The End of Restless Sleep

josef
Platinum Member

Re: The End of Restless Sleep

Post by josef »

Chapter 15: Siren’s flute. (#2)
----------------------------------

Weeks passed; still there was no contact from Titli’s side. I tried to figure out as what promise could refrain Titli from contacting me. The answer was quasi clear. She might have promised to her dad upon seeing his deteriorating health condition. I was unable to figure out as what I should do in that type of situation, should I contact her or refrain from contacting her. All these thought did came in my mind for past days. With each passing day, these thoughts took the backseat. The restlessness was getting sediment day by day.

I felt solace to find Parineeta along side. A tiny sapling budded from the alluvial soil. Her smiles and her soothing touches brought respite to my dejected heart.

One evening after I picked her up from her college, she said that she want to goto a movie.

“Why movie? I feel that quiet boring. Sitting there in a dark room and doing nothing. It is better to watch movies at home.” I said to her.

She patted on my back and laughed at me, “Now I know why you are so boring.”

“Ah!” I exclaimed, “See I am a boring person.”

She suggested, “Yep. Ok then we can watch movie at your place. What do you say?”

I said to her, “Ok fine, but you will be late for home. What about that.”

She sounded bit nervous, “Yeah that’s true. May be this weekend, what do you say?”

I thought for a second and then gave my consent, “Ok I will pick you up.”

She then asked me, “Have you got any call from Titli?”

I shook my head, “No, not yet. I don’t know what all is going on.”

She sounded bit concerned, “Hmm... I think she is under lot of pressure from her family.”

I nodded, “Yes I also think so.” I paused for a moment and then said, “At least she could make a call from outside.”

She took a deep breath and said, “It is all fate Budhaditya. I don’t know what to say.”

“What?” I asked her. “What do you want to say?”

She said to me, “No not today, may be some other day I would tell you.”

It started raining suddenly. She held me tightly as I raced my bike to her place. The treacherous rain drenched both of us. The cold winds and the wet clothes were depleting the heat of our body. She hugged me tightly to absorb heat from my body. I could feel her soft bosom flattening on my back. A soft sensuous sensation ran through my spine. The voluptuous beauty was trying save herself from the rain.

I dropped her at her place and stood under the porch of her apartment. Instead of walking inside, she stood close to me. I could feel her heartbeat as her bosoms were touching my arm. I looked at her rain-drenched face. Droplets of water trickling down her strands created several thin streams on her dusky face. The dress was soaked and glued to her bust. Her dark colour undergarments were visible. My gaze slipped over her deep cleavage showing through the upper part of her dress.

She whispered in my ears, “Thanks for the ride. After a long time I felt lively again.”

I was also feeling the same. I mocked at her, “See, I am not that boring, right.”

She felt my gaze on her bosom and gave me a naughty smile, “You are not boring but I feel quiet naughty.”

“Means?” I asked her, looking at her deep black eyes.

She turned toward me and pushed herself on her toes to reach out my nose with her nose. I put my palms on both sides of her waist to accept the sweet sensation. She kept her hand on my chest and pressed her bosom on mine. Our drenched body glued on each other. I felt her warmth seeping through her soaked dress. She gently rubbed her nose tip on mine. I felt her warm exhale on my mouth. Her lips were tempting. I touched her forehead with mine. Her gaze poured sweltering lava in my heart, burning to the core.

She gave me a sweet smile and said, “Go home you naughty fellow. If you catch fever then who is going to drop me home tomorrow?”

I pulled her on me and said to her, “Is the rain catching fire, naughty girl?”

She shook her head, “Not at all.” She slipped through my embrace. Her face was beaming with sheer bliss. I looked at her as she ran inside the apartment. Her swaying back ignited the dousing fire in my heart. I was slipping away.

Month passed and there was no information from Titli. The glimmer of hope faded with each passing night. Her return to her abode seemed to be a distant dream for me. One day I packed all her belongings in a suitcase and kept away from my sight. The monsoon was passing by along with the dark rain clouds. The spring was peeing through the sky. The smell of fresh flowers and green leaves breathed a new soul within me.

Riding everyday with swarthy siren, Parineeta, swept me away to some unknown shore of bliss. Smile on her pouting lips and her blissful eyes enticed me with each passing day. My attitude towards her changed from a simple friendship to something deeper.

Parineeta called the night before the designated weekend we were to meet at my place.

“Hi” she was sounding very excited, “What would you like in lunch tomorrow?”

I asked her, “Why, are you going to cook?”

She answered, “Yes why not.”

I asked her, “What all recipes do you know?”

She laughed at me, “Don’t worry, my recipes won’t harm you.”

I teased her, “How come I will know whether I had diarrhoea or not, after death?”

She laughed again, “Come on Budhaditya. You will not die. And yes, don’t pick me up, I will take a taxi.”

I asked her, “Why taxi? I can pick you up from your place, don’t worry.”

She hushed, “Oh! I want to give you a surprise.”

I asked her, “What surprise?”

“No no.. If I tell you, now then it will not be a surprise. Now spend a sleepless night thinking of that surprise. I won’t wish you sweet dreams because you are not going to sleep.” She giggled and kept the phone.

Next day noon, Parineeta was at my doorstep. I was astounded to find her curvaceous dusky figure draped in a pink saree. Contours of her voluptuous figure were quiet imaginable. Her eyes were twinkling with some unknown bliss. She gave me a sleek smile and touched my chin with her index finger.

She whispered, “Will you keep me waiting here or ask me to come in?”

“Oh!” As if I woke up from a trance, “Yeah sure come in to my little nasty nest.”

She looked around the rooms, to the walls and asked me, “You live here alone.”

“Yes I live alone.” I fathomed that the next query would be about my parents so I lied to her, “My parents stay in Dhanbad.”

She took out her mobile from her purse and said, “Hey I have bought a new cell phone. Can I get your number please?”

I bought a cell phone the last week. So I said to her, “Oh sure.” I fed my number in her contacts.

“Oh!” she walked to my living room, “So did Titli come here?”

I lied to her again, “Nah! She did not come. You know how close guarded person she is.”

She shook her head in disbelief, “You bought these curtains? They are beautiful. I have to salute your taste.”

I gave a pale smile to her. I said to myself, this entire acknowledgement should goto the queen of this nest. Alas, she was not there to. I was looking at the siren moving like a breeze in the room. I watched her movements intently. She felt that I was watching her.

She gave a naughty smile and asked, “What are you looking at like this?”

I was about to say that your sway of backside was awesome, but that would be improper in the first day at my house. I only said that I was devouring her beauty. She turned away her coy face and entered the kitchen.

She asked me, “What for lunch?”

I said to her, “What are you going to prepare?” I stood behind her keeping a safe distance.

She wrapped the loose end of her saree on her waist, and her soft round belly was exposed. My gaze slipped over the curve of her narrow waist. Suddenly I got tempted to embrace her.

I took a deep breath and asked her, “Can I hold you?”

She came near me and placed my hand on her bare waist. I felt that my palms were sweating on the sensuous curve of her waist. Felt the sweat of my palm on her waist.

She whispered looking deeply in my eyes, “Feeling nervous? I fancied you from the day you hugged me on my birthday.”

Slowly I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her on me. Her bosom crushed on mine. She threw her arms around my neck and looked up at my face. Her eyes were glistening in passion. Our face came near; we felt our soft exhales on each other’s partial opened mouth. I could not resist those dark petals soaked in honey. Those petals needs to be sucked and honey to be licked. Her lips were trembling, anxiously waiting for some words to utter or some loving touch.

I stooped down to touch her lips with mine. I muttered, “I love you Titli. I miss you very much.”

That kiss was not finished. I saw that Parineeta’s eyes were glistening. Tears welled up in those small but beautiful eyes. She bit her lower lips to control those tear drops from falling.

Her eyelashes soaked and she sobbed out, “I am missing her very much, Budhaditya.”

I unwrapped my arms around her. Slowly she stepped back from my embrace.

She bewailed softly, “I envied her the day I saw her with you. She was my best friend and she was my best foe. From the school days, she was always a step ahead from me. I had affairs while she kept her heart intact for you.”

I fell on my knees in front of her with my head bend down. I shook my head muttering to myself, how could I do that to Titli? That nest bore every signs of the queen. Why I let, someone enter that abode.

Parineeta was quiet intelligent to gauge the pain in my soul. She ruffled my hair and asked, “Tell me the truth, Titli came here, right?” I nodded my head. She continued, “All these curtains, all these utensils, all those wall hangings, everything was bought by her.” I nodded my head. She continued, “Bit by bit she adorned her dream roost.”

She put her palm on my chin and pulled up my face. She wiped her eyes and shook her head with a pale smile, “I was a fool to touch the phoenix feather. I didn’t know then that my hand could get burnt.”

I kept silent all along her monologue. I stood up and sighed, “I am sorry Parineeta. I should not have taken the step. Whatever be the reason for Titli’s silence, I will wait for her call. She promised me that she would call me. Even if it takes a life time, I will wait for her.”

She gave me a sweet smile and brought her hand forward, “Accept me as a good friend? Will you?” I took her hand and shook it gently.

The whole ambience of the room became too much mushy. I asked Parineeta whether she would like to have lunch outside or not. She excused that she was not feeling well. She asked me to drop her home. While returning she sat on the pillion hugging me tightly. As if that was her last ride to oblivion.

She bid me good bye with snivelled eyes, “Good Bye Budhaditya. Please don’t pick me up from tomorrow.” She never looked back and walked inside her apartment.

Post by josef »

Chapter 16: Languid Aphrodite. (#1)
------------------------------------------

“What will you take? Scotch or vodka?” Dad asked me.

I arrived at Dhanbad that morning. Durga puja vacation started and the air was filled up with vibrant mood. Since morning, Bappa was playing with me. I had a tough time to handle that naughty fellow. He was very anxious since the day he left my home. At first, he was not willing to call me brother. After much persuasion and much bribe, he named me BuddhuBabu. We all laughed on hearing that name. I was much happy to see smile on all their face.
We were sitting at the drawing room and Nilanjana Ma’am was preparing dinner for us.

I was surprise at his proposal and asked dad, “Do you really want to drink with me?”

Dad laughed at me and patted on my back, “When a father steps in his son’s shoes then they become friends. By the way, I lost a son long ago now I can have a friend, right?”

I assured dad, “Ok, don’t get emotional now. I will pour you a drink.” I looked at his cabinet and said to him, “Ma’am said that she has thrown away all your liquor then how come all these are here?”
“I bought a bottle of Glenfiddich for you.” Dad whispered in my ears.

“When did you buy this?” we both got startled as we found that Nilanjana Ma’am was standing behind us and looking at us with fiery gaze.

Dad looked at her with pleading eyes, “Only one drink dear. Just for his sake.”

I pleaded to ma’am, “I assure you, dad will have one drink only.”

She roared, “And you?”

I muttered somehow, “Only one on the rocks. That’s all.”

“Remember only one drink. If I find you two drinking more than one then I will throw both of you out of the house.” She warned us.

We sat on the couch with our drink. Pure single malt whisky seemed like molten gold. Chewing cashew and raisin along with fruits, the drink ignited fire in our blood.

I asked dad, “How do you handle ma’am?”

He laughed at me, “Who told you that I handle? Queen Bee rules in this hive.”
Nilanjana ma’am came out of the kitchen with a tray full of delicacies. She smiled at both of us, “Pulling my leg.” She looked at me and said, “Remember only one drink.”

I felt to tease her, “Ok, only one drink. Remember you did not mention how large the drink could be.”

She laughed at me, “So you are trying to fool me. Don’t think that I will spare you.”

I joined my hands and bowed in front of her, “No Ma Durga, today is shasti how can I mock you? Either your lion or your spear will kill me then.”
She smiled at me, “Ma Durga will definitely spare you.” Our conversation went on, on all light subjects. I asked dad as how he handles Bappa. He said to me that he missed my childhood so he was enjoying that in Bappa. I gave him a contended smile.

Ma’am became serious after sometime and asked me, “By the way, have you got any call from Anoushka?”

I let out a deep exhale and shook my head in dismay, “No ma’am. No news until now. I am very much worried about her well being.”

Dad gave a surprised look at me and asked, “What? You have a girlfriend? Good news let us talk with her parents and fix your wedding as soon as possible.”

“Dad there is problem.” I looked at ma’am and asked, “Haven’t you explained to dad yet?”

She looked at dad and scolded him, “I told you the day I came back from his house.” She then smiled at me, “Don’t pay attention to his words. He forgets all the essentials and remembers things that are not required. One day, he sent the Mercedes to bring the workers and the van to my office. I am really fed up with all these.”

I gave her a pale smile, “At least you have someone to scold....”

She warned me, “Come on Budhaditya and don’t start now.”

All of a sudden my cell phone rang. I was surprised to hear Parineeta’s voice on the phone.

“Hello, how are you? Long time we haven’t spoken.” she asked me.

“I am fine. What about you?” I asked her in return.

“I have some news for you.” She paused for a moment. My heart skipped few beats. I anticipated that she was going to tell about Titli. She said to me in a pale voice, “Titli is back in Kolkata and she is getting engaged tomorrow.”

The news shot a hot bullet in my soul shattering it to millions of pieces. I clenched my teeth and growled at her, “This is a lie. She cannot do that.”

Parineeta sounded hurt, “Why should I deceive you, Budhaditya? If you don’t believe then come and see with your own eyes.”

I said to her, “How you got the news? You were not allowed to call at her house.”
She said to me, “I have sources. She has contact none of her friends. That is very unusual of her nature.”

I said to her, “I want to meet her for one last time.”

She asked me, “Do you think that it is a good step?”

I stammered, “I don’t know, Parineeta. I just want to see her before she goes away from my life forever. Where is the function?”

She said to me, “I don’t think it would be a wise decision to go in front of her.”
I muttered, “I don’t want to meet her, Parineeta. I just want to see her once. Can you arrange that?”

“I will try my best. Engagement is at home and dinner at Taj Bengal.” She answered me, “Call me once you make up your mind.”

The soul shattering news brought me down. My face became pale. I looked at my dad and Nilanjana Ma’am and then poured the whole glass down my throat.

Nilanjana ma’am asked me, “What happened? Any news of Anoushka?”

I nodded my head. I was feeling dizzy unable to decide as what I should do. I kept on muttering to myself, “What made you take that decision, Titli? You can’t do this with me. You promised to make a call but you did not.” My chest cramped I felt that someone was choking me by my neck.

Somehow, I staggered to the guestroom with the bottle. I poured the raw alcohol down my throat so as find some respite from the burning pain in my broken soul. Instead of dousing, the liquid fire ignited those reminiscences more in my heart. I was able to visualise Titli’s poignant eyes in front of me. She was walking towards me. I tried to reach her but I was unable to do so. She yelled at me from a great distance, “I will not live without you, Adi.”
“Budhaditya, Stop drinking like this.” I heard Nilanjana ma’am. I turned towards her. Dad and ma’am were standing behind me.

I stammered at her, “Can I get your car? I want to goto Kolkata.”

She sat beside me and placed her soothing palm on my back, “Who called and what is the news?”

I gave a pleading look at ma’am, “One of her friend called me to inform that, Titli is getting engaged tomorrow. I just want to see her from a distance for one last time.”

She assured me, “That’s not a good idea, Budhaditya. If you want to go, I will send you tomorrow morning. We all will go with you don’t worry.”

She tried to persuade me and asked dad to say something to me. I was able to notice their lips moving trying to tell me something but none of their words reached my ears. I do not know what I did after that. I passed out as I gulped last drop of alcohol from the bottle.

I opened my eyes and found that I was lying on the bed. I looked around; dim light was coming from the drawing room. I pulled up myself and went to the bathroom to freshen up. All the million nerves of my brain were tearing me apart. I shook my head vigorously to come out of that bound and face the fact. I took a deep breath and told to the reflection on the mirror, “Let us face the consequence together.”

“Are you ok?” I was surprised to hear ma’am voice.

I nodded at her and asked, “You have not slept? What is the time?”

She shook her head, “It is three in the morning. Both of us were very much concerned about you. How are you feeling, Budhaditya?”

I looked at her anguished face, “I am feeling fine. Can I go now? It will take about eight hours to reach Kolkata.”

She shook her head in dismay, “I have nothing to say. I will ask the driver to take you.”

After sometime as I was ready to go, I observed that Nilanjana ma’am was also dressed up and was beside me. I was bit astonished to find her dressed up.

I asked her, “What are you doing?”

She gave me a faint smile and said, “I am coming with you, Budhaditya.”
I looked at dad, who was standing behind her. He nodded his head and asked me to accompany with Nilanjana ma’am.

She said to me, “Budhaditya, this is not Mrs. Ghosh going with you. You promised me to be a friend, so I think it is a friends responsibility to stand by his side in time of need. This is Nilanjana your friend who will accompany with you.” She then look at dad and said, “Look after Bappa. I will return by today nightfall or tomorrow morning. If something happens I will give you a call.”

Continued.....

Post by josef »

Chapter 16: Languid Aphrodite. (#2)
-----------------------------------------

The car raced out of Dhanbad. My mind was caught by a tempest as what made her change so much. I was sure that she was pressurised by her parents. I had that faith in her that she would not have taken such step by herself. The question was, what should I do? How much chance do I have to bring her back in her roost? Do I have any chance at all? Am I leaping forward to a failed battle?

For the whole journey Nilanjana kept to herself. Something was going in her mind some thoughts were stirring her soul. I was able to fathom that from the contours on her face. I asked her the reason she answered nothing.

It was noon when I reached Kolkata. I called Parineeta and said her that I want to meet her. I picked her from her house and we headed to the venue.
I introduced Parineeta with Nilanjana ma’am.

She smiled at me and asked, “How are you doing?”

I returned a failed smile at her, “Am doing fine as fine as I can be. It has been months we have met.”

She nodded her head, yes. She asked me as how I plan to enter the venue and meet Titli. Her parents knew me so if I walk in directly then there can be some problem. I said to her to call Aurnavo and say that I want to meet him. I was sceptical as whether he would meet me or not. However, I took that chance.

We waited anxiously at the coffee shop. Parineeta went inside the banquet. I kept my eye closed counting number to thousand to kill time and clear my head from the angst. Every time I start counting, every time I faltered. Nilanjana ma’am persuaded me to keep my head cool.

She said to me, “I am here to handle everything, don’t worry too much.”

I asked her, “What are you going to do? You only deterred me to meet Titli and now?”

She clenched her jaws to strengthen her soul and said, “I am going to talk with her parents.”

I gave a bewildered look at her. She gently nodded her head, “Yes, let me give a try.”

I noticed that Parineeta was coming towards me with Aurnavo. I looked at his bewildered face. He was unable to believe his eyes that I was sitting in front of him.
I asked him, “Hi, how are you doing?”

He asked me, “What are you doing here? If dad sees you he will kill you.”

I let out a deep exhale, “I know that’s why I have come.”

He shook his head, “No, please go away. After much persuasion, Didi has agreed for the engagement. If you go in front of her, she will break down and my father will break down too. I beg you Budhaditya Da. Please leave.”

I pleaded to him, “I just want to see for one last time. Can you do that for me?”
He looked at my pleading face, “Ok I will do that. I beg you please don’t mess up. It is a matter of life and death.”

We walked behind him inside the banquet and stood at one corner of the huge hall. I looked around, all the guests were quiet happy and enjoying. I looked at her parents; their face was beaming with blissful smile. Aurnavo stood behind me so that he can keep a close watch on me.

Finally, I turned my eyes on Titli. She was bedecked in a gorgeous green saree and gold ornaments. She was sitting with some of her relatives. She was very quiet giving occasional smiles to the guests who were congratulating her. I felt that she was having a great pain inside her heart. From that distance, I was able to see her glistening eyes. She was wiping her eyes with her handkerchief. Her face was pale, eye were lifeless as if they were made up of glass.

I was unable to stand there for long. I felt an excruciating pain to cramp my soul. I felt my life has shattered, completely demolished to the ground. My love, my soul, my queen was within my reach but she was too far to touch. My tear buds betrayed me. My eyes were dry. Once again, I felt the same burning sensation in my eyes I felt when my grandmother left me.

My soul was void, bereft of any pain or any feelings. I stared blankly at Aurnavo. He shook his head in dismay.

He muttered to me, “I am helpless, Budhaditya Da. My dad and my maternal uncles pressurised Didi. She has accepted her fate. Her marriage is in next year august. After marriage she is going to London with her husband.”

Nilanjana ma’am was quiet all along. She looked at Arunavo and said to him, “Can I have a word with your mother?”

He was perplexed, but on beholding her stern gaze. He walked inside and called his mother along with him. Aunt looked at me and then at Nilanjana ma’am, her eyes suddenly turned void on seeing me. Some pain drooped from the corner of her eyes.

Nilanjana ma’am touched her hand and said, “I have some words with you. Can we have some privacy?”

Aunt looked at me asking as who she was. I answered after looking at Nilanjana ma’am, “She is the next best person in my life after my mother.”

Nilanjana ma’am and Aunt went away, I stood there with a thumping grief stricken heart, pouring void gaze at Titli. I don’t for how much time I stood there. After sometime Nilanjana ma’am returned. Her face was red jaws clenched; she was having a hard time to control her emotions and angst. I asked her as what happened she kept all to herself.

She only said to me, “Budhaditya, I have failed. I am sorry.”

I was speechless, stood there as a stone effigy. My last straw was drowning infront of my snivelled eyes and I was helpless. I clenched my jaws and put a step forward to enter the banquet hall.

Parineeta tapped on my shoulder, “Let’s go Budhaditya. There is nothing left here.”
I let out a deep exhale and walked out with Parineeta. There was nothing left to look back. There was nothing left to look forward.

While returning, Parineeta was exceptionally quiet. I looked at her snivelled eyes. Her eyes were red. She was on the verge of crying. Nilanjana ma’am patted her shoulder. Her soothing touch melted her cramping soul. She threw her arms around her neck and broke down in tears.

I looked over my shoulder and said, “Don’t cry, Parineeta. I will live. May be she was not for me. I loved my mom she left me. I loved my grandma she also left me. I loved Titli and thought that she would stay, but she also left.”
I looked at Nilanjana ma’am, her eyes were glistening, she spoke in a choked voice, “A friend is still there somewhere, Budhaditya.”

I gave her a failed smile, “Sure ma’am. But what happened inside?”

She nodded her head, “Let’s not discuss as what happened. Are you coming with me to Dhanbad or shall I drop you at your place?”

I nodded my head to express that I would like to retire in my broken nest. She dropped me at my place. I looked at her face, the contours depicted that she drank the venom and kept inside her heart. Probably she would never spit that out. I could make out the failure, I could make out the painful eyes that she was bleeding inside.

The road ahead was void and dark. Time and again her lifeless smile was coming in front of my dried up eyes. I was able to hear her soul shattering wail, “I will not live without you, Adi.”

Post by josef »

Chapter 17: Void eyes.
--------------------------

I tried to get out of the city but it chained me with her. Leaving the City of Joy was not my fate. In the meantime, I changed my job.
Nilanjana ma’am and Dad asked me to shift to Dhanbad and look after their business. I politely declined their request by saying that business was not my cup of tea. I did not want to lose my pride that was the only thing I had left. I fathomed that they were very much hurt on my decision but I was firm on my stand. It was a routine for me to visit Dhanbad every weekend. Nilanjana ma’am asked me whether I had any inclination on Parineeta. I laughed her away saying that I am not going to fall in love with anyone again. I told her that all my loved ones move away from me. She returned a pale smile and asked not to forget them. I assured that they were the only persons left in this whole world for me.

After that eventless soul shattering evening, Parineeta and I kept in touch on the phone only. We never met, as I did not want any more complexity in my life. She did find her love at last. After completing her studies, she got married that year December.

Reminiscences faded with passing time. Titli never contacted me. I could easily understand how her stern father manipulated her. I could imagine that he at first tried to scold and pressurise Titli, failing upon he manipulated her by giving excuse of his health. I knew that her hands were tied and there was no looking back to those colourful days.

Ten months had passed. Every day from that day, I counted the days Titli was to get married. I wanted to stay away from Kolkata on that very eventful day.

Monsoon arrived. It was raining again. With the rain, my old memoirs came to life. Two years back on one such rainy night I met Titli. I was in Chennai for an office trip. I was in my hotel room watching tv after dinner. My cell phone rang, it was Parineeta.

I teased her, “Hello sexy raven how are you doing? You should be in bed and not call me in this rainy night.”

Her voice was unnaturally calm, “Where are you? I was trying to call you for long time. I even called Nilanjana ma’am. She told me that you are out of station.”

Her voice made me serious, “Why what happened?”

She said to me, “Talk to her.” then she handed the phone to some lady.

I heard a female voice wailing, “Budhaditya where are you? Help me.”

The lady was crying on the other end. I was unable to recognise her voice.
I asked her again, “Sorry madam, I am unable to recognise you.”

She sobbed out, “I am Titli’s mother. Can you come to hospital?”

I was stunned to hear her voice on the phone. I became stiff as a stone effigy. My face became white, bloodless as if someone sucked all my blood. My breathing stopped as I heard that she was calling me from hospital. I clenched my teeth to prepare myself to hear the soul shattering news. I was not in a mood to ask the details, as I was able to fathom that my damsel kept her word.

I pulled up all my strength and said to her, “I am coming.”

I informed my senior that I had to return to Kolkata for some inevitable reasons.

I received a call from Nilanjana ma’am, “Did Parineeta called you? Are you on the way?”

“Yes I am on my way.” I answered.

I asked her as how she knew. She answered that Parineeta was trying my cell phone but was unable to reach me due to some reason. She called her and informed about Titli. She asked her to give me a call.
I asked her, “What has happened to Titli?”

She answered me, “You just come to hospital. I am on the way. Your dad will arrive tomorrow along with Bappa.”

I raced to the airport but the next flight to Kolkata was after four hours. The time was not passing. I kept on looking at my watch; even the second hand betrayed me. It was moving at a painfully slow pace.

After eight infinite harrowing hours, I reached Kolkata. It was about four in the morning. It was pouring cats and dogs. Nilanjana ma’am informed that she would reach within few hours.
I walked to the reception of the hospital and saw Parineeta and Aurnavo waiting for me anxiously. She ran towards me and broke down. I looked at her husband and asked him as what happened. He said nothing and looked towards Aurnavo. He was also mum. My anguish was killing me.

Aurnavo had tears in his eye. He sobbed, “Mom is waiting for you. Come.”

He took me upstairs to the ICU. I noticed that auntie was sitting on a couch with pale face. She gave me a blank stare. I felt those eyes were trying to tell me something but was not able to find words to describe. I kneeled in front of her and took her hand in mine.
She broke down, “I want my Titli back, Budhaditya.”

I looked at Parineeta and asked her, “For god’s sake, would someone care to tell me as what has happened.”

She sobbed in pain, “Titli’s wedding is day after tomorrow.” I gave her a confused look. She continued, “She tried to commit suicide by jumping from balcony. Her head is smashed. She is in operation theatre right now. Her maternal uncle is also here. He and his team of doctors are trying to put her cranium together.”

I felt that I was hit by a thunder in that stormy night. My blood started boiling after hearing that. I clenched my jaws and gave a stern gaze at auntie. Tears were flowing down her cheeks but those tears meant nothing to me. I was only concerned about Titli that time. I was unable to find words as what to say. At last, my damsel kept her words as she promised me. I could only hear her wail from the horizon, “I will not live without you, Adi.”

I grinded my jaws and spoke to aunt, “Why have you called me now? Now you are satisfied to find Titli in there.”

She shook her head, “No Budhaditya, no. I was helpless that time. My brothers and her father pressurised her and manipulated her.”

“What are you doing here?” I heard her father asking me in stern voice.

I looked up and clenched my jaws to confront him. Aunt patted my shoulder, requested me to keep quiet.

He shouted at us, “It is due to him that my daughter is in that condition.”

I was unable to control myself anymore. However, aunt’s tearful eyes made me go weak. I gave him a stern gaze and said, “I know you are her father and you have done a lot for Titli. The result is in front of you. Why are we fighting like this? Our altercation is not going to bring her back.”

He shouted at me, “Get out from here.”

“Mr. Bannerjee, before accusing someone you should look as what you did.” I heard Nilanjana ma’am roar. She walked towards us along with a gentleman in tuck and said to her father, “That day you insulted me.” She pointed to Aunt, “Her tearful pleading eyes deterred me to retort back. I kept quiet as the time was yours and venue was yours. But today neither of that is in your favour.” She pointed to the gentleman, “Today I have come prepared. That’s my friend, he is SP. Women’s cell is just a phone call away. If something happens to Anoushka then I ensure you that I will bring you down. So it will be better if you keep your mouth shut.”

He shook his head, “No. I did not mean to harm Titli. I always wanted to give her a beautiful life.”

Aunt groaned at her husband, “Your prestige and your society values have done a lot for my daughter. Due to your snobbish nature, my daughter is on deathbed. I have kept quiet for long.” She then pointed at me, “You are standing here in one piece that is also because of him. He took you to hospital when you had second attack. He changed your snobbish daughter to a fine lady. I have called him. Don’t you dare to say anything to him.”

Words were flying from all sides like arrows, hitting each other, piercing ones souls shattering peaceful environment of the hospital.

Aurnavo screamed in grief, “For heaven’s sake, please stop fighting. Didi is dying over there and you all are still fighting like cats and dogs.” He pointed to his mother and said, “You cared for dad’s health and kept quiet. You did not spoke for Didi.” Then he pointed to uncle and said, “You cared about your pride and values and did not took care what Didi wanted.” Then he looked at me and said, “I was too young to scream my voice out, all I wanted to have a playful life. Even I kept quiet and spoke nothing that day. Tell me who cared about my Didi?”

I lost my vocabulary as what to say to Aurnavo. I was able to fathom the writhing pain of a brother’s heart. Aunt then pacified uncle to keep quiet. There was pin drop silence in the hall. Only breathing sounds and soft wails of aunt and Parineeta could be heard.

A passing second seemed like a decade. We all waited anxiously in front of the operation theatre for some news of Titli.

After few hours, Titli’s maternal uncle came out of the operation theatre. We all looked at him anxiously. He looked at us and shook his head, “We tried our level best, but she is slipping away. Next seventy-two hours is critical for her. If she regains consciousness by then, then it is ok, else she will slip into coma.”

Aunt wailed out, “NO..... She can’t leave me like that.” I took her in my arms to console her, but she was inconsolable. I tried hard to persuade her that everything would be ok.

He then looked at me and asked, “Are you Adi?”

Only one person in this earth can call this name and she was in OT. I was utterly surprised to hear that name from a person whom I did not know at all. I nodded my head.
He shook his head and gave me a painful look, “Titli muttered your name before slipping away.”

I was unable to control my tears and all the dams inside me broke. My eyes welled up; I tried hard to control those tears to tickle down. However, those drops betrayed me at last. He shook me by my shoulder and said to me, “We are taking her in ICU. You can see her then.”

I asked Nilanjana ma’am and Parineeta to go home as there was nothing much to be done there. I told to Aurnavo to take uncle to home. I told them that if there were any news I would give them a call. They asked me as what I would do. I told them that until Titli opens her eyes, I would sit over there.

I went inside in the ICU to look her. Her head and face was covered in bandage. Lot of blood drained out of her body. She became like a skeleton in last ten months. I looked at her bruised face. The glow was gone. I took her hand in mine. Her fingers felt like a bunch of tiny match sticks. Gently I caressed each fingers. She lay there motionless on the bed. Only faint heartbeat could be heard. I pressed her fingers on my lips trying to pass the warmth of my soul to her. However my damsel lay there quiet, unmoved. My warmth was not enough to generate even a slight ripple. I looked at Aunt. She was caressing her daughter’s head and face with her soothing palm and muttering something in her ears. Those words of a mother’s painful heart never reached Titli.

People came and people go. Both of us sat there in the waiting hall outside the ICU. Nothing could move us from there. I was only praying to almighty, “You have taken everything from me. I did not complain to you ever. This is the last chance for me. If you take her away from me then I will surely die.”

Time to time her maternal uncle and doctors came to us informing about her health. On the first day, the doctors informed us that she was not showing any signs of improvement. I forgot to breathe when I heard that news. From the second day, she showed signs of improvement and we felt relieved. Still then, she was unconscious.

After sixty harrowing infinite hours of restlessness, her maternal uncle came to us. All of her family and my family were present there.

He looked at us and said in a painful voice, “Titli is awake now. But I am sorry to inform you that she has lost her memory and have acute aphasia, means loss of speech.”

On hearing that, Aunt fainted and slumped over there. Parineeta took her in her arms and helped her to sit down. I gave a blank gaze to my dad and Nilanjana ma’am. I was unable to come to terms and what her uncle just said. I asked him again that was he sure as what he was saying. He nodded his head and wiped his eyes.
josef
Platinum Member

Post by josef »

He shook me by my shoulder and said, “She is my niece. I did my best to bring her back.”

I entered the room and looked at Titli. Her eyes were glassy bereft of any expression. She gave a void look to all of us. First at me then at aunt then to her uncle. Her eyes queried as who we are, what were we doing there. Aunt sat beside her bed and touched her hand. She looked at her suspiciously and pulled her hand away. She then cowered at one side of the bed. I let out a deep exhale of pain. My skinny damsel was frightened to find several known unknown faces around her.

Aunt wailed at her, “Look at me please. Talk to me, Titli. I am your mother.”
She gave a blank look at her as if asking who you are.

Aunt pointed to uncle and said, “He is your father, don’t you remember anything?”

She shook her head gently. She opened her bruised lips to say something, instead of words, mute hush came out of her throat. Her eyes welled up in sheer pain. She looked at me as if asking as who I was. I could not answer her mute query.

Aunt pulled me by my hand and said to Titli, “This is Adi, you remember him?”

She shook her head again. Her blank gaze haunted me. I was unable to stand before those glassy eyes. I stepped back and walked out of the room silently. My head was spinning. I slumped down on a chair. I cursed myself not to stand beside her. I cursed myself for her ails.

Nilanjana ma’am came and sat beside me. She asked me, “What are you going to do?”

Every pair of eyes was looking at me for some answer. I looked at her father’s face. He was unable to speak. At last, he broke down in front of me. My soul was not within me, yet I felt that I should console him. I hugged him but I had not vocabulary left to console a writhing father’s heart.

After a long time, I felt my grandma’s soothing palm on my shoulder. She whispered in my ears, “Adi your love is writhing in pain and you are watching her. You are the apple of my eye. Go and help her. How can you lose her?”

I pulled up all my strength and answered them in a stern voice, “I am going to take her with me. I am dictating my decision. This time no more mistakes.”