The End of Restless Sleep

josef
Platinum Member

Re: The End of Restless Sleep

Post by josef »

Chapter 13: Courage flounder. (#1)
-----------------------------------------

It was raining since last few days. Titli was feeling feverish so she was not attending the college. We were in touch on phone. There was strict instruction from her side not to call her.

That night she called after dinner. It was earlier than usual. “Hello what are you doing? Missing me?”

I mocked her, “No madam, I am not missing you. I have a girlfriend and I am happy with her.”

She teased me, “Ok, good. At last, I am relieved from the clutch of a mad person. Now I can have an intelligent and loving boyfriend.”

I teased her, “Good then. Why don’t you then goto sleep dreaming of your boyfriend?”

She joked at me, “Surely I will dream of my boyfriend. What will you do?”

I laughed at her, “What can one do in this rainy night?”

Her voice was very vibrant, “Ummm... I will go out and dance in this drizzle.”
I was angry as she did not recovered fully “What? Are you mad? You have not recovered fully.”

“Ummm..... Yes, dear. Why should I obey you? You are none to me. I am now wearing my boyfriend’s shirt. After everyone goes to bed, I will go out to the roof and dance in the rain.” She sounded very excited.

I exclaimed, “NO. Have you gone mad? When did you steal my shirt?”

She giggled, “Your blue striped shirt. I love that when you wear that.”

I heard someone calling her name. Her voice panicked, “My god, Dad has come. Bye.” and snapped the phone.

My heartbeat paced up. She would be in danger. She has been caught and there would be a commotion in her house. I sat helpless, hitting the table with my fist. One wrong step made everything go haywire. Usually she calls at dead night. I could not find the reason why she called just after dinner that night.

I kept on pacing up and down in my room smoking cigarettes one after another. I kept on thinking as what was going on there at her house. I could not imagine of anything. It might happen that her father hits her and she might take any wrong step. She was very emotional person. She easily gets upset if the person she loves hurts her. I was cursing myself along with that, that I should not have picked the phone.

The phone rang at midnight. She cried on the phone, “Adi please help.” That single sentence hurled me into a tempest of wrong thoughts. She cried on the phone, “Adi dad is not responding. Please help.”

I sank on hearing that. However, I had to be strong so I kept calm, “Don’t worry, I am on my way.”

I called an ambulance and raced to her home. Aurnavo and Aunt were surprised to see me there. I found her dad was lying unconscious. Aunt was crying and by taking his head on her lap. I checked that his pulse was running faint. I tried to wake him up by sprinkling water on his face. I asked how did that happened. Aurnavo answered that his dad had pain on his chest. He fell on the ground and fainted. I pacified them that he would be all right. I myself was not sure as what was the nature of the attack.

He was immediately rushed to hospital. Auntie was very much perturbed as well as Titli. I asked Arunavo to accompany with aunt in the ambulance. I took Titli on my bike to the hospital. Although I tried to persuade her but she kept on sobbing all the way. I had no time to ask the reason of his heart attack then.

Titli’s father was taken to the emergency. We waited anxiously outside. Aunt and Titli sat clutching their hand, anxiously waiting for some the news. I was pacing up and down looking for some answers from the doctors. After few anxious hours, doctors declared that he was out of danger since the attack was a mild one. There was not much damage to the head either. He could return in a day or two.

Aunt was relieved to know that uncle was out of danger. She looked at Titli and shook her head angrily. She gave her a pleading look with tearful eyes.
I kneeled in front of aunt, took her hands in mine and said, “See, I told you, everything will be alright. Now tell me how did this happen?”

She was fuming. She slapped me hard, “You scoundrel, everything happened due to you two.”

I was perplexed, “What I did?”

She chewed her words, “What you did? I did not know that my daughter is insane like this. She was caught in one of your shirt and what else could happen.” I looked at Titli and shook my head in dismay. Aunt continued, “Her father got furious on seeing her like that. He asked her as what all was happening. She tried to hide at first, but her father asked about you as who you are, what do you do and everything. She divulged everything about you and they had an intense argument. I tried to intervene and pacify both of them. Titli’s father warned her that he would send her to Delhi to her Aunt’s home if she contacts you. My insane daughter, instead of being remorseful, walked out on her dad. He lost control on his anger and slapped her.”

I shook my head in disappointment at Titli. She gave me an apologetic smile with tears in her eyes. Aunt then patted her on her cheek and said to me, “Do you know what this girl did? She walked to the balcony and said that she would jump if she were not allowed to meet you. And that was the cause of his attack.”

I was annoyed on her crazy actions. I asked aunt, “So what now?”

She gave me a pleading look, “I don’t know Budhaditya. I know that you love my daughter. I know that from the day you stepped in my house.” She looked at Titli and said to her, “I know what changed you so much. You know your father’s nature as what he told you.”

Titli was quiet all along our conversation. She said to aunt after a long time, “Mom please stop now. Do not speak a word more. I know what he is, I know how he is.”

I asked her, “Tell me I want to hear everything.”

She gave me a painful look, “I don’t know what to say to you. My husband is against this relationship due to several reasons. He is against inter-caste marriage. He knows that you do not have a proper family. He knows about your dad. That was the main reason he don’t want his daughter to get married to you.”

I cursed my fate and my father for one more time to ruin my happiness. With clenched jaws and hazy vision, I looked at them, “So you want me to go away?”

On hearing that Titli screamed, “Nooo...”

Aunt pleaded with folded hands, “I don’t want to lose my husband as this is his second attack. Budhaditya, you are mature and wise enough to decide as what to do.”

The doctor came to us and said that we can meet with Titli’s father. Aunt gave me a pleading look and requested, “Please don’t come inside. I know what you have done. However in this condition I don’t want you in front of him.”

I stood outside waiting for them to return. All those moments I was cursing my ill fate. I was cursing my father for being so indifferent towards me. I cursed Titli for divulging everything in a single shot. I felt that the ray of hope was sinking.

Silently I walked outside, in the rain. Thunders were blazing in the sky. Thunders were blazing in my soul. I walked out in the rain to hide my tears. I forgot the count of time I stood there. My thoughts were all blank as I was unable to think of anything.

I felt Titli’s arms around me from behind. I turned towards her and took her face between my palms. She sobbed out, “I will not live without you, Adi.”

We stood in that dark night in the torrential rain hugging each other. I pressed my lips on her head and comforted her, “Have faith in me?”

She was inconsolable. She nodded her head, “Yes, but how Adi, how? I have faith in you but please don’t mess up. I am very much afraid as what is going to happen next.”

I held her tightly in my arms and pressed my lips on her head, “Keep the faith in me, Dear. I will make everything all right.”

After sometime Aurnavo came to us and told that, her mother was calling her.
I gently patted on her cheek and pacified her, “Don’t you do anything foolish. Please keep cool. I will come for you whatever happens.”

She looked at me with snivelled eyes and sobbed out, “Adi, I will call you.” She walked away with her brother. I could fathom that she was bearing a huge pain in her soul. Her dad was in hospital and her love under the dark clouds. She was in dilemma as what she would do.

I looked up the sky, the morning was approaching but the eastern sky was cloudy. There was no sight of sunrays. There was no sign of respite. I clenched my fist and boxed in the air in disgust as why in my life everything is taken away? The heavens did not answer instead thunders cracked through those dark clouds.

Few anxious days passed; there was no contact from Titli. Every night I waited for her call, but the phone was silent as a dead log. I was unable to contain my fear and anxiety. I pulled up every bit of courage in myself and called her home.

It was her mother on the other side, “What do you want Budhaditya?”

It was not wise to ask for Titli. I took a deep breath and, “How is uncle?”

She answered in a stone cold voice, “He is doing fine.” Her voice trembled then, “Budhaditya, I asked you to take a wise decision.”

I answered her, “Let me speak to uncle, for once, please.”

She sounded stern, “NO Budhaditya. That is of no use now. My daughter is immature. Her childish nature has put her future is jeopardy. She promised her father that she will not contact you.”

I asked her, “WHAT? Where is she?”

She answered me, “She is not here Budhaditya. For the first time in my life, I have to part with my daughter. I had to keep her away. I beg you to stay away from Titli. Please stay away from our life. Her father won’t survive another attack. I am helpless Budhaditya. I beg you to stay away, please.” I heard her crying on the phone.

I closed my eyes. Her last words were echoing in the cavern of my ears. I was helpless by her tears same time I was helpless as Titli’s snivelled eyes floated in front of my closed eyes.

Post by josef »

Chapter 14: Blemish Pieta. (#1)
-------------------------------------

In one week, everything around me changed. Titli was not with me. I was unable to think of anything. I used to pacify myself by muttering every night that only the war has been lost but not the battle. I had to wait for the opportune moment to arrive and have patience. I kept the flame burning inside my heart that Titli would give me a call. I remember that her mother said that Titli would be sent to Delhi. I was desperately looking for a change in job in Delhi.

The sky was overcast and so was my mind and soul. I rode to my apartment after office. I observed that a Mercedes stood in front of my building. I thought that it might be of some guest. I crossed the car to park my bike. I suddenly heard a female voice calling my name.

“Hi, Budhaditya.” I turned to the see as who was calling me. I was surprised to find Nilanjana Madam, coming down from the Mercedes with her son in her lap. I looked at her from head to toe. Dressed elegantly sporting a soothing smile on her lips she was looking at me. I stood there perplexed unable to believe my eyes. My brain flooded with thoughts as what she was doing in front of my apartment, what she wants, what about my father, does he knows that she was there. I returned a courtesy smile to her and walked towards the car.

I asked her, “You? Here? Why?”

She was surprised to hear my question, “Why? You should be knowing why I am here?”

I was unable to understand as what she meant to say, “Means, what I should know?”

She gave me a perplexed look, “I received a call from your fiancé, Anoushka two weeks ago. She requested me to come here and meet her. So I have come.”

The day Titli asked for the contact number I was sure that she would be calling them. But I was not prepared that she would call them so early. I feigned my ignorance, “Oh yes I forgot, she told me.”

She gave an inquisitive look and then smiled at me, “I am standing here since noon. I didn’t have your office number so I was unable to call you.”

“What?” I exclaimed, “You are waiting for me since noon?” I was surprised to hear that, “Come inside.” I took her naughty foal from her lap and he giggled at me.

I asked his name, he answered in his baby babbling, “Pappatitto..” I looked at Nilanjana Madam inquisitively and asked what his name was. She answered, “Bappaditya.” She patted her son on his cheek and said to him, “See I told you that we are going to your brother’s house?”

Bappa gave an inquisitive look and asked, “Are you my brother?”

I nodded and smiled at him, “Yes my dear, I am.” However, Bappa was unable to come to terms that brother can be that old. He kept looking at my face.

She gestured her driver to bring her luggage. I looked at her inquisitively and asked, “Are you going to stay? Does my father know about this? You are rich lady you won’t be able to stay in my dingy house.”

She nodded, “If you can stay why can’t I? At least I want to see where you stay.” Once inside my flat, she looked around and asked, “So you live here? Quiet cosy home.” I was perplexed as what all was happening. She smiled at me and said, “Anoushka is very intelligent and must be an elegant lady.” I nodded, yes she was. She kept on, “Hmm... she has got good taste of household things, I can see.” She then looked at me and said, “She has not come to the house for quiet sometime? Is not that?”

My jaws dropped, is she a detective? On beholding the perplexed look on my face, she answered, “I can feel her touch all around the this room, the curtains and wall hangings are quiet beautiful and the way the kitchen has been kept. But the way the newspapers are scattered and from the colour of bed sheet I can assume that she has not stepped in for quite some time.” I was amazed by her observation power. She gave a soft smile at me and said, “So I am right. Has anything happened between you two?”

I shook my head. I hid the truth from her, “No.” I was unable to come to terms as what she was doing at my place. I asked her, “You came all the way from Dhanbad to meet me?”

She laughed at me, “Nah... Actually not you, I came to meet Anoushka. Since she is not here so I hope that you are the person.”

I walked into the kitchen to prepare tea, “So you must be tired after a long journey, right?”

She smiled at me and said, “Nahh... I am not tired much. You must be tired after a long day of work. Let me prepare the tea while you go and freshen up.”

She called her son and asked him whether he was hungry or not.

I looked at the naughty fellow, who was busy in playing with his toy aeroplane. Bappaditya nodded his cute head and gestured that he is not at all hungry. He then again ran to the balcony with his toy aeroplane.

I sat in the drawing room expecting for some unforeseen to happen. I heard that she was pacifying my dad about something, on the phone. After about half an hour, she entered with cup of tea and some snacks. I looked at her graceful figure draped in a rich kimono.

I asked her, “What did Titli said to you?”

She answered, “Anoushka is very intelligent girl. She knows in and out about you. The way she was asking about our wellbeing, made me feel that I knew her for long. We talked for long as what I love to do, what she loves to do. At last, she asked about Bappa and that made me go weak at heart. She said that she wanted to meet me. She asked me to come. I knew that if you see me then you would be furious. She assured me that she would manage that.”

She sat on the couch opposite of mine and asked me, “So you are furious on me?” I gave a piercing look at her. She handed me one cup and looked at the balcony to her son, “His name is given by me in accordance to you.”

“I am not angry. Truly speaking I don’t know you at all. Why should I bear any type of feelings for you?” I answered her but it was a lie.

She kept on, “So you are angry with your dad.”

I clenched my jaws, “Should I be happy for what happened with me.”

She looked at me with her brows squint, “Do you know your Dad well?”

I was taken aback by her query, “Are you going to tell me about my dad?” my blood started boiling. I have to know my dad from a third person, maybe she was his wife. I chewed my words, “The only thing I know that he was not there when I needed him and ....”

She nodded, “And you might be thinking that I stole your dad from you.” I was not prepared for that sentence although I wanted that answer. She kept on telling, “How much do you know about Mr. Ghosh? Answer me, Budhaditya. I am not here to fight with you. I am here to clear myself.” Her last words were sinking in her throat.

I gave an inquisitive look, “I do not miss him actually, as I never found him. Whenever I was home during my vacations, his works and alcohol out there drove him. All I got my mother’s soothing palm. I can still hear her lament when I close my eyes. I still remember that we came back to my grandparent’s house.” I paused for a moment and looked directly in her eyes to fire up, “Truly speaking, the moment I saw you, I had the impression that you stole my dad from my mother.”

Her eyes were full of tears on hearing that. She gave a painful smile and looked away to wipe her eyes. Her voice fluttered a bit, “Want to hear then?”

Continued....

Post by josef »

Chapter 14: Blemish Pieta. (#2)
------------------------------------
She started her tale, “I met Mr. Ghosh ten years ago, two years after your mother, Manjusha Di’s demise. Then I was a nurse at Dhanbad railway hospital. I was twenty-five a beautiful girl full of dreams of having a life of my own. I used to live at Chittaranjan and my father worked in the locomotive factory. I was the youngest of four siblings.”

“One day, during inspection of one mines; Mr. Ghosh had a heart attack. He fell down from the mines entrance and broke his left leg. He was admitted to the hospital. I looked after him and there we met. At that time, I had no fancy on any older person as I had a boyfriend by then. One doctor was very close to Mr. Ghosh, he requested me to attend him at his house. I obliged his words and every evening I used to go to Mr. Ghosh’s house for his medicines and bandages.”

“Mr. Ghosh was very rich and wanted a house nurse. I resigned from my nursing job and attended him for whole day since he was paying me more than what I used to get in hospital. I was beautiful so there were several prying eyes hovering over me raping me with their lewd gaze. At least I felt secure in that house. He had several servants yet he looked for me to have his medicine and nursing. Gradually he recovered and then I was again in turmoil that now I had to find a new job. After recovery, he started a new business in heavy earthmovers equipments. Mr. Ghosh insisted me to stay at his house as his secretary and to manage his new business. I was sceptical at first to stay with him but I had no place to go or no place to stay. That was a new opportunity and a lease of life for me, I obliged then also. I used to stay in a room downstairs and his room was upstairs.”

“Mr. Ghosh never talked about his past but I have heard from that doctor about his wife and his son. Whenever he was not at home, I used to look around to find something about his family about his past. I found no sign of Manjusha Di’s reminiscences or your signs in that huge house. I never talked to him regarding those.”

I was hurt to know that my dad did not preserve any of my childhood memoirs with him.

Nilanjana Madam continued, “After he recovered fully, he went back to his old lifestyle, drinking most of the evenings with his colleagues. Days passed; his real nature came out of the sheepskin he wore all time. He had a high libido and always was looking for female flesh. He had several females to satisfy his carnal hunger. I even saw some manager’s wife in his bed.”

I was anxiously listening to her. I did not know all these all my life. I knew that my dad used to drink but his real nature was getting unfurled before me.

“I knew that he used to observe my curvaceous figure stealthily but he never made any direct advance. I could see in her eyes that he was gazing at me and I felt awkward at first but gradually it became a routine. At least he did not make any lewd passes. May be his conscience was restraining him to do so, after all, I brought him back by my nursing.”

“After joining his work, I lost most of my precious life. Yes, I could go and meet my parents but my boyfriend left me. That person did not give me a chance to make my point. Mr. Ghosh was so reputed in his actions that my boyfriend thought that I was also one of his tramp. He went to my parents and told about the nature of Mr. Ghosh and he made up story of a relation between us, which was not there.”

Nilanjana’ Madam’s eyes swelled up in tears, “I still remember that day. It was few days before Diwali, I wanted to goto Kali Mandir at Hirapur to offer puja and to meet my boyfriend. Mr. Ghosh dropped me in his car. After dropping, he just touched my hand and said, be careful there will be too much crowd there and don’t forget to return before nightfall. For the first time, Mr. Ghosh showed such compassion towards me. I saw my boyfriend standing at a distance watching us. I looked at him and then at Mr. Ghosh. I smiled and nodded at him and assured that I would return before nightfall. That smile made my boyfriend think that I was Mr. Ghosh’s muse and he just broke off our two-year long relation. May be there was no love as devotion and faith is another name of love.”

I looked at her, she was sobbing yet she sported a beautiful smile on her thin lips. I nodded at her, yes devotion and faith is another name of love. Who else can know that better that I.

She wiped her tears, stood up from the couch and asked me, “What do you want in dinner?”

I was in a trance all the while she was telling her story. I shook my head and said, “I don’t know, whatever you will prepare I will have.”

She said to me, “Last time you did not bring your pillow so I thought this time I cook for you.”

I laughed at her and went out along with his son in my tow. I bought few toys for Bappaditya. He was a cute naughty cub always babbling and asking queries. I was tired by answering his queries and thought as how my dad handles this cute ghost.
After a sumptuous dinner, she went inside my room to put Bappa to sleep. I sat quietly on the couch of the drawing room trying to figure out as what the lady was trying to prove? Was my dad like that, as she was depicting? If yes, then what changed him? What made him feel to amend our snapped relation?

She came inside the drawing room with two cups. I asked her as what she was drinking. She smiled at me and handed one cup saying that it was jasmine tea, good for health. She drinks that every night. I was astonished that she brought tea with her.

She said, “I brought many things for Anoushka. You won’t understand.”

I shook my head in disbelief as what Titli said to Nilanjana Madam that she got entranced in my damsel. Same time I cursed my fate that all was gone due to the guile values of her father and the feelings of caste.

Nilanjana Madam asked me, “Not feeling sleepy?”

I wanted to clarify my doubt so I asked her directly, “Tell me one thing, Madam. If my dad was like that as you are saying then what made him to amend our relation after so long?”

She sat on the couch opposite to me and said, “Yes, this is the question I was waiting for. I have come to tell you that very reason, Budhaditya.”

Continued.....

Post by josef »

Chapter 14: Blemish Pieta. (#3)
-------------------------------------

“Months turned to year. After my breakup, I was literally broke and dipped myself in the work. The manager of the new company of Mr. Ghosh, Mr. Ambarish Sinha was much help to me. However living under the same roof and watching Mr. Ghosh’s activities made me irritated. I tried to ignore Mr. Ghosh but I could not. I tried to rein him. We had a fight one night; he was inebriated. He shouted at me and showed my place that I was a mere paid nurse to him. I was very much hurt that day. I locked myself in my room and tried to kill myself. I kept on saying myself that my life was finished.”

“Just then I heard a commotion in the house. One servant came running and knocked my door. I forgot as what I was going to do and I ran upstairs. I froze as what I saw. Mr. Ghosh was unconscious, lying in a pool of blood, glasses and bottles scattered all around. Blood was gushing from his head. I called for ambulance and took him to the hospital. I laughed at my fate that was binding me repeatedly with Mr. Ghosh. I was by his side all the time until he was discharged. After returning to home, I took the reins of his lifestyle finally. He did not object to that.”

“I gave strict instructions to all the servants to throw all those alcohol bottles and no more females in that house. After he recovered, he joined his office and I looked after his business. I gave strict instruction to the driver to drive him to office and bring him home, nowhere else. I observed change in Mr. Ghosh. He started to bring flowers or some nonsense gifts for me. I had a feeling that I was getting attracted to a much older person who was a score of years senior to me. Day by day, his attitude towards me changed to love. I again felt that I was in love.”

“Two years after we met, one day he proposed me to marry him. I put one condition in front of him that I would marry him once I was clear about his past life. He promised me that he would divulge everything once I marry him. I smiled and accepted his proposal. We went together to my home. My parents were happy to see me but were little offended as I was marrying a much older person. I persuaded them that I was in love with Mr. Ghosh. Yes, it took some time to persuade but money can do anything in this world. We got married two years after I met him. The function was a close one. I reminded his promise on the reception day.”
“He took my hand in his and kneeled in front of me. He told me that he wanted to be a rich man and climb the ladder of success. In due course of time he neglected Manjusha Di and you. Manjusha Di always nagged him for his nature. However, he paid no heed. Manjusha Di’s demise was a boon for him and not a bane. He left you so that you do not pose a threat to his rich vagabond lifestyle. He did not stop running after money and female flesh.”

“He lamented on what he lost, he understood when I came to his life but then everything was finished. He took out an old album and showed me your pictures. He was crying in front of me. I felt pity on him and asked him about your whereabouts. He said he know nothing. That night I did not pester him much.”

“Our life took a new course and gradually we both forgot about you and Manjusha Di. I felt that I had everything in my life, a loving husband and a secure life. I took over his business in total and I became a businessperson. Four years after our marriage, Bappa was born to me. I named him after your name. At least he should have something to remember his elder brother.”

On hearing the last sentence, I felt my eyes burning. I clenched my jaws to control myself. She smiled at me with glistening eyes and let out a deep exhale.

“Last year before puja, Bappa was playing hide and seek in my room. You know how naughty he is. He locked himself in a cupboard containing old documents. I opened the cupboard to surprise him; instead, that old album took me by surprise. I froze as I opened the album. A picture of Manjusha Di and you was staring at me. I looked at Bappa. I felt that I was cheating. I felt that someone like my Bappa was out there who also wanted to smile in his life. I confronted Mr. Ghosh that day, I stood firm on my ground that he has to contact you."

“At first, he denied vehemently. He was sceptical as how you would handle things. I told him that the life is short but not finished yet. He should lookout for what he has lost. He told me that his son won’t forgive him as what he did. I said to him that absolve was not the question, reviving the relation was the question. He should face one last time for his deeds. At least I don’t want to burden my life with a thought that I was cheating a soul, wandering alone, somewhere in this huge world.”

“I persuaded him to make a call and then he called your maternal uncle. You came to our house and your actions proved that you were unable to come to terms with us. The ice did not melt even after that.”

“Then I received Anoushka’s call. She asked me to come over here and meet her. I don’t know what she wanted, but I can fathom that she wanted to bridge the gap between the father and son.”

The night was passing by. I could hear birds chirping outside. The twilight was peeking on the eastern horizon and new dawn was approaching. I lost my vocabulary after hearing her version. I looked at the Blemished Pieta sitting in front of me with snivelled eyes.

She let out a deep exhale and asked, “You don’t believe me, do you?”

I gave a blank stare at her and shook my head in disbelief, “You have left me speechless.”

She asked me, “Do you want to talk to your dad, now?”

I exclaimed, “WHAT? He might be sleeping now.”

She smiled and said, “Huh, I will wake him up, don’t worry. After all, his son is back. He was very anxious as what would be your reaction. I called him last evening that I would be able to bring you back. So I think I have succeeded, have I?”

“No, I will talk to him later, let him sleep peacefully.” I muttered, “I am sorry for all those misconception that I had in mind about you.”

She smiled at me and said, “I should ask, not you.” She paused for a moment and continued, “I know it very well that you are not going to accept me as what our relation states, right? I was the youngest of my four siblings. I always wanted a younger brother for me even that relation is not possible.” She looked outside the window. The morning sunlight was glowing on her face. She smiled at me and said, “So can we be friends?”

I looked outside the window. The red sun was peeking behind the dark clouds. A huge boulder moved from my chest. I shook my head and laughed at her at last, “A red dawn, a new dawn. Yes we can be friends.”

“One minute, I think we need some coffee.” She went for preparing coffee. I looked into the bedroom. Bappa was sleeping peacefully. I shook my head and thought, my dad is having a good time then.

She entered with two cups and handed me one. Then she asked, “Since we are friends now, can I ask you a personal question?” I answered, “Yeah sure.” She asked me, “Has anything happened between you and Anoushka?”

I felt that I should tell her the truth, “Actually, her father. He is against the relation. Caste and creed created a huge difference and I had no family for my support. He tried to persuade Titli at first but she was adamant on her stand. They had a fight and he had a heart attack. I took him to hospital even. I had to retrace back after hearing her mother’s plea.” I exhaled deeply, “Titli has been sent away. I don’t know where but I think she has been sent to Delhi. Her mother did mention once that she would be sent to Delhi.”

Nilanjana ma’am asked me, “When did all these happened? What are you going to do now?”

I answered her, “All this happened last week. I am searching for a job in Delhi. I will go there and search for her. I am optimist. I have not lost my hope yet. Just waiting for the opportune moment to talk to her parents again and persuade them. Let us see as what happens.”

She shook her head, “You want me to talk to them?”

I answered her, “No ma’am, I think the iron is still hot. It won’t be a wise step to strike now as splinters can fly at any direction. Don’t worry about me, I am fine.”

She said to me. “Why don’t you spend this weekend with us?”

I assured her, “I will try, but I promise to spend my Durga Puja with you all.”

Nilanjana Ma’am returned to Dhanbad the next day. I promised her that I would visit them during the coming puja vacation.

My father and I spoke on phone and the mutual differences were got cleared to much extent. One phone call from Titli to Nilanjana Ma’am sorted a decade long cold war between us. What she told and how she managed, I did not know. I could not even thank my damsel for that.

Post by josef »

Chapter 15: Siren’s flute. (#1)
---------------------------------

Everything happened like a tempest and uprooted our lives. Every night her snivelled eyes haunted me, “I will not live without you, Adi”. Each night I used to sit on my bed with her clothes in my hand. The doors, the windows, the curtains, and the couch everyone was asking me, “Where is the queen of this abode?” I was unable to answer them as the queen was hidden somewhere. Anxiety was killing me to the core, gnawing my soul with every passing moment.

One evening I went to her college, although I knew that she might not be there. I waited in front of the gate with a faint ray of hope. I saw Parineeta coming out of the college. She was surprised to see me.

“What are you doing here?” she asked me.

I asked her in return, “Do you know where Titli is?”

She nodded her head, “Aunt told me that she won’t pursue her studies. I was surprised to hear that, as she was the best student of our batch. I asked the reason but I did not get any clear answer.” She gave me a piercing gaze, “I think you know something. Tell me.”

I told her that Titli’s father came to know about our affair and she was sent away. I was not sure as where she was sent so I needed her help.

She looked at me and smiled, “Ok good. You need my help.”

“Yes.” I said to her, “Can you goto Titli’s house and ask aunt as where she has been sent?”

“I will try.” She sat on my pillion and said, “Can I have a ride to my place?”

I smiled at her, “Ok why not.”

On the way to her house she said, “I sensed that something like this could happen. I know her from the college days. She was jolly she was naughty same time she guarded herself so well that we envied her nature. She always kept herself away from any type of inclination.”

I murmured to myself, who else can know her better than me. I think her mother even does not know her well.

Out of courtesy, I asked her about her boyfriend, Shantanu. She leaned on my back and said, “No dear no such luck. He moved out of the city and out of sight out of mind.”

“So moving out of the city was the reason of your break up?” I asked her.

“Ah! Come on, Budhaditya I don’t want to discuss some passing affair now. I am happy to be alone.” She patted on my back and giggled.

I dropped her at her place. She asked my phone number and said that she would give me a call whenever she gets some information. I looked at her face; there was some inexplicable bliss in her eyes.

After few days, I received a call from Parineeta asking me to meet her. We met after my office at a restaurant.

While sipping our coffee she said to me, “I have bad news for you.” I winched my brows as her words came as jolt for me. She continued, “Her mother probably fathomed that you are behind the question.” I looked at her face, trying to make out whether she was telling the truth or not. She understood from my gaze and laughed at me, “So you don’t believe me, right. Come on Budhaditya. Believe me.” Her face became pale, “Aunt warned me to stay out of Titli’s life. I was very hurt to hear that as I was closest to her at least from my part.”

“Really, she told you like that?” I asked her.

She nodded her head, “Yes. We were good friends since school days. Something unfortunate did happen between us but I also miss her very much.” I felt a writhing pain inside me as I was missing her also. She gave me a cheerful smile and said, “Come on, Budhaditya. Life does not end with a person, does it? So why so down. Cheer Up.”

“Life is not the same for me, Parineeta.” I was about to say her but she pulled me by my shirt and said, “Come, I want do some shopping.”

“What?” I was surprised, “What do you want to shop?”

She laughed at me and said, “When I feel depressed then I shop. Anything just window shopping or buying tit bits nothing else.”

I said to her, “Ah! I don’t like shopping much.”

“For a change.” She came closer to me and gave me a beautiful smile, “Not even for me.”

I inhaled deeply and scratched my head. I felt helpless after beholding the twinkle in her eyes. I could not deny her request and mar the smile of her pouting dark lips. I nodded and followed her. After a long time I was feeling much better. I was at least smiling again.

We strolled lazily through the crowded footpath of Garihat. She kept on holding my hand while walking, to save herself from the crowd. She was very quiet not chirping as usual. I asked her as why she was so quiet.

In return, she gave me a smile and said, “What should I say. This crowd is really maddening.”

I laughed at her, “I told you. I don’t like shopping due to the crowd.”

“Yeah I know, but you changed your nature, right.” She pinched my arm.

I laughed at her, “Yeah, sure. Change is evitable. Everything changes every moment around us. Sometimes it is better to accept the change; sometimes it hurts to accept the change.”

She laughed along with me, “Yes Budhaditya, change is very much needed in life else the life gets monotonous.”

I asked her, “Are you hurt after breaking up with Shantanu?”

She gave an inquisitive look, “Why are you asking that?”

“Just like that. If you don’t want to say then it is ok.” I said to her casually.

“Yes, I was at first. But then I said to myself that what happens happens for the best.” She gave me a pale smile and continued, “I lied to you about the reason of the breakup. The real reason is something else.” She came closer to me and looked up at my face, “Budhaditya, will you drop me home?” her face was inches from mine.

I nodded gently, “Ok.”

While returning she told me the real reason of her break up. Shantanu lied the fact that he was married. He was going through a rough patch with his wife. He used Parineeta as a cushion for mental support. Parineeta came to know all these when through a common friend. She was heartbroken at first but came out of that. I was quietly listening to her without saying a word.
After I dropped her at her place, she stood in front of me waiting for some reaction from my side.

I placed my hand on her shoulder to appease her, “You only said that what HE does does for the best.”

“No!” she smiled at me, “I am not repenting for that. I am quite happy that I was not dragged into a marital turmoil. By the way will you pick me up tomorrow after college?”

I was quiet unsure about such friendliness. I looked at her. She understood the dilemma stirring my soul. She smiled sweetly and said, “Don’t worry Budhaditya. I am just asking for a ride, nothing else.”

I nodded and assured her that I would pick her up after college.

Continued...