during the time of Aditi’s murder. After going through the list and noting down their time of arrivals and departures, Rohan and Sharma sit down to watch the video tapes one by one.
Rohan: Aditi was murdered on Tuesday night. And this video covers Tuesday morning’s event..and..there is Armaan. Ok. Now how about Wednesday morning’s video? Do we have that? (Sharma changes the tape and inserts the 3rd one and both start watching it) Hmmmm..(He rewinds it and watches it a couple of times before holding the pause button.)
Sharma: Kya hua sir?
Rohan: Yeh Dr Armaan ka body language.. this was taken the day after Aditi got murdered, right? Agle din subah. Look at his demeanour Sharma. (He rewinds and plays it again) Mujhe yeh medical lingo zyaada kuch pata nahi hain par yeh aadmi kuch zyaada hi nervous dikhraha hain. (He watches it for a few more minutes and then) Inn dono events ke beech kuch nahi tha kya? Uss din raat ko? These conferences have dinner events or parties, right?
Sharma: Yes sir but that night the videographer skipped..Aisa kuch hua tha. Haan lekin photographer tha. He took some snaps covering the whole dinner party.
Rohan: You got them with you? (Sharma silently extends the envelope.) Good work Sharma. Well done. How did you manage to get all this?
Sharma grins: Yeh India hain sir. Paisa bolta hain.
Rohan shakes his head as he pulls out the snaps and starts going through one by one: Policewale se bhi rishwat lete hain yeh log? (He gaze quickly scans the whole bunch before spreading them one beside the other on the table and starts the process of going through them again one by one. he looks at the glittering lights and formal dinner table arrangements with an odd smile on his face and says softly almost to himself) Nisha hates formal dinner parties. Now I understand why. I would hate them too.
Sharma looks up with a frown: Ji?
Rohan shakes himself: Kuch nahi. Let’s concentrate. (And both of them go through each and every photograph) Where are you Dr Armaan!
At the restaurant:
Nisha: So..what was the call to Dr Sruti about?
Manav: You remember Menakaji in our office? (She nods) Out of the blue, today she submitted her resignation saying that her she has been diagnosed ovarian cancer.
Nisha: Oh my God! I remember her from the time when I used to come to the office to meet papa..
Manav: Yeah. I told her she should show herself to a proper OBG and then take it from there. Then remembered your Dr Sruti.
Nisha: Oh ok. Don’t worry. I will also talk to Dr Sruti.
Manav nods and then grins: Do you even remember the number of times I have had to bail you out of trouble? Half the time I had to run out of the office dumping things on Menakaji.
Nisha blinks but she looks at his teasing eyes and laughing face and relaxes into a smile: I wasn’t that bad.
Manav: Uh uh uh..you were worse. Remember the time when you flattened all the 4 tyres of that poor guy’s car..hey what was his name? Tere school ka teacher tha.
Nisha grins: Chandra Sekhar Iyaar. Tamilian tha.
Manav laughs out aloud: Iyyar. That’s right. He was all set to go to the principal. Woh toh achcha hua i got to him before that.
Nisha this time is unable to prevent her chuckle: I didn’t know whatelse to do! Mera itna achcha naam hain Nisha and he always used to call me Nichcha..Nichcha..
Manav shakes his head in apparent tiredness: Honestly, I always used to wonder how you even got those ideas. I mean your pranks were never repetitive. Kabhi tyre puncture toh kabhi dressing like a vampire toh kabhi kursi mein ande rakhna.
(He raises his eyebrow at that) Uncle still doesn’t know about that one.
Nisha’s tongue peeps out a little as she bites it: I know.
Manav covers his face: Jeez! That guy sat on those eggs..you actually came running to me and explained in detail the crack of the eggs and how they were looking on his cream trousers. Honestly!! I wanted to get angry and shout at you but all I could do was sit beside you and both of us ended up laughing like two maniacs.
Nisha looks up at Manav with a mischievous glint in her eyes: You remember the conversation about car racing during that party?
Manav starts coughing between bites and quickly sips some water: Oh don’t remind me of that one! Uncle was talking about sports cars with a friend of his and you shouted from the other end of the table “I would like to have a sports car when I grow up Papa..one of those Pontiac Grand Pricks” I could actually see uncle’s face turn red when you deliberately pronounced Prix as pricks. I thought for sure he was going to turn you over his knee right there in front of everyone.
Nisha growls at him in remembered anger: What you did was worse. On the way back you PRETENDED the car battery was dead and made me push the car almost half way home!
Manav grins: Serves you right! (He looks at her empty plate) Aur kuch order karna hain?
Nisha: Baap re. No. I am done. I can’t move as it is!
Manav titls his head to the side: Don’t worry. You have enough things to do before going to sleep anyway. (And winks suggestively.)
Nisha, for the first time gives him a bold reply: May be I want you to be the one doing things tonight. (And before he could reply, she gets up and gestures towards the restroom) Abhi aati hoon.
Manav: Nisha..(She turns back) You have your phone with you? (She nods) Sambhalkar jaana. Ok?
Nisha frowns in confusion but nods again before turning and going. Manav sits back and signals the waiter to bring the check. He casually glances at the rest of the diners and his gaze falls on one woman sitting alone a few tables away and looking at her watch. Dr Sruti! With a smile, he gets up and makes his way to her. She sees him when he is close enough and gets up too: Hello Mr Manav!
Manav and Sruti shake hands: Hello Dr Sruti. How are you?
Sruti smiles: Good. Aap yahaa akele aaye hain?
Manav: Nahi. Nisha bhi aayi hain. She is just..(He vaguely gestures towards the restrooms and Sruti nods in understanding) Aur aap? Aap kisika wait karrahe hain?
(Sruti shrugs and nods) Friend?
Sruti’s smile is kind of hopeful and at the same time a little sad: A little more than a friend..at least that’s what I hope. (Then she looks over his shoulder and her face lights up) Lo aagaye. (Manav turns his head but his smile freezes on his face as he comes face to face once again with Armaan.) Armaan, this is Mr Manav Mathur..Nisha’s husband. Manavji, yeh hain mere dost aur CGH mein paediatric surgeon, Dr Armaan.
adeswal
Pro Member

Post by adeswal »

Chapter 12
The very air comes to a stand still as Manav and Armaan once again come to face to face and stare at each other. Finally, Armaan sighs softly and pastes a smile on his face and extends his hand: Hello.
Manav looks at the outstretched hand and then back at his once upon a time best friend without saying a word. The waiter in the meanwhile comes and hands over the check to Manav who takes it with a nod before smiling politely at Sruti: I see your companion has arrived Dr Sruti. Hope you enjoy your dinner. Please take care of yourself. Goodnight.
Sruti gives him a confused smile but nods nevertheless: Goodnight Manavji. Say my hi to Nisha.
Manav nods and goes off to his table right when Nisha walks back from the rest room: Toh chale?
Manav: In a minute. Just have to get the credit card back.
Nisha smiles a little naughtily: I thought it was supposed to be my treat? (Not getting any response, Nisha gives him a questioning look) Kya hua?
Manav locks his jaw and deliberately turns his face away from the direction of Armaan and Sruti’s table: Kuch nahi. (Then he looks at Nisha’s wide unblinking eyes and sighs) Armaan is here. With Dr Sruti. She was sitting over there alone so I went and said hello. (And his voice turns acidic) And voila!! Who do I find? Dr Armaan! Ahmedabad is a big city damn it! Why do I have to cross him all the time!
Nisha puts her hand over his: Manav..shaanth hojaao.
Manav removes his hand from hers as his eyes blaze with anger. But Nisha sees the suppressed pain behind that flashing anger: I want to, Nisha. I want to be completely indifferent to that guy. Lekin nahi karpaata. I grew up with him. My parents treated him like their own son. I treated him like my own brother. There was never anything I was NOT comfortable sharing with him. You know na..you remember right? (Nisha nods and he remains silent before banging his fist on the table rattling the cutlery.) Damn it Nisha! I am not able to forget. That’s one wound that’s just not healing Nisha. It’s still raw and whenever I see him, its like someone is poking that raw wound. Dard hota hain mujhe. I hate what he did..I don’t want to see his face ever again but I miss my best friend. (He runs his hand through his hair.) I don’t even know what to do anymore.
Nisha: Manav may be..
Manav gets up: Chalo. I don’t want to talk about it any more. Let’s go.
Nisha puts her hand in his: Manav..
Manav tightens his hand: Please? (Nisha looks into his eyes and sees his need to escape from the past. She silently gets up and entwines her fingers with his. Both of them leave the restaurant without looking back.)
Armaan stops the car in front of Sruti’s house and turns towards her with a smile: Chalo. Tumhaara ghar aagaya.
Sruti sighs a little disappointedly: Yeah..(Then brightens a little) Want to come inside and have some coffee?
Armaan’s smile slips off: Phir kabhi Sruti. I am kind of tired today. Sorry. Please..bura mat manna ok?
Sruti nods and gets down: Goodnight Armaan.
Armaan gives a small wave: goodnight Sruti. See you tomorrow. (He backs off his car and drives off leaving a perturbed Sruti behind.)
I had so many hopes when he invited me for dinner. He had looked and sounded so happy..even said he was looking forward to spending that time with me. Then why the sudden change in the mood? He neither had proper dinner nor did he converse with me properly. Instead he spent his time fiddling with his water glass with a distracted look on his face. Something happened. But what? (A sudden thought strikes her) All this started when I introduced Nisha’s husband and Armaan to each other because Armaan was fine during our drive to the restaurant. I came inside and he had gone ahead to park the car. And when he came in, I introduced him to Manav Mathur and it was like a shutter coming down. Why? And he kept looking at them as long as they were in the restaurant. Or..or.. maybe he was not looking at THEM in the restaurant..maybe he was he looking at HER! Whats going on? (Sruti’s frown deepens) Is he..does he have feelings for NISHA? Is that why he was antagonastic towards her husband? Did Manav come to know about this? Is that why he was decidedly unfriendly when I made the introductions? Nisha and Armaan work together. Has he fallen for her during this time? Is that why he is being distant with me? What do I do now? Whom do I ask? Nisha? No. I can’t ask Nisha. She is my junior not my friend or anything. Then who? Abhi! I can ask Abhi. May be he knows something. Both the brothers are close. May be Armaan shared something with Abhi! But would Abhi tell me if there is anything? May be he would..maybe he wouldn’t. But I will definitely ask. Better to know whats going on and face it rather than be an ostrich.
Next day morning: At a coffee shop near CGH:
Abhi gets up from the chair with a broad smile on his face: Srutiji..Good morning again.
Sruti pulls up the opposite chair with a smile: Good morning Abhi. Sorry to have called you so early in the morning.
Abhi shakes his head: Not a problem at all. So, how was the dinner last night? (Then his face lights up.) Is that why you called me? Koi good news hain kya? Kya mera bhai sudhargaya? Do i get to call you bhabhi from now on? (Sruti folds and unfolds the napkin in front of her with her eyes downcast) Kya baat hain Srutiji? Did something happen?
Sruti sighs and looks up: That’s what I want to know Abhi.
Abhi: Ji? Mein kuch samjha nahi..
Sruti: Abhi..I don’t know how to ask this any other way so I am going to ask directly (Abhi nods to say go ahead) Is Armaan in love with Nisha?
Abhi’s mouth hangs open for a few seconds before he starts laughing: Yeh..yeh kaisa sawaal hain Srutiji? Koi joke tha kya?
Sruti: I am serious Abhi. I want to know. If its anything like that..
Abhi gives her an incredulous look: Whoa..no. no way! Why would he..why did you..aap ko yeh khayaal aaya kaise?
Sruti shakes her head: I don’t know..but something is definitely bothering him. I mean..he has always been quiet and even a little brooding but the last few months..Koi baat toh hain jo usse pareshaan kar rahi hain. It’s literally eating him away Abhi.
Abhi remains silent as the waiter places two cups of coffee in front of them: Srutiji, by nature, my brother is neither quiet nor the brooding type. (He gets a faraway look on his face as he thinks back to his childhood and adolescent days.) He was so fun loving. Always had a great sense of humour and smile on his face and a group of friends around him. He was my rock when our parents passed away..
Sruti frowns: Then what made him change so much? I mean I don’t even know the Armaan you are talking about.
Abhi folds his hands, looks away for a few silent moments before looking back at Sruti: The two biggest mistakes that my brother made in his life are Manav and Aditi.
Sruti: Manav? Kaun Manav? You mean Manav Mathur? (He nods.) Armaan and Manav know each other? (He nods again. Sruti’s confusion turns into incomprehension) But then why did they behave like strangers when I introduced them last night?
Abhi frowns: Last night? (Sruti nods and explains the events of previous night. Abhi remains silent for a few moments.) Manav and Armaan were best friends Srutiji..until Aditi. Trust me Srutiji, whatever happened..it was not bhai’s fault. Ek taraf se dekhajaaye toh Manav ka gussa bhi jaayaz hain. I understand. I just wish he hears out bhai’s side of story once instead of..(He puts the half finished coffee cup back on the table) You know, I wish neither Manav nor Aditi entered my brother’s life.
Sruti frowns: Aditi..name sounds..I don’t know..kind of familiar. Where is she now?
Abhi: She is dead. (Before he could say more or she could ask, he gets a call and he talks for a few moments before ending it with an “I am on my way”) Sorry Srutiji..I have to go. Some new evidence the DA has got hold of in the case that I am handling. (He quickly settles the bill and gets up) Mera vishwaas keejiye..bhai thinks the world of you. (And leaves, his quick strides carrying him to his car.)
Around the same time: At CGH: Nisha’s cabin:
There is a soft knock and Nisha looks up to see Rohan: Hi!
Rohan in his police dress, enters with a smile: Hi. Howz it going?
Nisha gestures him to sit: Buss chalraha hain. Aaj inspector saab CGH mein?
Rohan raises his eyebrows: What..I can’t come to say hi to my friend?
Nisha leans back in her chair: Haan. You can do that but something tells me its official.
Rohan grins and nods: Yeah. But nothing serious. Just came to meet someone and clear a few things. Aur phir socha tumse bhi milta chaloo. (Just then the nurse comes and informs her about a new child in the paediatric ward and Nisha gets up) Tum jaao Nisha. We will catch up later.
Nisha nods: Anu ka birthday aaraha hain Rohan. Parson.
Rohan slaps his forehead: Jeez I forgot. She would have killed me. Chalo teek hain. Let’s plan and meet on that day. (He grins suddenly.) Hey bahut din hogaye since we went clubbing. So lets do that na.
Nisha hesitates: Manav..
Rohan: Haan toh he can also join us na. Usme kya hain?
Nisha’s face brightens in anticipation: I will talk to Manav and Anu.
Rohan nods: Do that and let me know the final plan. Ok? (Then his gaze softens.) Achchi lagrahi ho Nisha. (She gives him a questioning look to which he gestures to her smiling face.) Your face..its happy and its good. (With a tiny wave, both part ways outside her cabin. Nisha goes towards the paediatric ward and Rohan goes towards Armaan’s cabin and enters after knocking.) Hello Dr Armaan.
Armaan looks up with a frown: Hello Rohan. Come. Have a seat. (Rohan sits.) Some more questions?
Rohan: Ji. Just two.
Armaan leans back in his chair: Fire away.
Rohan looks into Armaan’s eyes: You came out of City Centre hospital at 7.30 and got into your car at 8.15..
Armaan: Yes. I came out at 7.30 but at the gate I met one of my classmate from medical college days. Dr Rastogi. He is in Ahmedabad for a brief visit and we were catching up. (Armaan pulls out his wallet, searches and extracts a business card.) Here is his card. You can call and confirm if required.
Rohan takes the card with a nod: Armaan, 10 saal pehle jab Aditi ka murder hua tha..you were in Delhi attending a conference, right?
Armaan gets confused: Yes but why are you asking me that now?
Rohan: That case has been reopened again. I am handling it.
Armaan: What?
Rohan nods: Ji.
Armaan leans forward: Koi naya evidence aaya hain kya?
Rohan: I am looking at all angles and hence these questions. So please..you were in Delhi attending a conference, right?
Armaan: Yes. I came back to Ahmedabad the evening after Aditi was killed.
Rohan: And the night she was killed, you were in Delhi?
Armaan: Yes.
Rohan: There was a formal dinner party that night, right?
Armaan nods: Yes.
Rohan: Did you attend?
Armaan looks away: Why do you ask?
Rohan’s eyes turn a little frosty though his voice remains polite: Maaf keejiye Armaan par yeh mere sawaal ka jawaab nahi hain.
Armaan sighs: No. I did not attend it.
Rohan: Why?
Armaan: Because I got drunk that night. I was not..not fit for company. In fact, I had a hangover next day and it was obvious to a lot of other doctors and colleagues. Some of them even commented and cracked jokes about it. (A moment of silence and then) Is there anything else?
Rohan gets up: No sir. Nothing else. Thank you for your time. Chalta hoon.
Armaan nods and both men shake hands before Rohan picks up his jacket and leaves.
Sruti enters her cabin in CGH to find Rohan sitting and waiting for her. He gets up as soon he sees her: Hello. Aap Dr Sruti hain?
Sruti nods: Ji?
Rohan: I am Rohan. Yahaa ka naya SP.
Sruti gestures him to sit and takes her seat: Boliye. Is it about the rape case that came in the other day?
Rohan shakes his head: That guy is still on the run. No. This is about something else. Actually a 10 yr old murder case got reopened recently Dr Sruti and while I was going through the general info about the victim, I came to know that she was your patient.
Sruti: 10 years back..then I was working at Metro Hospital.
Rohan: Mujhe usske baare mein kuch information chahiye.
Sruti smiles with regret: Mr Rohan..baat duss saal puraani hain. So I can’t help you without the case file. Haan, agar aap mujhe uss hospital se woh file laasakte hain toh I could probably tell you something.
Rohan gets up: Ok. I will see what I can do. thank you for your time Dr Sruti.
Sruti also gets up: You are most welcome. (With a nod Rohan leaves.)
That night: Manav’s residence:
Nisha is in the kitchen cooking and talking over the phone at the same time: Yeah..just got back home. HK nahi hain na..
Anu on the other end: Kyon? Uncle ke ghar waapas chalegaye kya?
Nisha: Arre nahi re. He went out of town. Unke koi rishtedaar ki shaadi hain. 3 din mein waapas aajayenge.
Anu: Toh Dr Nisha aaj khud khaana pakaarahi hain..hmmm..not bad. Whats the menu?
Nisha stirs the onions in the pan: Pasta.
Anu sits up: White ya red?
Nisha smiles and checks the boiling pasta: White. Aaj Rohan aaya tha CGH.
Anu: Yeah he told me. You and Jeejaji are coming for my birthday thing, right?
Nisha: I think so. He is still on a call. Ghar mein aate hi he went into the study with the phone in his hand. So didn’t get a chance to ask. (A pair of masculine arms wrap around her from behind bringing a startled squeak from her.)
Manav: Didn’t get a chance to ask me what?
adeswal
Pro Member

Post by adeswal »

Anu grins: Achcha toh mein rakhti hoon. You guys enjoy your pasta.
Nisha: Bye Anu. Goodnight.
Anu: Goodnight. (Then in a louder voice) Goodnight Jeejaji.
Manav leans in: Goodnight saali sahiba. (Nisha cuts the call and turns towards him.) Toh..
Nisha puts her arms around his neck: Toh?
Manav brushes back the hair that’s fallen over her forehead: Didn’t get a chance to ask me what?
Nisha raises on her toes to give him a smacking kiss on his cheek before turning back towards the stove: Anu ka bday hain parson. Planning on going out. She wants both of us to come.
Manav leans in from behind her to see what she is cooking: Sounds interesting. Urrghh..pasta?
Nisha stops stirring: Tumhe pasand nahi hain?
The disappointment in her tone makes him sigh but he can’t resist mumbling: Kuch..aur nahi hain?
Nisha: Nahi. I thought we have roti everyday toh thoda change hojaayega..
Manav comes to stand beside her and chucks her chin softly: Hey don’t worry about it. Its not that I hate it or anything like that. I just find it too bland for my taste that’s all. You know I like spicy things, right?
Nisha nods: That’s why I added my own spice into this one. Thoda teekha banaya hain with jalepenos. (She blows and picks up a pasta piece from the bowl and extends it to him.) Chakke dekho..shaayad biwi ke haath ka pasta pasand aajay.
He makes a face but obediently opens his mouth and takes a bite before chewing it thoughtfully: Not bad but still..give me roti sabzi any day boss.
Nisha’s tone turns pleading: Lekin aaj keliye adjust karlo na please? Yeh mera favourite hain. Aur healthy bhi hain.
Manav pretends to think: Hmmm..badle mein mujhe kya milega?
Nisha smiles through her blush but answers boldly: Your favourite dessert.
Manav gives her a devilish look and tries to unbutton her nightshirt: Uh huh..I want a taste of my dessert first.
Nisha pushes him away with a small laugh: No. You never stop with a taste. Dinner and then dessert. I can’t eat cold pasta. (His fingers once again try to get hold of her buttons and she squirms) Chodo na..(Then she bites her lip and gives him a naughty look) The sooner we eat the dinner the sooner you can have your dessert..uninterrupted.
Both of them get their bowls and have their dinner while watching the TV and Manav updates her on the latest goings on at VM. She doesn’t have a head for business but the simple way in which he explains things to her helps her in understanding the progress that’s being made. It is slow but steady. In between, the topic turns towards Anu and Manav asks: Yeh Anu aur Vishaal ka chakkar kya hain?
Nisha: Matlab? They are seeing each other.
Manav: Casually?
Nisha smiles: Nahi. They want to get married. They have told their parents the other day. Baat-cheet chal rahi hain. Uncle is still..kind of..checking Vishaal out.
Manav: Reserving judgement, huh! (Nisha nods.) How did this GM finance meet a doctor?
Nisha: While I was away doing PG, Anu one day met with a small accident. She used to have a two wheeler then. Had a few scrapes and bruises. CGH was the closest so she went there..met Vishaal..
Manav: And the rest is history. Hmmm..interesting.
Finally dinner wrapped up and dishes back in the sink, Manav turns to her with his arms folded: Now..my dessert.
Nisha switches off the kitchen light and continues to go up the stairs without looking back: Mera mood nahi hain. (And before she can take two steps, arms close around her and she is lifted and thrown over his shoulder in a typical caveman style. Her howls turn into spurts of laughter.) Manav..chodo..(And laughingly starts punching his back with her fists) Mein girjaaungi chodo..Manav..(He carries her with his ears taking in and rejoicing in every tiny tinkle of her laugh. His vision blurs a little at hearing that sound after all these years and for the first time after their marriage. He throws her on the bed and before she could roll away, he falls on her and starts tickling her mercilessly. She twists and turns trying to escape his fingers..her giggles quickly turning into loud laughter.) Manav..chodo na..oh please mercy mercy..achcha achcha ok..you can have your dessert..(He stops and moves away a little and she tries to slip through and escape only to have him pull her back and this time, start tickling her neck with his stubble. The sounds of her laughter are like a punch in his gut hardening his body almost instantly. Her laughter slowly dies down and her fingers comb through his hair and her eyes drift close in ecstacy as his lips, teeth and tongue start having their most favourite dessert..her. His fingers fumble a little while undressing her and moments later, his soft groan suggests that any time..any day..she is going to be his most favourite main course too and her soft sighs echo his feelings.)
About a couple of hours later:
Manav: And that was the deciding factor for me. I gave my ok and took up the job.
Nisha continues to brush her fingers through his hair: That was the last job before you came to Ahmedabad, right?
Manav nods with his head still in her lap: Yeah. I was with them for 3 years.
Nisha: Your apt in Mumbai..you bought it?
Manav looks up at her: No. I rented it. You know..I kept telling myself agle saal I will get something permanent but just kept putting it off. I guess in heart of hearts it didn’t feel like home. (And he grins) But you should have seen..Mumbai mein apartments kaise hote hain tumhe pata hain? (Nisha shakes her head..her eyes adoring him) We will go one day. We can cover Mumbai, Goa or Lonawala..let things settle down a bit at VM..phir plan karte hain. (He looks up and sees her staring at him with unblinking eyes.) Aise kya dekhrahi ho? Trying to count my grey hair? Don’t bother. There are too many of them.
Nisha grins and pinches his cheek softly: Nahi. I was not counting. You actually look more dashing with the grey hair. (Manav raises his eyebrow at that) Chalo hato. I am feeling thirsty. Jaake paani peeke aati hoon.
Manav yawns and shifts on to the pillow: I was the one talking aur pyaas tumhe lagi hain. Get the bottle up na please.
Nisha nods and buttons up her shirt before going down. Manav stretches and settles down on the pillow. Just as he is adjusting the blanket, the house resounds with Nisha’s terrified blood curdling scream.