Tu Hi Tu

adeswal
Pro Member

Re: Tu Hi Tu

Post by adeswal »

Chapter 7
HK: Kya baat hain bitiya..bahut der lagaadi?
Nisha brings in the grocery bags into the kitchen and places them on the counter before starting to arrange them in the shelves. Her voice contains a hint of smile: Hum picture dekhne gaye the kaka.
HK can neither hide his surprise nor delight: Arre waah..yeh toh bahut achchi baat hain..kaunsi picture?
Manav walks in with the rest of the grocery bags: Poochiye mat kaka..woh Ajay Devgan waali..Son of Sardar. (Then he looks at Nisha) You were right though. He sure has come a long long way from Phool aur Kaante.
Nisha takes over the bags from him and nods: Aap..aap jaake fresh hojaayiye.
Manav turns to HK: Dinner mein kya hain kaka?
HK: Kya chahiye?
Manav shakes his head: Kuch bhi light. I am still full. Lunch, uske baad movie mein popcorn aur return trip mein paanipuri. Duss saal guzar gaye lekin aap ki bitiya aaj bhi popcorn aur paanipuri ke peeche paagal hain.
Nisha closes the shelf with a slight bang: Kaka..mein change karke aati hoon (There is a certain amount of escapism in her exit and Manav looks at her departing back with a small sigh of resignation. She still thinks any mention of the past is my way of digging holes into her. All through the day, she had alternated between being happy and being wary. As if she was not able to completely trust the U turn in my behavioural pattern. In this short period, I got her so used to my taunts and sarcasm that now even the most casual humorous comment brings down the shield of indifference over her face..just in case I hurt her. He runs a distracted hand through his hair. Chulbuli..I miss you! )
HK puts his hand on Manav’s shoulder: Usse thoda waqt do beta.
Manav nods and turns to HK: Kaka, Nisha khulke hasti hain kya?
HK shakes his head sadly and turns away: Uski khuli hassi ko sune duss saal hogaye beta. Kaan taras gaye. (Manav nods once again and leaves the kitchen)
Soon they both sit for dinner, the landline phone rings and Manav, being the closest, lifts it: Hello?
A nano second of silence and then: Manav? Mein Nandini.
Manav swallows: Hi aunty. How are you?
Nandini: I am fine beta. How are you?
Manav: Fine aunty. Just having dinner.
Nandini: Oh. Toh mein baad mein phone karti hoon. Mein toh buss Nisha ko hello bolne keliye phone kiya tha.
Manav glances at Nisha, who hasn’t looked up but has stopped eating as if waiting and bracing herself: No no aunty. It’s fine. We are almost done anyway. Kya baat hain aunty? Shaadi ke baad aap apni beti ko bhool gayi kya? You have never come to our house.
Silence and then Nandini: Arre nahi nahi..aisi koi baat nahi. I talk to her over the phone na..
Manav smiles: Phir bhi..I mean if we are living in different cities, then that’s a different thing. Kabhi aayiye aunty. Aap ke beti ka hi ghar hain yeh.
Nandini almost stumbles in her reply: Haan haan kyon nahi. Zaroor zaroor.
Manav: Leejiye.. baat keejiye.
Nisha takes the phone and moves away from the table so that she is facing away from him: Hello? Mom?
Nandini: Nisha..kaisi hain beta?
Nisha swallows: Mein teek hoon ma. Just finished my dinner.
Nandini lowers her tone a little: Meine subah bhi phone kiya tha.
Nisha’s cheeks turn pink: Ji..kaka ne bataya. We went to get some groceries then went out for lunch. Aur wahaa se picture dekhne chalegaye.
Nandini: That’s.. That’s really good beta.
Nisha: Aaplog kaise hain?
Nandini: We are fine Nisha. Manav ne invite bhi kiya hain na toh beti ka ghar dekhne hum zaroor aayenge. Rakhti hoon beta.
Nisha: Ji. Goodnight mom.
Nandini: Goodnight beta. (Nandini puts the phone down and looks at her husband) Both of them went out for lunch and movie today Yog.
Yog smiles: Meine kahaa tha na..things will settle down slowly. Unn dono ka rishta shuru se hi alag tha Nandini. He always had a soft spot for her. Ghar mein sab log Nisha par bhadak jaate the aur woh bhaagke Manav ke peech chupjaati thi. (That memory brings a kind of sad smile on his face. Then he recovers.) I still remember Alok talking to me about Manav after every trip of theirs to Mumbai. He sure is angry Nandini. Par woh dil ka aaj bhi achcha hain. sachcha hain. Meine kisi ko bataya nahi par I even spoke to the CEO of the company where he worked. He gave a glowing report about him as an employee as well as as a person. Now looks like he is slowly letting go of his anger too.
Nandini: Yog, Manav invited us to come to their house some time.
Surprise and delight lights up his eyes: Oh. That’s..wonderful. Chalo achcha hain.
Nandini lies down on the bed: Itne dino se meine apne aap ko kaise roka yeh sirf mein jaanti hoon Yog. She came to our house just once after her marriage and she didn’t even stay long. Yu aayi aur yu chaligayi. Woh toh humne achcha kiya ki Hiraman ko wahaa bhejdiya. Kam se kam hume pata toh chalraha hain ki waha kya horaha hain. Warna yeh Nisha toh kabhi kuch bolegi nahi.
Yog nods: Haan. Hiraman is anyway more attached to Nisha than this house. So he immediately agreed.
Nandini sighs a little happily: Mein jab jaaungi toh kuch banaake lejaaungi. Usse mere haath ka khaana bahut pasand hain. Bhagwaan kare ab sab teek hojaaye.
Manav’s residence:
Manav looks up from the paper: Abhi sone jaarahi ho?
Nisha stops on her way towards the stairs: Ji? Nahi aisa kuch nahi..koi kaam hain kya?
Manav pats the seat beside his on the sofa: Tomorrow is the meeting with the bankers, right? I guess I am a little nervous. Itni jaldi neend nahi aayega and I am expecting a call too. Come sit. Let’s do the crossword puzzle. I am stuck. Help me out. (Nisha wets her lips and her helpless love is obvious in her look but since he is not facing her, he doesn’t see it. wordlessly, she comes around and sits beside him. he brings the paper close to her so that she can see.) See this here? 15 across..shore birds..
Nisha: Terns
Manav grins: Hmmm..not bad. (He quickly scribbles the word) Now the 6 down that connects..Unbleached colour
Nisha: Ecru
Manav turns to look at her with both his eyebrows raised: That was fast! You still do crosswords like you used to?
Nisha’s face lights up in surprise. Crossword puzzles were another thing that connected both of them in the past. She literally used to eat his head off until he helped her solve the Sunday crossword. She blinks and looks away: Nahi. Itna time nahi milta.
Manav turns back towards the puzzle as if he hasn’t noticed anything..neither the joy nor the hesitation: Hmmm..I can imagine. Medicine takes lots of hardwork na. Did you take any coaching for the entrance?
Nisha: My lecturers helped me a bit. I used to get model question papers from them on individual subjects and try to answer them on my own. And then I took some postal coaching too.
Manav grins at her almost mischievously: I wonder how reacted the first time you had dissect a cockroach!
Nisha smiles: That thing jumped and I screamed and ran.
Manav throws back his head and laughs out aloud at that and is about to continue the conversation but his phone rings. With a quick look at the id, he turns back to Nisha with a regretful sigh: I have to take this call. You finish this crossword and I will be back ok? (Nisha nods and takes the paper from him. He quickly puts on his headset and goes into his study. The call takes more than an hour and by the time he finishes it and comes out, he finds Nisha fast asleep on the sofa with her feet tucked under her and her head resting on her bent arm. HK also walks into the hall and Manav gestures him to be quiet. He bends down and carefully lifts her up into his arms, nods a silent goodnight to HK before climbing the stairs to their room. After gently tucking her into the bed he remains bending down looking at her innocent sleeping face. His mind takes him back to their first night together..the way he woke her up and the way he..(He closes his eyes and turns his head away as the memory makes him cringe. May be mom had been right. I become inhuman in my anger. )
adeswal
Pro Member

Post by adeswal »

Next morning:
Manav turns from his wardrobe: Nisha?
Nisha, who is stuffing her steth and CGH id into her bag, drops the bag at that call. It’s the first time he has actually called her by name. Not the sarcastic Mrs Mathur or Dr Nisha..just Nisha. Try as she might, the obvious shine in her eyes gives her away: J..ji?
Manav takes out 3 ties of different colours: We have that meeting with the bank today. I am going to have to wear this suit. Which tie would go better with it?
Nisha picks up her bag and puts it back on the table before walking towards him. Hesitantly, she looks at him in the suit minus the jacket and tie, then back at the three ties before picking up the blue and purple one and extending it to him. He throws the other two back into the wardrobe and quickly ties it around his neck while she observes his quick efficient movements through the mirror. He observes that and turns towards her with a smile: So..howz it? (With her upper lip held between her teeth, she reaches up and adjusts the knot to a perfect centre before backing up a step and picking up his jacket and holding it open for him. He turns back and puts his hands into the sleeves so that she can pull it up and again turns to face her so that she can button it up. Finally he gives a quick look at the mirror and runs a hasty brush over his hair.) You are ready to go to the hospital now?
Nisha: Yes. Buss abhi nikalne hi waali thi.
Manav: Uh..wish me luck?
Nisha smiles: All the best Manav.
Manav grins before adjusting his jacket one final time: Thank you. Chale?
Nisha nods and both of them leave for their respective work. Once in CGH, Nisha gets immersed first in the usual rounds, then a surgical assistance and then the OPD. Around 2 pm, she gets a call from Manav for the first time ever: Hello?
She would remember the jubilant voice forever: NISHA! WE DID IT! We got the loan! (Nisha’s face first lights up and then she swallows as fear overtakes her joy. Now he would probably say..tumhaari qurbaani bekaar nahi gayi Dr Nisha..the purpose our marriage has been served! She tightens the grip on her phone and closes her eyes as if getting her heart ready to hear those words out of his lips.) Hello? Nisha? You there?
Nisha: Ji. Yeah I am here. Congratulations Manav!
Manav sighs in obvious relief: Oh what a day Nisha! Ab tum dekhna we will turn the company around and surpass the previous glory. God I feel great Nisha!
Nisha slowly opens her tightly shut eyes: I..I am sure you will Manav. I never doubted that.
Manav laughs: Looks like you had more confidence than I did. Issi khushi mein celebration toh banta hain. What say?
Nisha’s smile lights up her cabin: Yes. Celebration toh definitely banta hain.
Manav: Uncle se poochte hain. Uncle, what do you think? Shall we celebrate? You and aunty come to dinner at our place na..
Nisha: Papa is there with you?
Yog: Sure. Definitely. Kab?
Manav: Kab? Kissi aur din kyon? Aaj hi karte hain. Why postpone? Kyon Nisha?
Nisha: Yeah..yeah..sure. That would be great.
Manav: Aur waise bhi aunty ke haath ka matar paneer khaaye kitne saal hogaye. Uncle? Can aunty make that?
Yog takes out his phone with a broad smile on his face: Sure. Why not. Mein abhi kehdeta hoon.
Manav: Nisha..a part of the menu has also been decided. baaki you take care of. Ok?
Nisha: Ji. Mein Hiraman Kaka se baat karti hoon. Congrats once again Manav.
Manav: Thanks. This is just the starting Nisha..abhi toh we have to hire more people, advertising, marketing..there is loads to do.
Nisha: Starting toh hogayi hain na. Woh sab bhi hojaayega.
Manav: Yeah..can’t wait. Chalo rakhta hoon. Uh..Nisha?
Nisha: Ji?
Manav: Had your lunch?
Nisha: Yes. I just had it. You?
Manav: Uncle and I are headed out for that now. See you later. Bye.
Nisha: Bye. (She cuts the call and hugs the phone to herself.)
That night: Manav’s residence: Dinner time:
Manav: I am done kaka. Mazaa aagaya.
Nisha gets up: I will just get the dessert. (And goes into the kitchen along with HK)
Manav looks at Nandini: Aunty..sabzi was great. For me, after my mom’s cooking, it has always been yours.
Nandini gives a smile in a kind of fond rememberance: Rukmini was one of my best friends you know..jab shaadi karke mein nayi nayi iss shehar mein aayi, your mom was the first one to welcome me. We used to talk non stop about anything and everything. (Then her face becomes sad and a little ashamed) Nisha ne jo kiya uske baad mein usse teek se nazren bhi nahi mila paayi. There was a strange awkwardness between us. She was never the one to hold a grudge for long par mujhe samjhmein hi nahi aaraha tha ki kaise baat karoo..kaise sorry bolu apni beti ki taraf se. If she didn’t do what she did, may be you wouldn’t have left us..maybe we would have stopped you..haq se humlog tumhaare paas aate aur tumhe rokte. Koi aur hi kyon..khud Nisha tumhe jaane na deti. (She looks at his parents photograph and continues) I couldn’t come to your house like before you know.
Manav: And so neither could Nisha. (He sighs) Aunty..forget it now. Jo hogaya so hogaya. Let’s put it behind us.
Nandini nods: Tumne khud mujhe apne ghar bulaaya, mere haath ka khaana maanga..haq se..aur aaj Nisha ko itna khush dekha..mere khushi ke tikaane hi nahi rahe Manav. Thank you so much beta. (She pats Manav’s cheek affectionately and just then Nisha comes with the dessert bowls held in a tray so Manav quickly changes the topic) Uncle..you know..I think we should hold a party. Something huge and grand. Invite everyone.
Yog smiles: Loan ki khushi mein?
Manav returns the smile: Haan..Loan ki khushi..VM ke naye shuruvaad ki khushi..and it will also be a kind of a reception after our wedding. All in one. Kyon Nisha?
The shine in Nisha’s eyes competes with that of the stars and the smile on her face is wholehearted..no artifice or politeness in it. And Manav for the first time sees his Chulbuli peeping out from behind that smile.
Nandini: Humaare ghar mein hi rakhte hain.
Yog thinks: No. It won’t be large enough. We will book a hall. All this will take time Manav.
Manav shrugs: No problem. Lets give it say..10 days? I think we can arrange everything in 10 days. Aap hall aur decoration dekhleejiye aur mein catering aur baaki cheezen sambhaloonga. Together we can invite.
Nandini gets up and impulsively hugs Nisha: I can’t wait for that day. I will show my beti and damaad to the whole world. Sablog buss dekhte rehjaayenge. I am so happy Nisha.
Manav looks at the dessert: Wow..gajar ka halwa..my favourite. You remember? (His eyes taken in his wife’s shy smile on her full lips, pink blushing cheeks and eyes that he begins to suspect he can drown in and desire slams into him with the force of a sucker punch) Thank you Nisha.
Nandini and Yog already start making plans for the upcoming party. So they quickly finish the dessert and after hasty farewells and see you soons and talk to you laters, take their leave. HK practically orders Nisha to go up..that he would clean up everything and Manav, after a quick trip back into the kitchen, follows Nisha to their room.
Manav: Nisha..apni aankhen band karo
Nisha, who is just about to take out the nightdress from her wardrobe stops and turns: Ji?
Manav has his hands behind him: I said close your eyes. (She obediently closes them) Ab muh kholo (Nisha opens her mouth and a moment later, the taste of cold kulfi icecream explodes on her tongue. Startled, she opens her eyes to meet his grinning ones.) Nisha: Ji..yeh..?
Manav: Tumhaara favourite dessert.
Nisha leans against the wardrobe as if she is not sure if her legs would support her: Aap..aapko aaj bhi yaad hain?
Manav raises his eyebrows: You remember mine, don’t you? I thought I would surprise you and we both ended up surprising each other.
He extends the kulfi stick and her trembling hand holds his own as takes another sweet bite. She keeps looking at the icecream with tears blurring her vision and swallows repeatedly just in case her eyes misbehave and let the tears of joy escape. He keeps his hand steady with effort but his eyes start glittering and there is a slash of red across his cheekbones as he sees her pink tongue licking the kulfi before taking a bite. All he wants to do is throw the icecream away and just take her..No..I won’t do it again. That’s not how it’s going to be from now on.
Finally the icecream is done and Nisha looks up: Aap ka haath..its going to be sticky.
Wordlessly, he extends his palm to her and she looks at him with innocent confused eyes. He touches her lower lip with one sticky finger as if asking her to open. Pink cheeks turn red as his implication sinks in. After a shy painful hesitation; she once again holds his wrist with one hand before taking each of his fingers into her mouth and licking them clean. By the time she reaches his palm, his controls snaps and with a soft groan of “enough” he digs all his 10 fingers in her hair and pulls her head up: Kiss me! Nisha..kiss me please!
A soft cry escapes her and a moment later, she peppers his whole face with small desperate kisses and her fingers start pulling his tucked in shirt so that they can touch him properly. He cups her cheeks and pulls her a little away from him so that he can look into her passion drugged eyes before placing an almost gentle kisses on her forehead, cheeks, chin, nose..and stop a hair’s breath away from her lips. Their breath sighs out in a silent shudder a moment before their lips join for the first time. Everything in her including her breath comes to a standstill at that first kiss. He said Nisha! And my first kiss! My first kiss from my Tiger! Neither of them move or try to take the kiss further. It’s as if they want to experience each nano second of it and every minute sensation zinging through their bodies. Slowly Manav glides his lips overs hers seeking her permission to enter. Time stands still as both of them get to know each other’s taste. His palms slide from her cheeks to her neck to her arms and fingers before landing on her waist and sliding around it. The kiss changes in dimension as he pulls her more fully against his tall rigid form. One hand blindly searches and gets hold of her sari pallu and he pulls it down tearing it a little where it had been pinned. In an almost instinctive gesture she turns back on him and crosses her arms over her chest. Wordlessly, with a soft smile of understanding, he switches off the light, lifts her up in his arms and carries her to their bed.
Next day morning:
Nisha burrows further under the covers and stretches her arm only to encounter an empty space. Startled, she opens her eyes and gets up before realizing her state of undress and pulls up the blanket till her neck. Her wide slightly apprehensive eyes search for her husband and the sound of the splashing water and electric razor suggests that he is in the bathroom. A kind of bemused almost peaceful smile graces her lips and she literally falls on his pillow and hugs it to herself. Tiger! My God Tiger! What was last night all about? Everything you did was so..different. More intense..More passionate..Yet (She frowns as she tries to pinpoint the difference then her frown clears) Tender! Yes..you were tender last night. It was like..like..loving. And you kept saying my name! (She closes her eyes and emotions overwhelm her) You have forgiven me. You are not going to hold the past against me. Buss Tiger mujhe aur kuch nahi chaahiye. You are with me and you are willing to give me and this relationship a chance. That’s enough for me. I love you enough for both of us. You just..your friendship is enough for me. Sachchi. The sound of the door opening makes her quickly school her features: Hey sleepyhead! Aaj hospital nahi jaana hain kya?
Nisha opens her eyes and with the blanket still wrapped around her, sits up with a smile: Good morning.
Manav tweaks her nose playfully: Good morning. Get up and get ready fast or you are going to be late. (Seeing her looking around for something to wear, he grins and pulls out the t shirt he is wearing and puts it over her head and helps her put her hands through the sleeves.) Better? (Nisha nods. He sits on the bed and pushes back the hair that has fallen over her forehead) When did you decide to grow your hair so long?
Nisha shrugs: During my MBBS. Initially I didn’t have time to get it cut and then sort of liked the long hair.
Manav wraps her hair around his wrist: It’s beautiful. (A slight pause and then) Nisha..can you take off for a few days?
Nisha: Kyon?
Manav: I want to spend time with you. I want to get to know you. Duss saal mein hum dono kitne badal gaye. I think we should have some time for ourselves. Lets go somewhere na. Kya kehti ho?
Nisha leans in so that her forehead rests on his bare shoulder: Ok. Where do you want to go?
Manav shrugs: Somewhere..anywhere..doesn’t matter. Ab toh loan ka issue bhi clear hogaya hain. Can you take off at a short notice?
Nisha: Yes. That won’t be a problem. Kab jaayenge?
Manav mentally checks through his calendar: How about Thursday? We can include the weekend and be back by Sunday night.
Nisha: Ok. I will apply for leave today when I go to CGH.
adeswal
Pro Member

Post by adeswal »

Manav: You still like snow? (Nisha looks up in surprise) I will take that as a yes. Hmmm..then lets go to Manali. (Her impulsive tight hug makes him realize the extent to which she usually holds herself back. He returns her hug.) Chalo then. Get ready. Shall I drop you at work today?
With another happy nod, Nisha quickly jumps out of the bed to shower and get ready. Soon, both of them have their breakfast and leave in the same car. Manav drops her at CGH and backs out the car after a quick wave and smile. His car merges into the traffic and he switches on the radio. Just as he is about to get on the main road, a school bus comes right behind and gives an irritated look at the continuous honking from that driver and changes the lane so that the bus can go ahead. Right when it is overtaking Manav’s car, there is a loud pop and the bus swivers irratically grazing Manav’s car roughly on the side. Manav momentarily loses control but gets it right back and stops the car to the side almost hitting the lamp post. The terrified screams get mixed with ear screeching crash reaches him and before he could think, his feet hit the road and he starts running towards the toppled school bus. He hears other cars and vehicles coming to a sudden stop and people shouting and screaming in the background but he doesn’t stop. He, along with a couple of more guys reach the bus that has fallen and turned sideways and with a quick look around, Manav climbs on to the bus and forces the door open. He picks up the kid nearest to him and lifts him up and passes him down to another pair of receiving hands. About 10 kids are quickly taken out and moved away from the bus. Manav peeks inside to find a lot of them injured and unconscious or terrified and crying including the driver. He shouts “call some ambulance” to whoever is standing within hearing distance before slowly easing himself into the vehicle. The sound of someone else climbing onto the bus is heard as he picks up the first unconscious kid and lifts him up to the pair of reaching hands. One after the other..one after the other..quickly all the kids are transferred out and the ambulance sirens are heard soon enough. Getting the driver out becomes tricky as he is stuck between the steering wheel and the seat and his skull almost split open under the impact of the door and the road. After a quick check at the pulse with trembling fingers, Manav swallows down his nausea and stumbles back. His hand grips the hand that’s stretched towards him and he pulls himself out of the bus. His gaze falls on the chaos of traffic jam amidst the amulances and police jeeps and stunned bystanders before landing on the person who helped him in getting all the kids out. The “Thank you” he is about to utter stops midway as he looks at his once upon a time best friend and betrayer..Armaan!
adeswal
Pro Member

Post by adeswal »

Chapter 8
Manav pulls his hand away from Armaan’s grip and dusts himself. Both of them jump down from the bus but Armaan, who is trying to make Manav look at him, suddenly spots a couple of kids a little away on the footpath. They had probably fallen out of the front shield window. Their faces are covered with blood and broken glass pieces. He runs towards them without a word and after a quick questioning look, Manav also follows. Armaan bends down and checks the pulse of both the kids before looking up at Manav: Both are alive. We need to get them to the hospital.
Wordlessly, they turn to see that all the ambulances have left with the rest of the kids. After checking for spinal fractures, Armaan breathes a small sigh of relief and lifts one kid in his arms: Mein apni gaadi mein lejaata hoon. It’s faster that way. Can you get the second kid?
Manav nods and picks up the second kid and walks fast towards his own battered car. Within minutes both the cars screech to a halt at the already chaotic CGH and Armaan shouts for stretchers to be brought in. Nisha, already in surgical scrubs rushes in along with the ward boys. Her feet come to a shuddering halt as she spots Manav. Without a word, she runs and helps him shift the child from the car onto the stretcher. After feeling the pulse, she instructs the stretcher to be taken into the ER exam room and turns towards Manav: Aap..aap teek hain? (Manav nods. But she looks at the torn shirt and the gash on his arm above the elbow.) You need dressing and TT for that. Come inside please. (She turns to an intern) Please take my husband to the consultaion room and dress up his wound. Administer TT also. (Then she turns back to Manav) I have to go.
Manav again nods and takes a step back: Go. Good luck.
Nisha nods and runs inside. Manav goes along with the intern and within minutes, his wound and TT is taken care of. Just as he is putting his shirt back on, there is a polite knock on the wall beside and Rohan walks in. If Manav hadn’t met him during the wedding, there is no way he would have recognised this friend of Nisha’s who is looking smart and a complete no nonsense kind in his police uniform with a black jacket thrown on top. He nods and extends his hand: Hello Mr Manav.
Manav shakes his hand with his famous side smile: Hi. Wow! You have joined duty already? I heard Nisha telling aunty that your first posting is in Ahmedabad.
Rohan nods: Ji. I just joined yesterday. I was informed that you were there when this accident happened and you helped in getting the kids out. Can you tell me more of how all this happened? (Both of them take seats and Manav gives a slight shake of his head as if unable to believe everything that happened and starts narrating everything as precisely as possible. By the end of it, both of them remain silent for a few moments.) Thank you. Punctured tyre seems to be the most possible cause but I will look into it further. (He looks at Manav’s torn shirt) You are done here? (Manav nods and both men get up) I will go and talk to the school admin people and the bus service management too. (Then he shakes Manav’s hand again) That was really a great thing that you did today. I am sure lots of parents out there are grateful.
Manav: I didn’t think. I just..it was more instinctive and impulsive than anything else.
Rohan nods: Mein ab chalta hoon. Please tell Nisha that I will meet her later. (A slight pause) She takes it hard when she loses a child. (With another small nod he turns and leaves while Manav is left with another insight on his wife’s personality and her profession.)
The rest of the day passes in a daze for Nisha as she tackles one child after the other and talks to the parents, some times reassuring them and some times consoling them and sometimes just watching them helplessly as they fell apart. 4 kids had passed away with multiple fractures and broken necks in addition to the driver. By 7 pm she is exhausted with the lives that they had managed to save and depressed at the lives that they could not despite their best efforts. She plops down in the chair in her cabin and rests her head on the table with a weary sigh. Right on cue her phone rings: Uh hello?
Manav: Hi Nisha. How are things?
Nisha’s voice chokes up and swallows before answering: Ok. We lost 2 kids and 2 are just hanging..I don’t know..what..
Manav sighs: God! Just hang on Nisha. (And cuts the call. Within 20 minutes, there is a knock on her cabin door before it opens. He looks at his wife..her head resting on the table in front and supported by both her folded arms. She looks up with a resigned look that quickly turns into one of mild surprise. He goes inside with a soft smile and crouches down in front of her chair before taking her hand in his) Nisha..
Nisha blinks her wide wide eyes at him: Aap..yahaa?
Manav: How are you doing? Subah se kuch khaaya?
Nisha’s lips tremble: N..nahi. I was not hungry. And there was no time. (Then as if a sudden thought occurred, her eyes dim further and she hangs her head almost guiltily) I am sorry..today I was not there by the time you got home..I..
Manav closes his eyes and locks his jaw. I am going to have to erase and make up for so many things! He quickly gets the smile back on his face and chucks her softly over her chin: Hey, don’t worry about that. I know today would have been hectic for you. see..I got some sandwiches and juice for you. aao. Pehle kuch khaalo. (Nisha shakes her head) Come on..you need energy to go on na.
Nisha gets up reluctantly and Manav guides her onto the sofa. Both of them share the sandwiches and the juice. Manav keeps her diverted and entertained with his small talk about what happened in VM that day and his meeting with the work force and by the end of it, Nisha, with a little food inside her, does feel a little better: Thank you. Aap ka haath kaisa hain?
Manav waves it away: Just a scratch. I will remove the plaster once I get home.
Before he could add more, the door opens suddenly and a nurse comes in with a panicked look on her face: Dr Nisha..Vijay is flat lining. (Nisha drops the last piece of sandwich and gets up. Manav puts a hand over her shoulder): Kuch nahi hoga. Jaao. I will wait here for you. Good luck.
And he is there 3 hours later..feet propped up in the table, fast asleep on the sofa..but waiting for her..just like he said. Nisha extends her hand as if to touch his hair but right at that moment his eyes open and she quickly withdraws her hand. He rubs his eyes and gets up: Howz the child?
Nisha nods: Stabilized. Not out of danger but..ok for now. Ghar chale?
At home:
Nisha is lying down on the bed, her head supported by her palm and keeps looking at her husband. He is fast asleep on his stomach with one arm thrown carelessly in her direction but face turned away from her. Her eyes are full of joy, wonder and a strange kind of peace. Tiger, pata hain mujhe aisa lagraha hain ki mein koi sapna dekhrahi hoon..a beautiful dream where you are the same Tiger that you were all those years ago..caring, thoughtful..who was just there for me no matter what. Today the way you came to the hospital, made sure that I ate, reassured me and stayed back waiting for me.. as if unable to resist, she rests her head on his bare back. With a sleepy hmmmm..he turns to her side, pulls her closer to him cuddling her up in his arms before settling down again. With a small contented smile, her eyes drift close.
Next morning (Wednesday):
Manav comes out of the study room at home with his phone and laptop bag in his hand: Aaj CGH jaarahi ho? (Nisha turns from her conversation with HK and nods.)
Manav: Teek hain. Mujhe office jaana hain. I have to wrap up a few things before our trip tomorrow. You will take care of the packing, right? (Nisha nods) Our flight is tomorrow morning..Ahmedabad to Delhi and then Delhi to Kullu. Ok? (Another solemn nod) Excited? (This time a small shy smile with the nod) Toh mein jaau? (Another nod) Aaj tumhaara koi vrat hain kya?
Nisha frowns: Ji?
Manav grins: Nahi..the way you were answering without speaking..I thought koi maun vrat kuch hain..
A tiny involuntary chuckle escapes her and she starts shaking her head before smiling again: Ji aisa kuch nahi hain. I will take care of the packing. Aap office jaayiye. (With a small wave to Nisha and a nod to HK, he leaves.)
Next day Evening: Manali: Holiday Cottages:
Nisha is looking out of the window of the room while Manav tips the bellboy and closes the door: It really IS cold!
Nisha turns back from the window: The receptionist was saying it touched zero last night.
Manav looks around the room: You want me to light the fireplace? (Nisha wraps her arms around herself but shakes her head. He grins and pulls her cheek) Tand lagrahi hain..kaamp rahi ho aur fire nahi chaahiye! Achcha chalo.. Let’s go out and walk around for a while before the dinner time.
Both of them pull on the warm clothing and go out. After walking down a couple of blocks enjoying the scenic beauty despite the freezing cold. Soon, they find a quiet park and sit on one of the benches. Manav: So how are the kids from that bus accident?
Nisha gives a relieved smile: They are much better. I got an sms when we were in Delhi airport that the 2 kids are now out of ICU..(She gives him a hasty look) I mean..I just wanted to make sure..
Manav continues to look at the darkening skies with a thoughtful smile on his face: You are a great doctor and somehow I am not surprised you know. Mein jaanta tha..ki tum jispe bhi apna dimaag lagaaogi usme kamiyaab hokarhi chodogi. The day you said you want to take up medicine, I knew you won’t leave it until you had that degree in your hands.
Nisha’s cheeks, which are already pink from the cold become warm with the blush: Thank you.
Manav’s smile slowly dissolves: Ek baat poochu Nisha? (As if already knowing what he is going to ask, she swallows, wets her lips and nods) Why did you do it? All those years ago? That’s what I never understood or rather could not accept. I knew you so well yet I could never imagine for one single nano second that YOU..
Nisha looks away guiltily: I guess I wasn’t thinking.
Manav turns towards her: Lekin Nisha..how could you NOT think? (Silence) I mean how can the thought NOT come that something could have badly gone wrong at that time. What if I hadn’t lost consciousness when I did? What if I had..(He shudders as if the thought still has the power to send a shiver down his spine.)
Nisha wets her lips, swallows repeatedly and looks away: I am sorry. I really just wasn’t thinking. I kind of liked you..I mean I always liked you but I mean I REALLY liked you and I was scared that if I ever told you you’d be disgusted. I could never tell you but I used to dream about going out with you..you know..like a date..Somewhere romantic..dinner woh sab..I probably wouldn’t have done anything if you had got engaged and later on married Aditi but then the engagement got cancelled and I realized you were free. That I could have this time with you and no one would know anything about it including you and technically I wouldn’t be sharing you with anybody else. For that short time you would have been mine. (She swallows and looks into his eyes as a lone tear rolls down her cheek) All I can say is I am sorry. I was stupid and impulsive and reckless.
That open admission and at the open vulnerability in her eyes as they look into his for the first time moves him. She accepted everything giving out her reasons, however twisted they were at that point all those years ago and that douzes his temper and his own fear and vulnerability peaks out: You were 15 Nisha! I was older, stronger, taller..agar mein uss haalat mein kuch kardeta toh? What would have happened to you? What would have happened to ME? I would probably have killed mys..
Nisha covers his mouth with her gloved hand while he continues to lock his eyes with her now horror filled ones. She just shakes her head continuously. Her lower trip trembles and she bows her head. I wish I could tell you Tiger. I wish I could tell you that I loved you..that I still love you..but you have just begun to let everything go and trust me again. If I tell you now that I loved you when I was 15..then..I don’t want you to laugh at me or worse, feel disgust now any more that I did then. : No. Please. Don’t say that. You were special to me. Our relationship was precious to me. You were my best friend and I am sorry..more sorry than I can say that I erased all that with my stupidity.
Manav looks at her downbent head for endless moments before sighing and putting his arm around her and pulling her into a one armed hug before wiping away her tear with his gloved hand: Its ok. (A slight pause and then) I guess all said and done I can’t deny that if you hadn’t done that then I wouldn’t have had that alibi. (He leans his cheek over her hair and continues to think) You know..if it was just about what you did, my reaction wouldn’t have been so extreme that I would have left the town. But everything and everyone hit me and slashed me to pieces at the same time. Aditi, Armaan, you..it was like wherever I turned, I saw betrayal. (Nisha closes her eyes to stop her tears) I don’t know why both of them did what they did but I can never forgive them. Ek hi jhatke mein dosti aur pyaar..dono parse vishwaas udgaya mera. I mean..neither of them ever..I mean I honestly never suspected anything like..(He cuts off the sentence as if suddenly remembering the fact that he is talking to his wife about his past lover. But she always had the ability to make him comfortable and at ease with himself. Guess something don’t change after all!) Ab woh sab beeti baaten dohraake koi faayda nahi hain Nisha. Let’s try and move on.
Nisha swallows and softly ventures: Aur Armaan sir bhi..
Manav removes his arm from around her and gets up angrily: Enough I said. I don’t want to talk about him and don’t you DARE to try to defend him.
Nisha gets up: Nahi..mein toh buss..
Manav catches her arm and pulls her close until his fogged breath blows over her face and his eyes spit fire at her: Ek baat sunlo Nisha..I know that he is your senior in CGH. I can’t do anything about it. I don’t like it. Not one bit. But I am willing to trust you. YOU Nisha. Not him. So no more inviting him to our functions and family gatherings. And I want you to be careful. Ok? (He holds both her arms above her elbows and gently shakes her) Ok? Promise me that.
Nisha nods: I promise. (Manav nods curtly and after a while both of them make their way back to the hotel each lost in their own thoughts. His gaze falls on one of the shops in the street and wordlessly he goes inside that only to come out a few minutes later with a plastic bag containing a box inside. He looks at Nisha as if expecting her to ask what it is but she starts walking beside him, with her hands stuffed inside her long winter coat. The Chulbuli I knew would have hopped beside me into the shop and if by chance I refused to take her, would have snatched the bag and peeped inside as soon as I came out. He sighs and looks at her thoughtfully. May be its a good thing that I missed out on all the growing up years when she turned from a naughty girl into a professional woman! I probably couldn’t have accepted her as my partner if she had remained the same or had I been there during those growing up years. Both of them reach the hotel and have their dinner before going back to the room. Topics during dinner remain neutral as if both of them are trying to let the painful past finally go and move on. Once back in the room Nisha opens her carry on to take out her clothes but he takes her hand and pulls her to the bed and makes her sit on it before opening the box he had bought at the store. She peeps inside to see lots of multicoloured glass bangles. Her delightfully surprised adoring eyes continue to look at him as he silently takes the bangles from the box and starts putting them on her hand. He doesn’t look up or meet her eyes: Nisha..tumhaara pati..tumhaara pati koi Ram toh nahi hain but I want to give this relationship..us..a chance. I want to move on. Will you help me do that? Will you be able to forgive and forget everything that happened right after our marriage and make a fresh start?
Nisha nods enthusiastically as she continues to look at him with stars in her eyes. The fact that he remembered the cracked bangles of that night and is trying to say sorry in his own way makes her entire face light up with joy. She almost stumbles in her haste to get the words out: The past doesn’t matter Manav..if..if you..the present and the future..those matter more. If you can give me those then I will be happy.
Manav looks up with a small sideways smile: Even with someone 15 years older than you? We are bound to have issues.
As if unable to resist anymore, she cups his cheek: That never..(She bites her lip to cut off the words) That doesn’t matter. We were friends once. I think we can be friends again. I would love that. We will deal with the issues. I mean..Everyone has issues right?
The hopeful look in her eyes melts the last of his defences. He nods in relief and his fingers remove the pins holding her hair in the top knot. With a small groan of anticipated pleasure, he spreads her hair all over her shoulders and back before gripping it with both his hands and rubbing his face all over it: I love this..I love your long hair..makes me want to (He gently pushes her back until her head rests on the pillow with her hair spread all around her and leans over her before falling on the empty space beside her. He then wraps his arm around her waist and literally pulls her completely over him until her hair becomes a curtain covering both their faces.) Makes me want to do this..aah Nisha..beautiful..just beautiful!
His lips touch hers and her passionate response almost singes him. He takes a small bite at her lower lip and immediately soothes it with his tongue. One hand travels from her waist up to her shoulder where he tries to remove the pin that’s holding the sari together. He pulls his lips away from hers and takes a deep breath before muttering: You better remove that or I will end up tearing it. (A moment’s pause and then he tightens his arms around her to prevent her movement.) Nisha..that first time..did I hurt you?
Nisha hides her face in his neck and her fingers grip his shirt over his chest: Nahi.
Manav pulls back her face so that he can look into her eyes: Sure?
Nisha nods shyly before impulsively placing a sudden kiss on his cheek. But before she could roll off, he reverses their positions until she is under him and pulls her arms until they are wrapped around his neck: What was that?
Nisha’s eyes are closed; face turned away with a pink cheek facing him and he tenderly brushes away the hair that’s fallen over her face. She mumbles: Kiss.
Manav grins: That’s called a kiss? Dr Nisha, you need to learn a lot.
Nisha’s arms tighten around his neck until her fingers softly dig in his hair at the nape: Then teach me.
Manav’s lips travel from her cheek to her neck as his fingers start unhooking her blouse: Teach? Hmmm..not a bad idea par mera fees ka kya?
Nisha arches her neck: Jo chaahe..jab chaahe..
He cups her breast and lowers his head: Tempting..so very tempting Mrs Mathur. (He licks her lower lips until she parts it and gives her an open mouthed kiss before softly pushing his tongue inside to taste and invites her to reciprocate. His breath huffs out on her face when they part finally to draw a breath.) That’s called a kiss. (Nisha’s red lips stretch into a smile but she obediently nods. His palm cups her breast and he lowers his head to take the beaded nipple into his mouth to suckle hard. Minutes stretch as he pays homage to one and then the next before coming back once again to the first one. Her back arches and her lips part in an instinctive protest when he finally raises his head.) You know what that’s called? (She is incapable of speech by now..just nods and tries to pull his head back to her chest.) You have to answer me first. Whats it called? (Nisha bites her lip but finally whispers the word in his ear causing his eyes to darken further with passion. He lowers his head and gives a small nip at the point where her neck meets her shoulder causing goosebumps to raise all over her.) And what is that? (He lifts her hand and places it on his shirt buttons and her fingers don’t waste a second before they get to work and soon she has him forgetting his questions and lessons. Finally, with a rough exclamation he spreads her legs and claims her.) You drive me crazy Nisha..absolutely crazy..
Her hand fumbles until she can turn the lights off and in the darkness, with only the fire crackling in the room; she shows him that he has already driven her crazy to the point of madness.
The rest of the trip they spend time getting to know each other in every way. They compare what they knew from before to what has changed now in their tastes and preferences. Other than one conference call and checking his mails through his phone, Manav manages to spend the rest of the time with Nisha. Second day they visit the Hadimba temple and the Tibetian Monasteries and the third day they go to see the hot water springs and the Naggar castle. Manav surprises Nisha by taking her to the Rohtang pass highway where Manav tempts her into a game of snowball throwing match. After getting hit about 3 times successively, Nisha sheds her reserve and gets into the spirit of things. Both fight and roll in the snow and he ends up stuffing the cold snow inside her shirt making her scream out loud amidst his laughter and her own uncontrollable chuckles. Soon Sunday arrives and both of them start packing for their departure. He rolls and stuffs one of his shirt in the carry on and wordlessly she takes it out, folds it and puts it back again neatly: Kya farak padta hain? They anyway need to be washed.
Nisha smiles: Farak toh nahi padega par iss tarah zyaada kapde rakhsakte hain na? Aap ka woh waala jacket aap pehke aanewaale hain ya andar rakhdoo?
Manav stops packing and looks at her: Yeh aap aap kya hain Nisha? Bahut ajeeb lagta hain mujhe. You never used to address me like that before na.
Nisha smiles: Baan par..(She just shrugs awkwardly)
He sits on the bed and pulls her until she is standing before him: Just call me by name na..yeh ji, aap, aayiye, baitiye..Yaar why do you want to make me feel old?
Nisha grins as if she can’t help herself any more: Mera iraada aap ko booda bananeka nahi tha.
Manav pulls her closer, wraps his arms around her and rubs his face on her tummy and gives a mock growl: Phir wohi aap! And yes, it does make me feel old. So stop it. (Then he looks up) Please? (Nisha nods and both of them quickly finish the packing. He gives a quick look around the room and searches his pockets making sure everything is there.) Hogaya? Shall we go?
Nisha picks up her bagpack: Ji. (He looks at her with a tired sigh and she bites her tongue. With a small laugh, both of them begin their journey back home.)
A few days later: On the morning of the party / reception: Verma Residence:
Nandini rushes into the kitchen: CS, sab taiyyaar hain na?
CS: Phikr na karo memsaab. Sab ready hain.
Nandini: Aur woh fruits sab cut karke rakhe hain na? Manav ko khaane ke baad fruit salad pasand hain.
CS: Ji. Wahi kar raha hoon. Aap jaake baaki ka kaam dekhleejiye mein sab sambhaal loonga.
Nandini: Sab kuch achcha hona chahiye CS. Damaad pehli baar ghar aarahe hain.
Anu pops in: Kya aunty? Itne tension mein kyon hain?
Nandini gives a sigh of relief: Anu..tu aagayi beti? Good. Good. Shaam ke party ka dress saath mein laayi ho na?
Anu: Ji. No issues. Ab mein yahaa se kal subah hi jaaungi. Mummy se bolke aayi hoon. (Nandini kisses Anu’s cheek with obvious affection) Waise Nisha kab aarahi hain? She told me that they would be coming for lunch here and then we would all get ready and go to the party together.
Nandini’s face glows: Abhi. Woh teeno wahaa se nikal chuke hain.
Anu: Teeno?
Nandini: Haan. Nisha, Manav aur Hiraman. Hiraman wanted to stay back but both Manav and Nisha insisted so he is also coming.
Yog’s quick strides bring him into the kitchen: You are here gossiping? They have come. Chalo chalo.
Nandini takes the arti ki thaali and after adjusting her sari goes towards the main door: Arre arre..itni jaldi nahi. Ruko ruko.
Manav looks at Nandini doing the aarti and tilak for him with a confused smile on his face: Yeh sab kya hain aunty?
Nandini: You have come to our house for the first time as our damaad. Swaagat toh honi chaahiye na.
Manav looks away for a second but gets back his smile and bends down to take the blessings of Yog and Nandini. With a small smile Nisha also follows suit. Lunch takes on a festive air with everyone in a jubiliant mood and talking over each other. Nisha is the only one who just sits back and lets the conversation flow over her until Anu pulls her arm: Oye, shaam ko kya pehenrahi hain?
Nisha: one of the two ghagras we bought the other day. The dark green with gold one. You?
Anu: Baby pink and silver wala. Aur..(She lowers her voice) Jeejaji kya pehenne waale hain?
Nisha’s eyes automatically look at Manav, who is busy conversing the current stock rates with her father: That midnight blue with silver one.
Anu’s eyes become wide: Haan..your favourite colour?! (She immediately tones down her tone but her voice comes out as a squeak) Sachchi? Wow yaar! (Nisha’s smile widens and Anu tilts her head to look at her best friend’s glowing face) Tu khush hain? (Nisha nods) Good. Achcha chal kuch khaale. Shaam ko party mein naachna hain. Vishaal and Rohan chose some movie songs to do play and dance. Mazaa aayega. I am going to dance and I am going to make YOU dance too.
That evening: Function Hall:
The hall has been decorated with cream, red and gold coloured curtains with red, white and yellow roses and tulips. Chandeliars hang from the ceiling illuminating the whole hall. Round tables with chairs are places in strategic places but the centre area is left open as a dance floor and a small dias though not very high, just a step up, is arranged near the wall and decorated chairs are placed for both Manav and Nisha to sit. 3 cars reach the hall right one after the other. First one has Yog, Nandini, CS and HK. The second one has Anu, Vishaal and Anu’s parents. And as the third flower decorated car comes to a halt in front of the entrance, the door opens and is held by someone from the outside. Manav exits first and gives a surprised smile at the person holding the door open: Oh! Hello Rohan!
Dressed in a black sherwani, Rohan smiles back and extends his hand: Hello Manavji!
adeswal
Pro Member

Post by adeswal »

Chapter 9
“Yeh Manav wahi tha na jo kuch saal pehle inke teesre partner ke beti se shaadi karna chaahta tha?”
“Haan yeh wahi hain. Woh ladki marr gayi aur ab iss partner ke ladki se shaadi karli”
“Oh God! Whats with this guy and his father’s partners and their daughters? And how did THIS girl agree?”
“Arre all this is common in business circles. Aur phir maze ki baat toh yeh hain ki yeh Nisha wahi ladki hain jissne Manav ko kuch pilaake uske saath apne photos khichvaayi thi..”
“Oh wow..and here I was thinking poor girl ended up having to marry to save her father’s business.”
“Mein toh kehti hoon, even her parents would have been glad to wash their hands off her this way. Aur karte bhi kya? Zara socho..15 saal ki umr mein agar yeh aisi thi toh..”
Vishaal pulls Anu back: Shshhh..yeh kya kar rahi ho?
Anu’s face is red and her voice is nowhere near as quiet as it should be ensuring that the two gossiping women hear whatever it is she is speaking: Mera hath chodo Vishaal. Inn logo ko sharm naam ki bhi koi cheez hain ki nahi? Duss saal pehle jo hua uska poora sach inko maloom hain kya? Kya hua..kyon hua..uske baad kya hua..yeh shaadi ab kyon hua..they don’t want the facts. They just love pointing fingers at others. They forget the fact that when they point one finger at someone, the rest of the fingers are pointing at themselves. They have come to uncle and Jeejaji’s party, enjoying the food and still commenting on them.
By now the two women are red in the face. They quickly avert their eyes and move away from the vicinity of Anu, the ticking time bomb. Vishaal chuckles softly and sighs: Lo..tumne toh unn logo ko bhagahi diya. Aadha khaana chodke chalegaye. Itna gussa teek nahi hain Anu.
Anu looks at the dias where Nisha and Manav are standing and coversing with someone. Both for the first time after their meeting a little more than a month ago, are looking happy. No crackling tension or blistering temper or stony silence. Vishaal also observes the same with a smile on his face.
Suno Ik Thi Kaanch Ki Gudiya Suno Ik Thi Pyaar Ki Pudiya
Sadke, Uss Pyaar Ke
Suno Ik Tha Pind Da Shera Aaya Kas Ke Baandh Woh Sehra
Sadke, Uss Yaar Ke
Everyone turns to see Rohan standing in the middle of the dance floor with his hands folded and with a small smile on his face singing for his friend and her husband. Vishaal grins and pulls Anu along with him and both of them join Rohan in his song and dance. And soon other friends also join them in the dance:
Saji Thi Doli Woh,Chadha Tha Ghodi Voh
Khoya Jaane Kahan Inna Sona
Pyaar Baliye
Jogi Mahi, Heer Raanjhana,
Sab Nu Ja Ke Main Yeh Bolna,
Baat Bol Ke, Raaz Kholna
Yog and Nandini climb on to the dias with a plate of sweets. Yog feeds Nisha and Nandini feeds Manav. He takes a small bite, grins and stuffs the rest of it in Nisha’s mouth as the parents look on indulgently at the pair. Rohan smiles at that but his eyes hold a kind of sadness as he looks at Nisha:
Dil Thaame Hue,
Woh Tha Khada, Chup Ke Se Yun,
Dur Baithe Hue, Umra Gaiyaan
Jaane Na Tu
Anu pushes Vishaal towards Rohan and he takes over the song:
Deewane Ne Di Jawani, Ke Har Gham Tu Bhula De,
Deta Hi Raha Sadayein, Ke Dil Se Tu Bula Le
It gives Rohan time to school his features back to his usual smile and pick up the song along with Vishaal with Anu whirling and dancing between them:
O Chhad De Ve Zid Hun, Chhaje Uttey Aaja Hun,
Dil Tuta Janda Sun Pyaar Dulya
Jogi Mahi, Heer Raanjhana,
Sab Nu Ja Ke Main Yeh Bolna,
Baat Bol Ke, Raaz Kholna
Jind Meri, Jind Meri, Hun Te Aaja Jind Meri, Jind Meri, Hun Te Aaja
Jadon Da Rus Gaya, Khuda Bhi Bhul Gaya,
Jindadi Jaandi Hai Dholna
Anu starts walking towards the dias and Nisha. Images keep flashing before her. An image of a 12-13 yr old mischievous Nisha making faces and running away before she could catch her, Nisha jumping the wall of her house to go and play cricket in the street, Nisha pleadingly looking at Anu and extending her camera to her, Nisha all scared and hurt with the crude comments from the boys, hiding behind Rohan, Nisha completely hidden behind a blank doll face. She goes and hugs Nisha tightly and places a soft kiss on her cheek:
Woh, Jaane Kahan, Gum Ho Gayi, Phir Na Mili
Jo Phoolon Si Thi, Rus Hi Gayi, Phir Na Khili,
Then before Manav or Nisha catch her expression, she gets her smile back and turns towards Vishaal extending her hand towards him. He pulls her to him with an arm around her waist and twirls her around:
Pyaar Maanga Tha Maine Rabb Se, Woh Rehta Tha Yahin Pe,
Maangun Mein Yehi Duayein, Laut Aaye Woh Kahin Se
Oh Chhad De Ve Zid Hun Chhaje Uttey Aaja Hun,
Dil Tuta Janda Sun Pyaar Dulya
Anu, Vishaal and Rohan all 3 climb on to the dias and pull both Manav and Nisha into the dance with them. After the initial protest, Manav and Nisha start clapping and dancing around each other to the beat of the music:
Suno Ik Thi Kaanch Ki Gudiya Suno Ik Thi Pyaar Ki Pudiya
Sadke, Uss Pyaar Ke
Suno Ik Tha Pind Da Shera Aaya Kas Ke Baandh Woh Sehra
Sadke, Uss Yaar Ke
Saji Thi Doli Woh, Chadha Tha Ghodi Voh
Khoya Jaane Kahan Inna Sona Pyaar Baliye
Jogi Mahi, Heer Raanjhana, Sab Nu Ja Ke Main Yeh Bolna,
Baat Bol Ke, Raaz Kholna
Almost at the end of it, Manav gives a “mera toh hogaya” expression and walks back to the dias and settles down. Nisha turns from the dance and on seeing that Manav is missing, looks around. Upon spotting him on the dias, she also follows him. Manav extends his hand while she is climbing the dias and snags a couple of drinks from the passing waiter. Anu runs and tries to pull a protesting Nisha back to the dancing and Nisha gets down. She gestures the juice in her hand and goes back to sit and drink it. Manav frowns and fumbles in his pocket to take out his phone, checks the id and with a quick look of apology to Nisha starts walking a little away from the noise with one ear covered and the second one listening to the caller. Rohan continues to dance but suddenly his gaze falls on the ceiling right above to the place where Nisha is sitting and he starts running. With a quick shout of “NISHA WATCH OUT!” he pulls her down and away from the dias shielding her completely as the heavy chandelier hanging above her comes crashing down missing both Nisha and Rohan by mere inches. Stunned silence follows the resounding crash and a second later Manav’s shout of NISHA echoes in the hall. He runs back to where both Rohan and Nisha are standing..pale, stunned but unharmed and he snatches Nisha into his arms and hugs her tight. His panicked gaze meets that of Rohan’s: Kya hua?
Rohan shakes his head a little and turns back towards the broken chandelier: Pata nahi. I was dancing and I saw..
Manav pulls Nisha back to look at her face and runs his trembling hands hastily all over her: Tum..teek ho?
Nisha nods and is once again pulled into Manav’s hug. The rapid loud thud thud of his heart echoes her own. Still in her husband’s arms, looks at Rohan: Th..thank you Rohan.
Manav glares around at everyone: Who the hell was so careless while decorating the hall? I want that guy in front of me in exactly 2 minutes. (Rohan continues to look at the chandelier with a frown and slowly goes closer to it and starts walking around it.) Rohan sambhalke. The power cord is hanging loose. (Rohan nods without looking up at Manav and he starts looking around as if searching for something. Manav picks up one of the wooden drum sticks from the dance floor) Here catch! (Rohan nods his thank you and lifts the thick rope that’s supposed to hold the chandelier with the stick and rolls it around so that it doesn’t slip off. His frown deepens and anger takes over his expression)
He looks at Manav: Aap log ghar jaayiye. Mein baad mein milta hoon. (His eyes follow the rod on the ceiling and back to the area in the back stage where the ropes were tied to a thick poll. He turns to look at the crowd.) Please do not touch the poll or the rod or the chandelier. (Then he walks back to Manav and gestures him to come aside) Manavji, go home. and be careful while going. Don’t take any lonely streets or short cuts. And don’t leave Nisha alone at any point of time.
Manav frowns: Kya baat hain Rohan?
Rohan shakes his head: I don’t know. Something is not right. I will come and talk to you in a while. Just..just be careful. Ok?
Manav nods and everyone leaves. Yog and Anu’s father stay back to talk to the function hall manager regarding the accident and Rohan takes his phone and moves away from the departing crowd.
At Manav’s residence: Their bedroom:
Manav: You sure you are not hurt, right?
Nisha: Not even a scratch. (A small pause) But otherwise, the party was good until then, right?
Manav nods and then frowns: Something is bothering you. Come on Nisha..out with it.
She blinks in surprise: Ji? Nahi. Aisa kuch nahi hain. Buss..I just have a little headache that’s all.
Manav: Migraine?
Nisha sighs and sits down on the bed and starts rubbing her neck and shoulder: I hope not. I don’t want that medication again. Makes me too drowsy.
Manav pulls her up: Jaao. Tande paane se muh dholo and get changed. I will darken the room and get the ice pack for you. Let’s see if we can avoid the medication this time.
He quickly closes the curtains, switches off the lights except the small bedlight and adjusts the bed before going down to get the ice pack. He comes back to find her already in the bed in her usual loose t shirt and track pant. He sits beside her and puts the ice pack on her forehead before massaging her neck and shoulder: Itna tension kyon leti ho Nisha? You need to relax. Don’t think and worry so much. Kuch nahi hoga. Mein hoon na? Hmmm? (She bites her lower lip to stop herself from saying “I love you so much Tiger!”) Kuch chahiye? (She shakes her head) Then why have you stiffened up?
Nisha swallows: Ji..woh..can I ask you something?
Manav: Sure.
Nisha: Will you hug me while I go to sleep? Achcha lagta hain.
Manav pushes away the hair falling on her forehead affectionately: Yeh bhi koi poochne ki baat hain? Tumhaara haq hain Nisha. You can demand for it. Any time. Move a little and give me some space.
She quickly moves and he lies down beside her before pulling her into his arms. She rests her head on his shoulder with a sigh of relief while his arm tightens around her. He continues to use the cold compress on her forehead with his free hand and within minutes, her hand gripping his t shirt tightly, she slides off into sleep.
About an hour later, Rohan’s Scorpio Jeep stops in front of Manav’s residence. HK gets him a tall glass of juice while he waits for Manav and soon enough, Manav comes down the stairs: Hi Rohan.
Rohan gets up and looks around as if searching for someone. Manav observes that: Nisha is having a headache. I didn’t want another migraine attack so I put her to bed. You need to talk to her too?
Rohan shakes his head: No. I would prefer if she is not there actually. I need to ask you a few questions.
Manav gestures him to sit and seats himself opposite to him: Baat kya hain Rohan? That accident..it WAS an accident right?
Rohan leans forward: No. It was not an accident. There was no snagging of the rope and no finger prints anywhere on the rod. The clean cut and the wiping off of the finger prints indicate..
Manav locks his jaw and springs up from the chair: Indicate someone did it deliberately. Who the hell would dare to do something like that?
Rohan: It’s too soon to conclude and point fingers at someone. I still have to go through the video of the function yesterday and see if anything pops up. I am going to head out there from here. I just want to ask if you suspect anyone. I mean does anyone hold a grudge against her because of you?
Manav gives an uncomprehending look: Grudge against HER because ME? I don’t understand.
Rohan sighs: Do you have any ex girlfriends or lovers?
Manav gives a slightly awkward laugh and runs a distracted hand through his hair: Haan par isse uss baat ka kya connection hain?
Rohan: 90% of the cases of this kind end up with that factor Manavji. It usually boils down to some jealous ex in the past and that’s why I am asking you. This never happened before to Nisha. Someone waited until you got down from the dias and she got on it before cutting the rope..Indicating they didn’t want to harm you only HER. So I just thought I will ask you. Maybe an ex lover or ex girlfriend or someone of that kind..someone you suspect..
Manav laughs: I don’t know of anyone who is or was in love with me. And as far as Nisha goes I don't know of anyone other than you.
Rohan is taken aback: What do you mean?
Manav: I am not trying to imply anything here. But I do know that you love her.
Rohan looks embarrassed: Aap ko kaise pata? Meine toh Nisha ko bhi..
Manav smiles: Oh come on Rohan. Koi bachcha bhi bata dega. Tumhari aakhoon mein saaf dikhta hai.
Rohan for once has no answer: Ji?
Manav gives Rohan a shrewd look: What? You think I can’t see the adoration in your eyes when you look at her? And yet, you have remained her true friend all these years. (Rohan frowns) Yes. Anu told me everything that happened.
Rohan looks away and then back at Manav with a smile. A small yet a genuine one: Meri baat hi alag hain Manavji. I always knew where I stood with Nisha. I knew Nisha never saw me as anything other than a friend. If I say something then I would end up losing that friendship. And it’s not worth it. (Manav looks at him with his head slightly tilted and finally gives him a nod. Rohan picks up his jacket and gets up) Toh ab mein chalta hoon. Please think and let me know if any names pop up in your mind.
Manav nods and shakes his hand: Will do. Thanks Rohan.
Rohan takes a few steps and turns back again to face Manav: Meri aakhhon ka dikhta hai. Par itne saalon se aapko Nisha ki aakhoon mein nahi dikha? You say you can see the adoration in my eyes when I look at Nisha. Then how come you missed the look in her eyes when she sees you? (Manav frowns as if he still doesn’t get it and Rohan shakes his head with a smile) You never saw her adoration..her love when she looks at you? The way she has ALWAYS looked at you? As long as I remember, there has been only one man for her. Aur woh aap hain Manavji. Chalta hoon. Goodnight. (The main door closes softly behind his exit.)
Gobsmacked is the only word to describe Manav’s feelings on hearing that. Nisha..my Chulbuli..my wife..was..is..has been in love with me? All this time? All these years? How? Is it even possible? I was not even here most of that time! May be Rohan is wrong? But then why would he be wrong? He and Anu were the only ones who stayed with her all through. So that means ..(The reason behind her coming out with the snaps all those years ago and everything that she did now, took a whole new meaning to him now. He looks up in the direction of the bedroom) Why didn’t you say something Nisha? Why didn’t you..huh..I hardly ever gave you a reason to trust me na. You probably think I won’t believe you or worse, laugh at you and your emotions. (He almost collapses back into the sofa and covers his face) “Hey Chulbuli, aaj mein nahi aasakta re. I am going out on a date with Aditi. I am going to propose to her during the dinner. You are the only one to know it first so keep quiet. No spilling beans. Ok?” “Hey Chulbuli, yeh mein kya sunn raha hoon? Tu aunty aur mom ke saath shopping nahi jaarahi hain? Go na. Mom wants to buy you something special to wear on the day of my engagement.” “Why? You still not over your crush on me?” “ You seem to have turned into quite a good lapdog in the last decade. So trot back out there and tell your darling daddy that VM will be saved.” “Do you pretend that I am Armaan? Do you think about him when we are like this? Is that why you like darkness so much?” How did you feel then..when I said those things to you? And after we got married..( His head falls back and he blinks repeatedly as his eyes stare at the ceiling with blurred vision) Is that why you want darkness when we are..? Is that your way of hiding your feelings from me? And stupid that I am, I thought God knows what and later on just assumed that you were feeling shy. He climbs the steps still in a kind of daze and goes into the room. He looks at the curled up sleeping form of his wife. His first instinct is to shake her awake and look into her eyes so that he could get the confirmation. He shakes his head a little as he rejects the thought of waking her up but as if unable to resist, slides in beside her and carefully pulls her into his arms so that her head once again rests on his shoulder. She jerks a little and he soothes her with a soft shhhh and rubs his hand over her back until she settles down once again with a soft sigh. And now this incident tonight! If Rohan is right and someone really is after you.. (He tightens his arm around her and his eyes blaze fire) Koi haath lagaake toh dekhe! I could not do anything to save Aditi..could not even bring the killer to justice because I was too wrapped up in my own anger and sense of betrayal but this time! Tumhe kuch nahi hone doonga Nisha. I swear! Whoever it is, will have to go through ME first. Tumhe kuch nahi hoga!
Next day morning around 6 am:
Manav finishes tying his shoelace and picks up his phone to make a call: Hello Rohan? I want to talk to you.
Rohan: Achcha hua Manavji ki aap ne call kiya. I was just about to call you myself. Can you meet me?
Manav: Sure. I am going for a run now. Want to join?
Rohan: I will do that. Aap ke street corner pe milte hain. 10 minutes.
Manav: Ok. Bye.
Rohan: Manavji..ghar mein Nisha..
Manav: Don’t worry Rohan. Kaka hain aur meine unko mera number speed dial mein rakhke diya hain. And we will run just around the street.
Rohan: Ok. See you in 10.
Sure enough, within 10 minutes Rohan’s jeep comes to a halt at the street corner and he gets down in his track suit. Both of them do the warm up for a couple of minutes and start jogging. They remain silent for the first couple of rounds.
Manav: You sure this one was deliberate?
Rohan: Ji. There were absolutely no finger prints on the rod. Someone wiped it clean. I am going to look into the video today to see if I can catch anyone going in that direction or someone uninvited being there. I need the guest list.
Manav nods: I will email it to you as soon as I reach home. (He shakes his head) Tough to believe this though.
By now Manav is panting due to talking and running and Rohan slows down to keep up with him. They finally stop at the other end of the street from where Manav’s house is still visible.
Manav: Yaar..I am too old for this. I can’t talk, run and keep up with you. So what were you saying?
Rohan: Itna hi nahi. There is actually something else. That school bus accident..you remember, right? (Manav nods) Woh tyre puncture nahi hua tha. Someone shot with it with a sniper. Bullet was recovered and report says the sniper is an unregistered one. We were thinking of who would shoot at a school bus but now..
Manav’s frown deepens as his mind tries to work out the connection. His gaze snaps back to Rohan: You think that was intended for my car? But you said Nisha (His eyes clear and fury burns in them) that was Nisha’s car. It had tinted windows. So you are saying whoever it is, mistook me for her?
Rohan nods. The anger in his eyes matches that of Manav’s: Possible. Or they were hired and were just given Nisha’s car number without any further details. That guy missed and hit the school bus instead, killing 4 children and the driver in the process.
Manav almost growls out the words: The driver was honking so I just changed the lane so that he can go ahead.
Rohan: That explains it. I wonder why he took a chance in that road at that point! You know..I am thinking of something else too. (Manav looks at him questioningly) Aditi’s killer was never caught, right?
Manav nods: Lack of evidence. So the case was closed after a couple of years. After that her father shifted to US.
Rohan: May be these two are connected Manavji.
Manav: What? But that was 10 years back..you mean..the person who killed Aditi is now trying to kill Nisha?
Rohan nods: That’s what I think. That murder was unsolved. Whoever it was, kept quiet. Probably because you left town and never came back. But now you are not only back but also have married Nisha. She or he is targeting whomever you are getting close to.
Manav gives a completely baffled look: But why? I mean, I don’t have..I mean no one as far as I remember was ever that obsessed with me. Not then. Not now.
Rohan: You sure?
Manav huffs out a small laugh: Yeah.
Rohan thinks for a minute: I know it was 10-12 years back but still..please think. I need more evidence of course. Idea and thought are far fetched but I want to persue this angle and see what happens. Waise aap ki aur Aditi ki engagement..was it love or a business deal kind of a thing?
Manav sighs: Chalo. We will sit at that tea shop and talk.
Both make their way to the tea stall close by and Manav tries to bring some order to his thoughts: It was not a business deal. She was my junior by 3 years in school and college. Very smart and ambitious. She wanted to do Marketing in MBA and become part of MVM. Both of us thought we would marry and build the business together. I waited until she cleared her MBA before proposing to her. Needless to say, our respective parents were jubilant over the news. I thought our lives were set and all plans were in place. And then suddenly on the day of the engagement, the news of her pregnancy popped up. I honestly had no idea that she was even seeing someone..Armaan and that both of them were..that he was the father of the child until he himself told me AFTER she got killed.
Rohan: And where was he when this happened? Was he questioned?
Manav grits his teeth: He was at some conference in Delhi so he was officially cleared. And last night he was not invited to the party.
Rohan remains silent as his mind continues to work in various directions. Finally, he puts the tea glass aside: Manavji, I agree that right now there are just too many dots and we don’t know which dot connects to which one. But these 2 incidents right one after the other..(He shakes his head) We can’t afford to think that it’s just a coincidence. I don’t believe in that kind of a coincidence.
Manav nods: You have a plan in mind?
Rohan nods and gets up: Yes. I am going to reopen Aditi’s case again.