Tu Hi Tu

adeswal
Pro Member

Re: Tu Hi Tu

Post by adeswal »

Chapter 13
Manav has absolutely no knowledge of how he came down the stairs and barged into the kitchen. He only knew that he heard Nisha scream and the next thing he realizes he is in the kitchen with both his arms wrapped tightly around Nisha’s shivering body: shshhhh..kuch nahi hua. I am here Nisha. I am right here with you.
Nisha’s terrified eyes continue to stare at the other kitchen door which lead to the utility as it continues to swing slightly: Kkkoi tha..(Her trembling finger points at the door.)
Manav gives a quick look around the kitchen and the windows before pulling her away a little to look at her face: Tumne dekha usse?
Nisha nods jerkily. Her forehead is beaded with sweat: Haan. He was wearing a mask kind of a thing..
Manav pulls her away from the kitchen, grabs the water bottle on the way and makes her sit in the sofa before going and closing and bolting the kitchen door. He gives a quick look around the rest of the doors and windows before running up the stairs to get his phone. His quick strides once again bring him downstairs: Rohan! You need to come. Someone broke into our house. No. Nisha screamed and he ran off. Ok. (And cuts the call before sitting down in front of her on his hunches and taking her balled fists into his) I called Rohan. He is on his way. Lo yeh paani peelo (She gulps down almost half the bottle before taking a breather.)Tum yahi baito mein baahar dekhke aata hoon.
Nisha immediately grips his wrist: Nahi. Tum kahi nahi jaaoge. He..that guy had a knife. No.
Manav grits his teeth. Who is this bastard? Why is he after Nisha? Thank God she saw him first and surprised him by screaming. If he had seen her first!? (His whole body shudders at the thought and he gets up to start pacing) Nisha ne kissi ka kya bigaada hain? And if Rohan is right and she is being targeted because of me then..try as I might, I can’t ever think of anyone who was that obsessed with me. Nahi. Kuch toh gadbad hain..kuch aur baat hain. There is something that we are missing here .
The sound of sirens and the tyres screeching to a halt is heard a moment before his phone buzzes again. Rohan: Manavji, open the door. It’s me.
Manav rushes and opens the door. Rohan and his team of cops enter. Rohan first looks for Nisha and on spotting her, he goes to her and gets down on his hunches just like Manav did a few minutes before: Nisha..meri taraf dekho Nisha.
Nisha looks at Rohan and tries to smile: Hi
Rohan smiles: Hi. You ok? (She nods) Meine suna HK nahi hain. Toh dinner mein kya banaya?
Nisha swallows: Pasta
Rohan’s smile turns into a small grin: Wow..white one? (She nods and starts to visibly relax) Kya yaar mujhe bhi bulaliya hota! So you guys had dinner and went up right?
Nisha: Yeah. Later I was feeling thirsty so I came down.
Rohan: Did you switch on the lights on the way?
Nisha: No. I got used to the house now so I just came down.
Rohan: And you went straight into the kitchen?
Manav can’t help but appreciate the meticulous way of questioning and at the same time he observes Rohan’s fisted palms and locked jaw..the way he is holding on to his anger by a thread but making sure it doesn’t show on his face and scare Nisha.
Nisha: Yes. I went into the kitchen and opened the fridge.
Rohan: You didn’t switch on the kitchen light there either?
Nisha shakes her head: No. But the small bed lamp kind of a thing is always on. Kaka has a Bappa idol in the kitchen toh humesha woh light on karke hi rakhte hain.
Rohan: Ok. You opened the fridge and took the bottle out.
Nisha: And I was about to close the door when I saw him. He had..had that long carving knife kind of a thing in his hand. That was the first thing I saw and I screamed. He turned and ran towards the other door.
Rohan gestures Sharma to go and look in the kitchen: Did you see his face?
Nisha: No. He was wearing a mask
Rohan: Like a winter monkey cap kind of a thing?
Nisha shakes her head: Nahi..the one like..you remember that guy in school who tried to..(She quickly glances at Manav and swallows before turning back to Rohan) Remember he wore a mask?
Rohan’s face reddens in remembered anger: Yes. I remember. Can you tell if it was a male or a female?
Nisha: Male. He was tall..not very tall but the built was that of a man. No mistaking it.
Rohan pats her hand: Don’t worry. I will look into it. (Then deliberately tries to lighten the situation) Kisi ki himmat hain jo policewale ki dost par humla kare? Hmmm? (One of the policemen comes down from the stairs and shakes his head subtley indicating that there was no one up in the terrace or any of the rooms.) Tum apne kamre mein jaao aur aaraam karo. Ok?
Nisha looks at Manav: Nahi. Mein teek hoon. I just panicked for a minute that’s all. I will stay with Manav. (Rohan nods and goes in the direction of the kitchen.)
Sharma gets up from his position: Sir..this lock is broken in. I called in the team to check out for finger prints. Pehle woh chandelier ab yeh..kya horaha hain sir?
Rohan crouches in front of the door and checks out the lock: Wahi toh pata karna hain Sharma. Koi foot prints hain kya near the door or outside? (Sharma shakes his head) Its weird come to think of it. If he has indeed come to attack Nisha then why didn’t he? He had ample time before she turned saw and screamed. (He frowns some more.) And even on the day of the party, initially, Anu pulled Nisha down for the dance and Manav was on the dias and then he got a call so he got down and she got on it because she didn’t want to dance. (His mind starts running in another direction) Aur woh bus wala case. Manav was driving..
Sharma: So you are saying all these are aimed at Mr Mathur and not his wife?
Rohan: Could be. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. But I spoke to Yog uncle and as far as he knows there is no business rivalry kind of a thing either. I checked that angle. So this one is personal Sharma. Yeh jo koi bhi hain he has some personal score to settle with Manav. And if that is right then Aditi’s murder and the current attacks might not be related either. (He gets up just as Manav walks into the kitchen.)
Manav: Rohan, I don’t want to take any more chances where Nisha’s safety is concerned. So until all this is resolved, we will stay with Verma uncle in their house. That way she will always have someone with her.
Rohan nods: Achcha idea hain Manavji. Pack whatever is needed. We will leave right away. (He turns to Sharma) Sharma, go check out and see if both the cars are safe. (Sharma nods and leaves) Manavji, you need to tell her at least briefly so that she will be more careful.
Manav runs a distracted hand through his hair and nods before frowning and looking at Rohan: What was Nisha talking about? What boy? What mask?
Rohan looks away: News paper mein woh sab aane ke baad guys had started misbehaving with her..rude crude comments and a few tried to touch her..(Manav squeezes his eyes shut and smashes his fist on the kitchen counter.) One of the guys had a mask and it scared her big time. I pulled the mask away, sent Nisha home with Anu and..(He sighs) I guess it’s a good thing that guy didn’t report me. Beeti baaten hain Manavji. Dohraake koi faayda nahi hain. Lets take care of your packing first.
Manav nods before giving Rohan an impulsive hug: Thank you Rohan..thank you for being there for her when I was not..for being her true friend. (And leaves.)
Things move at a fast pace after that. Their luggage packed, both of them along with Sharma leave in Manav’s car while another cop drives Nisha’s car and follows them behind. Rohan stays back along with the rest of the team to see if the intruder had left any clues behind.
Verma Residence: Nisha’s bedroom:
Manav looks around at the feminine room with a small smile: You changed it from the last time I saw.
Nisha comes and hugs him from behind: Considering the fact that I had spiderman wall posters the last time you saw it..
Manav huffs out a small laugh and pulls her arms further around him making her completely stick to his back: Yeah I know..girls usually want flowers or barbies and doras but not you! You had to have spiderman! (Then he sighs and turns. He looks into her eyes silently for a few moments before hugging her tightly. Apne Tiger ko bachanekeliye bahut badi keemat chukaana pada tumko..hain na? I not only left you alone but when I returned, I became one of them..mujhe apni Chulbuli waapas chahiye Nisha. He forcibly brings himself to the present matter at hand.) I want to tell you something but I don’t want you to worry about it. Ok? (Nisha nods.) Rohan thinks all these attacks are deliberate. Someone is trying to harm you specifically. He and I are going to make sure that doesn’t happen. But I want you to be very careful. Ok? That is another reason I brought you here..so that you will always have someone with you. No matter how urgent or important, don’t go anywhere alone or go with someone you don’t trust your life with. Promise me.
Nisha: I promise. But why would..who would..
Manav: We don’t know anything yet. (Seeing her biting her lip and at the fear clouding her eyes, he cups her cheek.) You trust me, don’t you? (She nods without hesitation.) Then don’t worry. I won’t let anything happen to you. I swear. I told you this just so that you will be extra careful. Ok? (He pats her cheek in a deliberate attempt to lighten the atmosphere.) Chalo. Let’s get some sleep now. Its almost 3.
Nisha smiles: I guess it’s a good thing I changed the bed too. The previous one was a single one. (She gives him a small wink)
Manav gives an innocent look: That wouldn’t have been a problem at all. We anyway sleep one on top of the other na..well..almost (He blocks her mock punch with a grin..his eyes fairly devouring the twinkle in her eyes.)
The next day evening:
Manav: Aunty, ek cup chai milegi?
Nandini turns to look at her son in law with a smile: Haan beta. Abhi banaati hoon. Kya hua Manav, bahut thake hue lagrahe ho?
Manav walks into the kitchen: Kuch nahi aunty. Aaj kuch zyaada hi kaam tha. I am fine.
Nandini: And now I think you all are going out na. Anu ka bday celebration pe?
Manav rubs his forehead: Oh yeah. I almost forgot about that.
Nisha: Tum aagaye?
Manav turns at the sound of her voice: Haan buss..(The rest of his sentence gets cut off as he stares at his wife who is looking stunning in a lavender and baby pink short sleeved top and a full length dark violet skirt with a shiny black belt to go with it and her hair in a long ponytail. He clears his throat before trying to speak) Uh..where are we going?
Nisha’s excitement is too high to contain: Pub.
Nandini’s eyes take in her daughter’s joy filled face while giving the tea cup to Manav: Bahut pyaari lagrahi ho Nisha..hain na Manav?
Manav nods while his eyes take in the expectant look on Nisha’s face and he swallows down the painful groan at the mention of clubbing: Give me 10 minutes and I will get ready. Ok?
Soon after that Vishaal, Anu and Rohan come in Rohan’s scorpio and start honking from outside. With a wave at Yog and Nandini, they leave for the evening’s celebration. The pub is full of typical loud and boisterous crowd amidst blaring music and lights. All 5 of them find a corner table and settle down. Rohan and Manav go to get the drinks for everyone while Anu, Vishaal and Nisha catch up. Nisha’s eyes follow Manav and continue to gaze at his back until Anu shakes her out of her reverie: O Madam..aur log bhi hain yahaa. And its been more than a month since you guys got married. Stop giving him those besotted looks.
Nisha’s smile includes both Anu and Vishaal: It’s not that re. Its just..tu nahi samjhegi.
Vishaal: Aap ki khushi aap ka chehra hi bataraha hain Nishaji. Kuch aur kehne ki zaroorat bhi nahi hain.
adeswal
Pro Member

Post by adeswal »

Nisha: Some times words seem inadequate na.
Anu gives her a one armed hug: What you can’t express in words, you can express it with music and dance. Ek baar try karke dekh Nisha. Just let yourself go and show him AND yourself what you feel..how you feel. (Nisha looks at Manav, who is conversing with Rohan as they wait for drinks and back at the dance floor.)
Manav: You think it’s a good idea to get her here in this crowd? May be we should have gone somewhere else.
Rohan gives a quick look around: Don’t worry Manavji. My team is here with us. Then his gaze halts and with a smile, he taps Manav’s shoulder and gestures him towards the dance floor where Nisha is at the centre twirling, clapping and dancing in beat to the music. With a loud whoop and a whistle, Rohan gestures to Anu and Vishaal and they join Nisha on the dance floor. Rohan and Vishaal dance along with Anu and Nisha twisting and turning them and passing them from one to another matching to the beat of the music while Manav just stands and looks at his wife come alive on the dance floor. Her gaze meets his and her feet take wings in his direction as the rest of the world falls away. She catches his arm and pulls him on to the dance floor with her eyes locked on to his and he follows her as if mesmerized. The rest of the dancers move away to give her more space and she circles around him with arms held high until he suddenly turns catching her by the waist and pulling her plush against his body. Her smile turns brighter than before as she runs her palm from the back of his head to his neck to his shoulder before sliding it along his arm and joining her palm to his. They dance with each other, for each other..lost in each other as the beat of the music takes over them. When the song draws to a close, she arches her back and he pulls her up before twirling her and lifting her up in his arms and turning once along with her. Anu’s whistle this time beats that of Rohan’s a few minutes back. It’s a little after midnight by the time Rohan drops Manav and Nisha back at Verma residence: Manavji, are you sure you don’t want me to send a driver? Trust me, I have handpicked that guy.
Nisha looks at Manav: May be we should..
Manav shakes his head: Nahi Rohan. I will take care of it. Don’t worry. (He gives a tired sigh) Chalo goodnight. Am off to bed. I think you also should go and get some sleep.
Rohan smiles: Abhi kahaa Manavji..I still have some work to do. We caught one guy yesterday in another case. Abhi uska interrogation chalraha hain. I am headed out there now. Goodnight.
Nisha also waves him a goodnight. CS opens the door for them with sleep blurry eyes and both of them quietly make their way to their room where Manav practicalls falls on the bed face down: I am done.
Nisha crawls beside him and slides her hand inside his t shirt: Abhi kahaa? Abhi mujhe aur kaam hain tum se. If you sleep I am going to be very disappointed.
Manav doesn’t move his head but squints his eyes open with difficulty: You got to be kidding me. Forget it.
She quickly masks her disappointment with a smile and kisses his lips softly but realizes he really is down for the night. Poor guy! He had looked so tired in the evening yet came to the party just to make her happy. She ruffles his hair, kisses him once again before getting up to change.
The next 4 days pass uneventfully for both of them. Work pressure at VM increases for Manav and Nisha starts getting concerned as he continues to insist on dropping and picking her up irrespective of the hour and day. Twice she and Rohan suggest getting a cop as a driver and twice he refuses. She puts down his irritability and snapping temper to the increased work load and the discomfort of staying at his in-laws place. She fails to notice the way his alert eyes follow her and Rohan whenever he came home to discuss the break in case and stayed on to chat some general mutually favourite topics with her. She fails to realize that try as he might, he is not able get the disappointed look she had that night on her face from his mind. His silent struggle with himself finds relief only in her arms turning the nights more aggressive. She meets his aggression with her own passion and tries to soothe him out of his restlessness with her lips and body. On the 5th consecutive day as she observes him once again getting ready early to drop her at CGH, she softly inserts: Manav..I think we should take up on Rohan’s offer of the driver. Tum aise roz roz..
Her sentence gets cuts off as he throws the hair brush on the table and the car keys on the bed and snaps out: You know what? I think you are right. Your husband is 40 years old. Not strong enough to keep up. He does not have the energy of a 27 yr old strong young man. So please..go ahead and tell Rohan to send the driver. (He leaves the room but comes right back after a moment and snatches back the keys before looking at the stunned Nisha.) But for now, you have no choice. I won’t allow you to go alone. So even if it is tiring out my old bones, I am going to drop you now. Chale?
Nisha finally finds her voice: Par meine toh sirf..
Manav: Are you coming or not? Mujhe office bhi jaana hain. (Without giving her further chance to respond, he leaves the room.)
Is that what he thinks? Is that why he has been disturbed the last few days? Is the age factor playing so much in his mind? (Nisha’s mind goes back to all the events in the last one week and she starts looking at things in a new light.) He thinks he is too old for me. 27 yr old strong young man? He is comparing himself to Rohan? Doesn’t he know yet that for me, there is only him?how do I tell him? She quickly picks up her bag and goes out.
VM Industries: Manav’s cabin:
Manav calls Rohan as soon as he reaches: Rohan? You have a minute?
Rohan: Ji kahiye. Good morning
Manav: Good morning. That offer for the driver is still on?
Rohan smiles: Of course. I will send him right away. Nisha is at CGH?
Manav: Yes. I just dropped her.
Rohan: Ok. I am going that way anyway. So I will take the guy and introduce him. that way..
Manav nods: She will know that she can see who it is. Thanks Rohan.
Rohan: Not a problem. See you.
Manav: Bye (He cuts the call and sighs. The rest of the day passes without incident. Yog and Manav share the car on their way back home that night with Manav in the driver seat and Yog sitting beside him.)
Manav: Uncle, ek baat poochu?
Yog: Haan poocho.
Manav: Why didn’t you get Nisha married before? I mean I understand the talk was bad but surely it would have died down slowly and had you searched, you would have found someone, right? May be someone not from Ahmedabad, a good guy who is closer to her age..why?
Yog looks out of the window in silence for a few moments: Woh maane tab na Manav. Kissi aur se shaadi karna toh door ki baat thi woh toh kissi aur ke baare mein sochti bhi nahi thi. Kasam diya tha usne hum dono ko ki uske shaadi ki baat kabhi nahi chedenge. I guess that was the day that I finally accepted that my daughter is the kind who can love only once and you were that one for her. (Then he gives Manav a slightly quizzical look) Par yeh sab ab kyon poochrahe ho?
Manav tries to swallow the lump in his throat and replies: Nahi..kuch nahi..buss aise hi.
Does the age gap really matter so much? Let me be frank with myself here. I was jealous..more than jealous, I was insecure. Whenever I saw her with Rohan, all I could see was that he was there when I was not..he literally placed himself between her and harm.. He was probably better suited to her than he himself every would be..closer to her age, similar tastes and preferences, no past hang ups..and he never hurt her. (Then he remembers something that she told him a few days back. “Aur agar mein kabhi waapas nahi aata toh?” “Toh mein zindagi bhar aap ka intezaar karti.”) I guess there is a difference between knowing and completely believing. And if SHE thinks I am good enough for her..if her PARENTS think I am the one for her, why should I question it? (The car reaches home.)
That night: Nisha’s bedroom:
She throws the bag on the table and plops down on the bed with a tired sigh. Manav comes out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his waist: Hi.
Nisha: Hi. Rohan said you called and asked for the driver.
Manav nods: Haan. (Then frowns.) He came to pick you up, right?
Nisha: Yeah. Rohan came and introduced me and all that.
Manav starts rubbing his hair with another towel: I felt that was more practical. Kal se naya campaign shuru honewaala hain. I probably won’t be able to adjust my timings with yours. (He sits beside her on the bed.) Tired?
Nisha puts her head on his shoulder and cuddles closer to him: Hmmm..poocho mat. Had to monitor 3 surgeries and a full OPD aur jab baahar niklne waali thi toh 2 accident cases.
Manav starts rubbing her shoulders and neck: What do you normally do to relax then? When the days are hectic or bad..(He shrugs.) Go on a run..cycling..talking to friends kuch toh hota hoga na.
Nisha nods: Cycling aur uske baad music. (Then she looks up at him. Here is the opening that she has been waiting for since morning and she takes it up.) But you know the best way that always worked for me? (He gives her a questioning look. She hesitates for a second before going to her wardrobe and pulling out his t shirt that she had always treasured with her. She rubs her cheek to it..an almost instinctive gesture before passing it on to him.) Yeh shirt tumhe yaad hain?
Manav frowns and turns it this way and that before realization dawns on him: This is mine? This is mine! How did you..when did you..holi!
She nods and takes the shirt back from him: Hmmm..whenever things got bad over the years, I used to put this on. It was almost like you were hugging me. I used to forget everything then. (Her eyes fill up and a lone tear rolls down her cheek.) Even when uncle and aunty passed away, I wanted to come to you but..(She gives an awkward shrug.) So that whole night I hugged this t shirt..I know silly but..
Manav pushes her back on the bed smothers her face and neck with kisses before locking his lips to hers. He drinks deeply from her mouth as his tears mingle with hers wetting both their faces. His breath shudders out of his chest: Nahi..nahi Nisha. It was not silly. A couple of my colleagues from Mumbai had come, uncle and aunty were there but..I felt so alone. Uss din Tiger Chulbuli ke bina bahut akela padgaya tha re.
Nisha cups his face with trembling hands. Her eyes hold both pain and joy: I missed you too Tiger. (Both of them laugh and cry and hug and roll on the bed.)
Manav finally sits up and wipes his eyes with the back of his hand before laughing softly: Lagta hain hum dono kuch zyada hi senti hogaye. (He pulls her up into a sitting position.) Go and freshen up. (Seeing her fiddling with the t shirt.) Kya hua?
Nisha: I have a photograph of yours and mine..(She inserts hastily.) Uss raat waale nahi..(Seeing him patiently waiting for her to continue, she gets up and brings a book and extends to him.) It was actually a group photograph but..(He sees the photograph of just the two of them with the rest of the group been cut off. His face splits into a grin as he sees her young chubby face with short bob hair making faces at the camera and leaning towards him. He gives it back to her.) Isse sambhalke rakhna. Or better yet, give it to me and I will make a soft copy of it. I will show it to our kids one day and tell them stories of how naughty their mom used to be.
Nisha blinks before her entire face lights up and turns pink: Kids?
Manav: Yeah..you don’t want kids?
Goosebumps raise all over her at the mere thought: But..but..I thought..I mean..you use..
Manav gets up and starts getting dressed in a t shirt and track pants: I didn’t want to involve a kid with so many unresolved issues surrounding us..(He shrugs.) So what do you say? You want kids? (She starts nodding repeatedly even before he could complete his sentence making him raise his eyebrow.) Now? (Her smile turns a little shy as she looks away from him.) Ek kaam karte hain. Lets get past all this and in a few months things will also pick up at VM and then we will talk about it. Ok? (She nods happily and with a joyous screech pounces on him with arms wrapped tight around his neck and legs around his waist. The dinner that night got delayed but neither cared.)
Next day morning: CGH: Sruti’s cabin:
Sruti’s cell phone pings on an incoming sms: Reached Ahmedabad Just now. On my way home. – Armaan.
She quickly types her reply: Ok. I need to talk to you about something important. Will come by your house this evening..say 6?
Reply is almost immediate: Sure. Will be waiting.
Sruti sighs and puts the phone away. After her talk with Abhi, she wanted to go straight to Armaan and ask him what all that was about but her work load didn’t permit that day and the next day morning he had to attend a VIP surgery in Delhi and had left the next day. The child had developed some complications and his two day trip got extended to 5 days. Finally he is back and she is going to go and have that talk. There is a soft knock on the door and after her “come in”, Rohan enters: Hello Ma’am.
Sruti smiles: Hello. Have a seat. You were asking me about some 10 yr old case, right?
Rohan extends a file: Yes. I finally could get the case file from Metro Hospital. I just want you to look into it and see if you remember anything about her..anything significant.
Sruti reads the first page and looks up with a frown: Aditi Malhotra. This is the same girl who was murdered, right? (Rohan nods.) I remember that because she had an appointment for an MTP..abortion and she didn’t turn up. when the police questioned me, that’s when I came to know that she was killed the previous night.
Rohan leans forward: Yes, it was in the report that she was to have an abortion. Did you interact much with her? Can you recall any of your conversations?
Sruti thinks back and shakes her head: No. She was unmarried and pregnant. I understood and didn’t question her much although I did advice her that she needs to be careful. (She leans back in her chair and fiddles with her pen.) But I did find one thing unusual. She was hell bent on getting the MTP but the baby’s father wanted the child. He came with her and kept pleading and arguing with her to think one more time and all that. It stuck in my mind because its usually the other way around in these cases..you know..women want the child but men don’t..
Rohan nods: So Dr Armaan was with Aditi when she came for the check up?
Sruti gets totally confused: Dr Armaan? Why would Dr Armaan be with Aditi?
Rohan frowns: But you just said the baby’s father was with her.. (She nods still confused.) Dr Armaan was the baby’s father. (It comes out like a part statement and part question.)
Sruti’s mouth drops open: What?
adeswal
Pro Member

Post by adeswal »

Chapter 14
Rohan nods with a frown: Yeah. That’s what he said in his statement to the police all those years ago.
Sruti shakes her head as if to clear it: ARMAAN was the father? But the guy I met was some body else Mr. Rohan.
Rohan leans forward: Kya? Aap poora yakeen ke saath yeh kehsakti hain?
Sruti nods still dazed and confused but sure: Of course. I have known Armaan for the past 6-7 years and he is most definitely NOT the guy who came along with Aditi Malhotra.
Rohan: Can you tell me his name? Yaad karne ki koshish keejiye please?
Sruti: No. I can’t remember the name. I don’t even think he explicitly introduced himself..when he started trying to convince her, she just gave me an awkward smile and said that he was the baby’s father. That’s all. (Her face is still a mixture of shock and confusion.) But I don’t understand. Why did Dr Armaan say..
Rohan sighs in apparent frustration: I don’t know Dr Sruti. This tangle is just getting worse. Did you tell this to the police then?
Sruti nods: I asked them if they had spoken to the father of the baby and they said yes and that he was on clear because he was out of town that night. I didn’t ask further and they didn’t expand.
Rohan taps his fingers on the table before looking up: Dr Sruti, if I get some snaps or something of that kind, would you be able to pick the guy?
Sruti: I can try. I will definitely try but its 10 years old and the image I have of that guy is quite hazy.
Rohan gets up: Ok. I will see what I can do. thank you. Phir milte hain.
Sruti picks up the intercom phone and cancels all her appoitments for the day and leaves to Armaan’s house. This issue is not going to wait till evening. Within 15 minutes, she reaches Armaan’s residence and rings the bell.
Armaan opens the door: Sruti? Aao andar aao. You said you would be coming in this evening na.
Sruti: Yes. But I could not wait till the evening. Armaan, I think its time we talked. I mean really talked. No beating around the bush and no monosyllabal answers. (Armaan sighs and nods before gesturing her to have a seat.) Armaan..Aditi kaun hain? And if you and Manav Mathur were friends once, why aren’t you now?
Armaan closes his eyes and shakes his head: I wanted to tell you..I honestly did. But..
Sruti takes his hand in hers: Then talk now. I am listening. Aur itne saalon ka saath aur dosti ke baad tumhe itna vishwaas toh hogayahoga na ki I am not a judgemental kind of a person? (Armaan looks into her appealing wide brown eyes and nods.) Toh batao aisa kya hua jo tumhe itne saalon se andar hi andar khaaye jaaraha hain?
Armaan: Manav and I were friends since school days. (His lips stretch into a reluctant smile as a memory teases him.) When we were in school, our friends used to sing “Mere do anmol ratan ek hain Raam toh ek Lakhan.” When we walked by. Abhi and I used to fight over everything all the time and Manav used to come as a peacemaker. Our parents knew that if one of us was not at home, that means we were with each other. Then we lost our mother to cancer. I honestly don’t know how I would have coped had it not been for Manav. Uss sadme se baahar aaya hi nahi tha ki 3 weeks later my dad got killed in a freak automobile accident. (He lowers his head and grips his hair with both hands.) God! Sometimes I still see myself standing in the corridor of CGH as I saw my dad being wheeled in all bloodied and lifeless.
Sruti puts her hand on his shoulder: I am sorry. I never knew their deaths were so close. Where was Abhi then?
Armaan: He was doing his M.L. He had just gone back to the hostel after mom’s death.
Sruti: Aur..Manav? Manav tumhaare saath tha?
Armaan nods: He was my rock during that time. Never moved from my side..used to stay at my house as much as he could. And I betrayed him in the worst possible way. (Sruti remains silent and waits for him to continue.)
Abhi parks his car and gets down. Srutiji ka car yahaa? (He smiles.) May be I should back off and give them both some time. Khaamakha beech mein jaake kabab mein haddi kyon banoo? I will just collect my file, say hello and come off. He tiptoes to the main door and opens it slowly and soundlessly to peek inside. What meets his eye wipes the smile off his face and he takes an involuntary step forward in concern but stops himself. Sruti is standing facing the window hence he is unable to see her expression. And his brother is sitting in the sofa completely lost and dejected: I am sorry Sruti. I am really sorry. I tried..believe me..I really did. But I just can’t seem to get past this guilt..the fact that he trusted me and I betrayed his trust. I can’t move on..can’t seem to look past that. I tried talking to him..par woh toh meri shakl se bhi nafrat karta hain..and Sruti..I can’t ask you to share my life with this guilt hanging around my neck. I love you. I really do..but..its not..it won’t be fair to you..
Abhi looks at his brother as tears gather in his eyes. Aur kitne saal bhai? Aur kitne saal tu apne aap ko isstarah sazaa dega? everyone has moved on. (He grits his teeth.) Even Manav has moved on..but you!! He backs off from the door as silently as he had come.
Sruti turns and comes to crouch in front of Armaan. She takes his hand in hers: Armaan..meri taraf dekho Armaan. whatever happened, just happened. Tumne jaan boochkar toh kuch nahi kiya na. Aur tumhi toh kehrahe ho ki tumhe kuch yaad nahi. So how can you even say that something happened? Yeh bhi toh hosakta hain na ki uss raat kuch hua hi nahi. Yeh bhi toh hosakta hain na ki Aditi ke bachche ka baap tum ho hi nahi?
Armaan can’t hide his incredulity: What? What are you saying? No. Aditi was not like that. She was..she was a nice girl.
Sruti tightens her grip on his palm: Did she come and tell you that you were the father?
Armaan: No. I was a coward. I did not..I could not face her for a lot of days after that. I could not face Manav either. And then..then..Manav came one day and told me that he and Aditi were getting engaged..I thought..I hoped..but then the news came that she was pregnant..
Sruti opens her mouth as if to say something but closes it. Nahi. Abhi nahi. Pehle poori sachchai ka pata toh chale. Armaan needs hope but not false hope. And I don’t want to raise it only to bring it crashing back down again. I will talk to the SP again. She puts her palm on his cheek: And you didn’t tell me all this until now..why? You thought I would judge and condemn you for being a human?
Armaan, for the first time leans in on another person..on the woman..on the only woman he had ever loved in his life. His arms close around her as he pulls her into a hug while tremours wrack his body. She holds him in her arms and provides the only thing that she can at that point..solace.
That evening: around 7 pm: Verma residence: Nisha’s room:
Nisha is running around the bed trying to catch Manav: Tiger..Mujhe dekhna hain..dikhaona please..woh kya hain..mere liye laaye ho na..
Manav goes off to the other end of the room with the paper wrapped rectangular box in his hand: Haan..Tere liye hi laaya hoon..tabhi toh kehrahan hoon..aake lelo na.
Nisha tries to jump and catch only to have him raise up his hand and back another step. She finally stomps her foot in frustration and folds her hands with a pout: Jaao mujhe nahi dekhna hain.
Manav comes and wraps his arms around her from behind: Nahi dekhna hain? (She shakes her head with a sulk) Sachchi mein nahi dekhna hain?
Nisha pushes his arms away: Nahi. Apna gift apne paas hi rakho.
Manav comes to stand in front of her: dekhoo toh meri Chulbuli gusse mein kaise dikhti hain..hmmm..dekhoo toh..(she whirls away from him in anger) Achcha teek hain. Yehlo
Nisha smiles and makes a move to take it from his hand only to have him change it to another hand. She turns that way and he once again shifts it to this hand. Frustrated, she starts punching his chest: TIGER! Seedha seedha dedo warna tumse baat nahi karoongi.
Manav raises his eyebrow: Uh huh..for how many seconds? 2 or 3? (Nisha stops hitting him and flaunts off to go and sit on the bed. He comes and sits beside her only to have her move away a little. He moves closer again with a perfectly straight face and she growls and moves away again. Before she could move away again, he holds her hand and puts the box in it and grins at the enthusiasm with which she tears off the paper. She comes to a complete stand still as she sees whats inside. It’s a beautiful photo frame..similar to the ones that hang over the wall in their house..but this one held a digital mastered photograph of both of them with his arm around her taken during the Manali trip on the right side and on the left side is the one that Nisha had showed him the other day. The total effect is endearing..both of them together then and now..yet in a totally different way. His voice softly inserts from beside her) This one will look beside those two photographs in our hall na.
Nisha nods and her tremulous smile quickly turns into a huge grin as she hugs the photo frame tightly to herself and bounces on the bed nodding at the same time bringing out amused chuckles from him. She looks at his laughing face for a few moments before carefully putting the frame on the table beside the bed and climbing on him until she is sitting astride on his lap, leans forward and gives a smacking kiss on his lips: Thank you Tiger. I love it.
Before he could say anything, his phone rings and he picks it up still with one arm wrapped around her: Hello?
Abhi: Manav..This is Abhimanyu.
Manav’s smile vanishes but he remains cordial: Hello Abhi.
Abhi: Manav, the bank has forward your loan papers for some verification. Can you pass on the property documents stated in them?
Manav frowns: Uh..ok. Sure. The papers are at my house right now. I am at Nisha’s place. So just give me half an hour and I will go and collect the papers. I can send them across to you first thing tomorrow morning, right?
Abhi: Yeah..any time before 9 am is fine.
Manav: Ok. Thank you Abhi.
Abhi: Not a problem. Bye.
Manav cuts the call and looks at Nisha’s enquiring face: I need to go to our house to get some papers.
Nisha frowns: Now?
Manav nods: Kal subah ki bhaag daud mein time nahi milega Chulbuli..I will just go and get them now.
Nisha doesn’t move from her position on top of him: Raat honeko aayi hain. No. Go tomorrow morning. I will wake you up early.
Manav tweaks her nose: YOU will wake ME up?
Nisha scowls: Haan toh alarm rakhke utke tumhe uta doongi na.
Manav sighs: Uto. Mujhe jaana hain. Buss yu gaya aur yu aaya.
Nisha: You don’t allow me to go out alone. Now why are you going? Aur woh bhi raat ko! Nahi (She realizes she is sounding actually petulant but she doesn’t care. Something about him going out now is not sounding good to her.)
Manav: Zidd mat karo Nisha..
Nisha: Toh mein bhi chalti hoon tumhaare ke saath. I don’t want you to go alone.
Manav: Nisha..(He pushes back her hair that has fallen over her forehead.) Its not safe buddy. I don’t want to take any chances where you are concerned. Achcha teek hain..I will get your kulfi icecream on my way back ok?
He rolls her on the bed, kisses her within an inch of her life before getting up to change his shirt. She comes behind him and helps him remove his shirt. But before he could pull out a fresh one from inside, he feels the touch of her lips on his bare back. They start at one shoulder and travel down to his waist and lower back before coming back up on the other side and ending it at the other shoulder. Her hands, unwilling to be idle, start tracing delicate patterns over his abdomen and chest. His breath hitches and his pulse rockets up at the feel of her fingers over his flat nipples. His thought process comes to a shuddering halt as she moves under his arm without her lips leaving his body until she is standing in front of him. Her lips replace her fingers and with a rough groan, he digs his fingers in her hair as if unable to decide whether to tell her to stop or beg her to continue. Her palms make a path over his back before coming forward to slowly touch and grip his hardness. His growl of “Nisha..” goes unheaded as she continues to pay homage to him which soon has him leaning against the wardrobe cabinets because there is no way in hell that his legs are going to support this onslaught of hers. She locks her eyes with his as she completes undressing him and continues to look at him as she kneels in front of him. His eyes flare up as he realises her intention. His thumb rubs her lower lips as he manages to blurt out: You sure? Her softly uttered “Please” smashes all his defences and he surrenders himself to her as she takes him heaven.
Next day morning:
Manav continues to speak on the phone while getting dressed for work: Yes. I want those papers ready. And did you email the customer explaining the delay?..Why? (Steel enters his voice) No Bhavna. It is NOT his responsibility. It is YOURS. Whoever makes the mess gets to clean it up themselves..(He cuts in when the person on the other end starts saying something.) I don’t care what your job description says. There is such a thing called basic people skills and at the level you are in, I expect you to have them. (He collects his wallet and keys before making his way out of the room with a distracted wave to Nisha.)
Just as he is at the main door after shaking his head at kaka when asked for breakfast, Nisha calls him from behind: Manav? (He turns to find her walking gracefully towards him with his jacket in her hand. Wordlessly she helps him don it on, picks up a couple of bananas from the fruit bowl on the dining table and puts them in his bagpack along with his laptop. He thanks her with a soft pat on her cheek and a smile, gestures HK to make sure she eats, before going out, his mind already back with whoever he is talking over the phone and his face a tight mask of anger and impatience.) You owe it not only to the customer but also to your team Bhavna so move on with it.
She waits until he backs his car out of the gate before turning towards HK and her mom with a smile: Good morning mom. Good morning kaka. Breakfast mein kya hain?
Nandini: Tera favourite. Aa bait beta. (She puts her hand on Nisha’s head.) Rohan ka kuch phone aaya? Woh intruder kaun tha kuch pata chala?
Nisha: Nahi ma. He is still looking into it. Manav said he will talk to him again today.
Nandini: Chalo issi bahaane beti aur damaad thode din humaare saath rahenge. Manav is comfortable here, right?
Nisha nods: Yes mom. Don’t worry. But once Rohan gives his ok, we will go back to our home. Kaka was there yesterday evening to clean up the house and water the plants. So..
Nandini smiles and nods. Soon Yograj joins them and everyone have their breakfast before Nisha and Yog leave for their work.
Rohan’s jeep screeches to a halt in front of Manav’s residence and he fairly leaps out of it: Manavji..what happened?
Manav, who is sitting on the front porch steps talking to someone over the phone, cuts the call abruptly and gets up: Hi Rohan..another break in..I think last night. The window pane in the study room is broken and the papers are scattered all over.
Rohan’s gaze sharpens: How do you know it was last night? Were you here?
Manav: No. Yesterday evening HK was here to clean up and all. Tab toh sab kuch teek tha. (He runs a distracted hand through his hair) Rohan..I think our initial theory is wrong. Whoever it is, I think, is after ME not Nisha.
Rohan nods: I had the same doubt the night Nisha saw the intruder in your house. If he wanted to harm her, he would have done so before she screemed.
Manav nods: And I was supposed to come here last night.
Rohan frowns: Why? (Manav explains Abhi’s call and the request for property papers and Rohan’s frown deepens. Why would ABHIMANYU want the property papers? He is a criminal lawyer na..why would he deal with.. Rohan looks up.) Did anyone know that you were coming here to collect the papers?
Manav: No. Abhi asked for papers and I said I will collect them right away and send them across first thing in the morning. But I couldn’t come so came in early today..so..someone knew that I was going to be here and was waiting for me! (Rohan nods..his mind working in various directions. The bus incident..a criminal lawyer could collect some favours or know whom to hire for such a job..the chandelier..lack of finger prints or any kind of evidence at all the crime scenes..what if..what if its ABHIMANYU who has a score to settle with Manav? ) Rohan? I want to suggest something. (Rohan nods as if to say go ahead) How about we give this guy a chance to get to me..I can make sure I am alone at some point and..
Rohan: You want to set yourself as a bait Manavji? (Manav nods.) Aap jaante hain na some times, the animal manages to get the bait without getting caught? High risk and at this point we don’t know what is it that’s triggering this guy.
Manav smiles: Tum ho na. And frankly, I don’t see any other option.
Rohan: Let me think on this some more and I will call you. Lekin jab tak mein na kahoo aap kuch mat keejiye. (He smiles a little.) Nisha will kill me if she comes to know about this.
Manav also smiles: Then don’t tell her. (A slight pause and then) I was supposed to come here last night. Lekin usne mujhe jaane nahi diya. She kept saying she has a bad feeling about it..
Rohan: Never discount intuition Manavji..especially a woman’s. Did you take the papers that you need? (Manav nods) Toh chaliye. I will follow you in my jeep till your office.
Same day evening around 3 pm: At CGH: Sruti’s cabin:
Sruti looks up at Manav: Please don’t worry Mr Manav. Dr Palash is one of the best. She is a specialist in female reproductive cancer, who has recently moved here from US. And we will take all precautions for Menakaji before, during and after the surgery. Uske baad chemotherapy hoga aur uske baad regular complete physical check up every 2-3 months for the first two years followed by every 6 months for 3 years and then annually from there on.
Manav: But this cancer..its just in the ovaries, right? It has not spread anywhere else?
Sruti: Abhi tak toh nahi. We did a complete CT of chest, abdomen and pelvic area and we also did a chest x ray. So let’s hope for the best.
Manav nods: When is the surgery? I mean..what time?
Sruti: Tomorrow around 11 am.
Manav nods and gets up: I will try to be here. aap..aap rahengi na Menakaji ke saath..OT mein?
Sruti nods: Yes. I will be there. (She smiles.) It’s good to see someone so concerned about their employee.
Manav: She has been with the company almost all her life Srutiji..taught me a lot when I was raw and fresh out of college..(He shrugs and leaves it at that before making a move to leave.)
Sruti thinks for a moment before speaking: Ek baat kahoo aapse? (Manav nods.) I probably don’t have any right to say this but..I think you should hear Armaan’s side of the story before passing judgement on him. (Manav looks away and remains silent but Sruti gets a glimpse of his pain, anger and hurt in his eyes before they frost over.) I know it was not a small triffle that we are talking about here but..Manavji..don’t you think you should at least listen to what he has to say? What if you come to know that he actually might not have done anything? (He takes his leave from her without a word, leaves a note in Nisha’s cabin that he had come by since she is in the OT and makes his way out, with Sruti’s words still playing in his mind. What if you come to know that he actually might not have done anything.. )
Around the same time: Armaan’s residence:
Armaan opens the door: Hello Rohan. please..come in.
Rohan: I went by CGH and they said you were on leave today.
Armaan nods: Aaj mere ma ki barsi hain toh..(Just then Abhi also walks into the room.)
Rohan nods a hello to Abhi before turning back to Armaan: I can come back tomorrow if it’s not a good time sir.
Armaan: No no. nothing like that. Both of us just spend some time together today. We used to fight like cats and dogs when we were younger and mom always used to worry about us..(He gives a small smile.) Anyway, tell me..whats it about?
Rohan: We think that the attacks on Nisha were actually meant for Manav..she just got in the way. We think HE is the main target. (Rohan takes in the total shock on Armaan’s face along with a slight stiffening of Abhi’s body. But he doesn’t shift his eyes from Armaan giving out the impression that whatever he has to say, is only for him.) There have been a couple of break ins at his home recently.
Armaan: Kuch pata chala kaun hain? Is it some kind of business rivalry?
Rohan leans back in the single seat sofa: Investigation jaari hain. I asked Manav if he suspects anyone. (He gives a slight pause before striking.) He said he can’t think of anyone other than YOU Dr Armaan.
Both Armaan and Abhi get up. Armaan is stunned: ME?
Abhi shouts: WHAT THE HELL! HOW DARE HE!
Rohan also gets up: Please calm down. We don’t have any proof but I just wanted to ask you if you want to say something at this point of time. (Abhi opens his mouth but Rohan raises his hand asking him to be quiet without taking his eyes off Armaan’s pale face.) Mein sirf Armaan se baat kar raha hoon. (If looks could kill, Rohan is sure he would have turned to ashes by now from the way Abhi is looking at him.)
Armaan fairly staggers back under the blow of that statement: Manav..Manav said I would try to KILL HIM? (He looks up to see Rohan’s nod. his eyes fill up before he sternly controls himself) No Rohan. I do not want to say anything at this point of time.
Rohan nods and comes out of the house before making a fake call: Haan Anu..yes I remember and yes, I will be there. I spoke to Nisha and she will be at your house by 5 with uncle and aunty. Manavji..I don’t think so. Nisha batarahi thi ki unhe kuch client call kuch hain. He will probably stay back home. Arre chodna yaar..hum sab hain na tere saath. Chal mein abhi duty mein hoon. We will talk later.
He cuts the calls and starts his jeep and drives a couple of streets away from Armaan’s house before stopping and making a call: Sharma..I want you to do two things. One..keep an eye on both Armaan and Abhimanyu. I want to know every movement of theirs from this minute on. And two..make sure at least two of you are always around Manav. No matter where he is. Got that? (He cuts the call and makes another one.) Manavji..aap kahaa hain?
Manav: Office mein. I just got back from CGH. one of our employees is admitted there. Why?
Rohan: Nisha ne bataya hain ki aaj shaam ko sab log Anu ke yahaa jaarahe hain. Vishaal’s parents are going to come over and all that.
Manav: Yeah. Nisha is pretty excited about it. Currently I am trying my best to avoid going along. I mean..mein kissi ko teek se jaanta bhi nahi. Are you going?
Rohan: No. And I want you also not to go. Stay back at home Manavji.
Manav frowns: Why?
Rohan smiles: Since you so kindly offered yourself as a bait, I have decided to take you up on that. I have set the plan in motion. Now let’s see if it works. Make sure everyone is out of the house. HK aur CS ko bhi koi kaam se baahar bhejdeejiye. And give me a missed call once you are alone.
Manav: Ok. You really think this will work?
Rohan: Dekhte hain. Let’s hope so. And don’t worry. We will be watching you and the house. Trust me Manavji..koi aap ko choo bhi nahi paayega.
Manav grins: As you say SP saab. Par aap fikr mat keejiye. Baat Nisha ki hoti toh it would have been different. I probably would have killed you for even thinking of something like this. But I can take care of myself.
Rohan looks out at the passing traffic: Jaanta hoon. Chaliye..Good luck.
Manav: Good luck to you too.
adeswal
Pro Member

Post by adeswal »

Chapter 15
That evening: Nisha’s bedroom:
Nisha glares at Manav: Toh tum nahi aaoge!
Manav sighs: Chulbuli..I have work to do. Aur mein wahaa aake kya karoonga? I don’t know anyone there.
Nisha pouts: But I wanted to stand beside you and proudly introduce you as my husband. “Namaste. Mein Nisha Mathur..Anu ki dost aur yeh mere pati Manav Mathur.”
Manav laughs softly before pulling her close to him until she is standing in front of him and he is sitting on the bed. He puts his arms around her waist and nuzzles his face in her tummy: And if they say “Aapne iss budde se shaadi kyon ki?” Toh?
She pushes him away from her and growls out: I will tell them “Budda hoga tera baap” (Manav roars out his laughter.) Haso mat. I will really give them that reply.
Manav looks at her face: Hasu nahi toh aur kya karoo? Chalo ab zidd chodo aur jaldi se taiyar hojao..jao. (Seeing that she is about to stomp her foot and get more stubborn, he pulls her close, cups her cheeks and gives her a soft loving kiss on her lips) Please? Abhi toh bahut saare chances honge mujhe introduce karne keliye..hain na..Anu ki sagai, mehendi, sangeet, shaadi..
Nisha gets her smile back at that thought and her face lights up once again: Haan. But you should not skip any of those..ok?
Manav sighs in relief and nods: I promise. Ab jaao. (She grins and takes out her sari to get dressed.) Nisha..(She turns with a questioning look.) Kuch nahi..buss..apna khayaal rakhna ok? I want you to smile, laugh and enjoy yourself.
Nisha nods but her frown does not disappear: You will be working from home only, right? (Manav nods but senses her sudden unease..woman’s intuition indeed!) And you won’t go out alone? (He nods again and before she could add anything else, Nandini calls out to her asking her if she is ready and with a quick reply of “Almost done ma.” She runs off into the bathroom and Manav sighs in relief.)
30 minutes later Manav calls Rohan and informs him that everyone is out of the house except him. Rohan instructs him to close all the main doors, front and back and leave only the front main window open so that they can keep an eye on him and for him to stay in the hall itself. After about 15 minutes, Armaan parks his car beside the gate and gets down. Sharma turns towards Rohan: Sir..shall I close in?
Rohan shakes his head: Nahi Sharma. He would not go to the front door and knock if he wants to attack Manav na..but see..thats what he is doing. Lets wait and watch for now. Tell Vinod not to move his eyes from the back entrance. (Sharma nods and passes on the message.)
Manav frowns at the sound of the door bell and goes to open it only to stop dead and stare at Armaan who just stares back at him with his arms folded. For the first time Manav does not find guilt in his eyes. All he sees is deep pain and burning anger. Both of them just look at each other from either side of the open door. Finally Armaan breaks the silence: I am going to talk and you are going to listen. The only choice you are going to have is the place. You want me to come inside or do you want to stand here or do we go out somewhere. Decide Manav. (Manav takes a silent step back and opens the door wider) Thank you. (Manav closes the door and gestures Armaan to take a seat before seating himself in the opposite chair. Both of them remain silent. Armaan gathering his thoughts and Manav finally waiting to hear what he has to say) You banned me, my voice and my face for 10 years. Mein chup rahaa. You came back but refused to even look at me. Mein chup rahaa. You outright accused me of having dirty thoughts about your wife. Tab bhi mein chup rahaa. Jaante ho kyon? Kyon ki agar tumhaari jagah pe mein hota toh mein BHI shaayad WAHI karta. Lekin aaj tumne jo kahaa..jo kiya..mera sabr toot gaya hain Manav. Mein jaanta hoon ki jo meine kiya woh shaayad maafi ke laayak nahi but to think that I would plan and plot to KILL you..YOU!!
Manav by now looks completely taken aback: WHAT?
But Armaan once started, he does not stop: Since childhood, you were more than my friend. You were my brother. You were my anchor when I lost my parents. Par jiss din papa uss accident mein guzar gaye..mein toot gaya tha. Kuch samajh mein nahi aaraha tha ki mein kya horaha hain. It was too sudden..too unexpected. After the cremation, you wanted to stay with me in my house. You didn’t want me to be alone that night. You knew I was not close to Abhi and would not share my pain with him. But that night I could not share my pain with you either. So I told you to go. I told you that I wanted to be alone. And I could feel your reluctance in every step that you took away from me. (He swallows and fixes his gaze at one of the painting hanging on the wall although his thoughts are miles and years away.) I gave a sleeping pill to Abhi and told him to sleep. Then I got drunk. Rip roaring drunk. I wanted to forget..forget that now I neither had my mom nor my dad with me. That’s when Aditi had come. She got dinner for me and Abhi..she forced me to eat a few bites..that broke something in me..and I cried. I cried for the first time after my mom passed away..after I saw my dad bloodied and lifeless on the stretcher. She hugged me and let me get everything out. I remember begging her not to go..not to leave me alone..(He closes his eyes) I remember..hugging her. Next thing I know..its morning and I was in my bed with my clothes scattered all around. (There is just silence in the room..pin drop silence. Armaan as if unable to bear that silence gets up and starts pacing.) I don’t remember what I did..I did not know what happened..I was too ashamed to face you or Aditi. I wanted to ask her what happened..but how does one ask something like that? I kept quiet and hoped and prayed and avoided everyone and everything. Then a few weeks later you came and told me about your engagement to Aditi. I felt..I don’t know..relieved. I thought if she is going ahead with it that means probably nothing happened that night. (His pacing comes to a stop and he squeezes his eyes shut.) Then the news about her pregnancy came out and..(He whispers out) I wanted to die. (Manav rubs his face with his palms while his mind paints pictures what could have happened that night. He remembers his own state of mind soon after his parents had passed away..his friendship with the bottle the first few weeks..the hazy wild nights and the dazed days. Armaan and Aditi didn’t backstab me. They did not have an affair behind my back. So many years..so much pain..so much anger..could I have avoided all that if I had not been so judgemental? I condemned him for being human while I stood on some moral high ground which I don’t have the right to stand in the first place! Armaan opens his eyes to the feel of Manav’s hand on his shoulder. He turns to face him with tear filled eyes..only he sees Manav’s eyes also gleaming and wet. The next moment both of them hug each other tightly for the first time in over a decade.) Manav..mujhe maaf karde yaar. (Manav tightens his hug before pulling away and wiping his own eyes with the back of his hand) Manav..(Manav looks at Armaan) You really think I would try to kill you?
Manav frowns as he remembers how the whole conversation started: Yeh kya kehrahe ho Armaan..why would I even..I never..the thought didn’t even cross my mind.
Armaan frowns: Then why did Rohan say..(Both of them get startled at the sounds of shouts, running feet and the banging of the door followed by someone swearing.) Whats happening?
Manav: Don’t know. (Just then the back door opens and Rohan enters. Behind him a couple of cops along with Sharma almost drag Abhi into the hall. Everyone speaks at the same time) Rohan?
Armaan: Abhi?
Abhi: BHAI?
Rohan shows him the mask that he is holding: Our plan worked Manavji. We caught him while he was trying to break open the back door.
Armaan’s bewildered look passes from Rohan to Manav to Abhi. He seems completely incapable of comprehension and speech. Manav seems to be equally taken aback: Abhi? But..I don’t understand.
Rohan: Abhimanyu is a criminal lawyer Manavji. When you told me today that he called and asked for the property papers..I felt something is not right. So I went and deliberately provoked his anger this morning and made sure he knew about the fact that you would be alone at home in the evening.
Manav looks at Abhi, who continues to stare at him in blistering silence: Why?
Abhi pulls himself away from both the cops: WHY? You dare to stand there and ask me WHY? You keep hurting my brother time and again and you ask me WHY? I understood your anger all those years ago. So I kept quiet. I knew my brother was drowning in guilt but I didn’t say a word against you or come after you because you moved away from my brother’s life. You were not HERE. Then you came back. I thought now, he will talk and things will get cleared. Bhai can move on. You married Nisha. I thought ok..one step ahead. He will forgive Nisha and later be willing to talk to bhai too. But did you do that? NO! You forgave what she did..you were happily enjoying all the attention and love that she showered on you..and continued to look down on my brother. The day you created that scene in CGH and accused him..I was right there! I could not take it. My brother is NOT like that. Apne shaadi ka reception rakha and you invited every single person EXCEPT my brother. Then you take your pretty young wife out to dinner and openly snub at my brother in front of Srutiji..wohi Srutiji jo 6 saal se bhai se pyaar karti hain aur 6 saal se unka intezaar kar rahi hain..wohi Srutiji jisse bhai apne jaan se bhi zyaada pyaar karte hain par bolnahi pate. because all he keeps seeing is his betrayal to YOU. He can’t love because of YOU. He can’t move on because of YOU. He drinks because of YOU. He stopped laughing..doesn’t have friends..because of YOU. Then yesterday I heard bhai and Srutiji talking. Bhai told her he can’t move on past that night..he kept saying sorry to her..sab kuch TERI wajah se!
By now Armaan has reached his brother. He catches hold of his shoulders and shakes him out of his anger: ABHI! NO! It’s NOT because of Manav. It’s because of my own guilt. I could not face MYSELF Abhi.
Abhi pushes him away: And your guilt would not have smothered you if HE had listened to you in the first place. You told me what actually happened only a year ago bhai. (Abhi wipes his own tears with his sleeve.) Sab kuch akele hi sehte rahe..
Armaan gives Abhi a sad resigned look: So for that you wanted to..? What would have changed after that Abhi? (Then his look changes to one of utter horror.) Aditi..Abhi..did you..were you? (He stops as if unable to complete the thought and the sentence.)
Abhi shakes his head vigorously: Bhai NO! I didn’t kill Aditi. I didn’t even know she was murdered until I was at the airport that day to pick you up. One of my friend had called and gave me the news.
Armaan: Sach sach bata Abhi..
Abhi: Bhai..aap ki kasam..ma ki kasam bhai. I didn’t kill Aditi. I was in the library that whole night with 4 of my friends.
Rohan sighs and looks at Manav: Manavji..I need you to come and file the FIR at the police station. (Armaan closes his eyes at that.)
Manav continues to look at both the brothers before turning back to Rohan: Do you have any evidence to convict him..other than today’s attempt at breaking in?
Rohan: No. And you need to file the case and give your statement..
Manav continues to look at Rohan: No. Rohan. I will not file the FIR against Abhi. (It was tough to say who is more stunned. Armaan or Abhi or Rohan.)
Rohan’s eyes burn fire at Abhi: Nisha could have been badly hurt or died Manavji..
Manav: And I would have killed him myself if that happened. but it didn’t. Abhi is right in a way. (He walks up to Abhi.) Armaan spoke to me just now. He told me everything. I don’t blame him for what happened all those years ago. I know I should have given him a chance..heard him out..I can’t change the past. But I won’t cause him more pain by being the person who sends you to prison. But if anything you do from now on..ANYTHING..ever hurts Nisha again..I will tear you apart with my bare hands.
(Abhi looks at Manav silently for a few moments before giving a short nod.)
Rohan unwilling to let it go, gives another try: Mr Abhimanyu..did you have anything to do with the shooting of the school bus? The same incident which killed 2 kids and the driver?
Abhi looks away from the force of the glare: I was not even there in that area. I was out meeting a client whole of that morning. I can give you his contact details if you want to verify my alibi.
Rohan looks at Manav once again to see if he has changed his mind and Manav answers him with a slight shake of his head: You got away THIS time Mr Abhimanyu. But once I get my hands on the sniper..once the sniper opens his mouth..which I assure you he will..once that happens nothing and no one is going to help you. (Without taking his eyes away from Abhi, Rohan barks.) Sharma..chalo.
No one speaks until Rohan and his team pile out closing the door behind them. finally, Abhi turns to Armaan: Bhai..
Armaan takes a step back and puts his hand up to stop him..his face a tight mask of pain: Don’t. I can’t..I can’t think or talk right now Abhi. What you did..is not a small thing to forgive and forget. Anything could have happened and because of you..because of YOU Abhi..2 kids lost their lives along with that bus driver.
Abhi’s look turns pleading: But bhai..that was not my fault.
Armaan shouts: IT WAS YOUR FAULT!
Outside near the jeep, Sharma looks at Rohan: Ab?
Rohan: Ek kaam toh hogaya. Do aur bache hain. Aditi’s killer and the sniper.
Sharma: Are you really out to catch him sir? The sniper?
Rohan: Dosti apni jagah hain Sharma. Aur duty apni jagah. I will catch the guy and make him confess. Chalo. Lets go have a break for now. Bhook lagi hain.
That night: Nisha’s bedroom:
Nisha comes out of the bathroom after changing into her night dress and looks at Manav, who is lying down on the bed staring at the ceiling. When they had come home earlier, Armaan and Abhi were just on their way out and the atmosphere was so tense that it could be cut with a knife. Manav had explained about the attacks and everything that happened before and after in crisp concise words without going into details of how he had set himself as a bait, before excusing himself and going off into their room leaving behind a kind of stunned silence. Finally, with a nod at her parents that she would talk later, she had followed him up to the room. As if he had been waiting for her, Manav pushed her against the wall as soon as she entered, locked the door and taken her right there standing up. Whatever feelings he had suppressed all evening had erupted and took on a physical form as if he could not convey them with mere words..his realisation..his relief..it was as if a great weight has been lifted off his shoulders and he is flying and determined to take her along with him. She puts the now crumpled sari to the hanger before going and sitting beside him on the bed.
Manav feels her soft touch on his forehead a moment before her voice wraps itself around him: Kya sochrahe ho?
Manav takes her hand, kisses her palm before placing it over his heart: Kuch nahi..buss..
Nisha: You did the right thing, you know..in not filing the case against Abhimanyu..
Manav blinks: Yeah..I know..but Rohan is quite pissed off at me right now.
Nisha smiles: He will get over it. But he won’t give up Manav.
Manav: I know. (He looks at her.) He is a good guy..a true friend.
Nisha nods before entwining her fingers with his: You know..I think you should go and meet Armaan. One on one. Sit and talk..I think you should do that.
Manav looks at their entwined fingers: You think he will be at home now?
Nisha: You remember the basket ball court where you all used to play? (He nods.) Try there. I used to go there sometimes..Just to..you know..(She shrugs.) And I saw him a couple of times sitting on those benches..silent..lost.. I think he has missed you a lot too.
Manav: Shall I go?
Nisha nods and takes out her phone: I will sms you his number. If he is not there, you can always call him. Jaao Tiger.
Manav gets up quickly and exchanges his track pant with a pair of jeans and leaves the same t-shirt on. He grabs the keys and wallet before turning back to look at her: Uh..I didn’t hurt you, right? I mean..(He gestures to the wall where he had taken her a few minutes back.)
Nisha smiles with a naughty glint in her eyes: Go meet your friend and come. We can try it again just to make sure how much you..didn’t hurt me..(She gives a small wink which makes him come back to give her a long hard kiss that smothers her giggle.)
Armaan is sitting on one of the benches in the basketball court looking at a few kids playing a late night game. How many times did Manav and I do that? Park our cycles or bikes out and play irrespective of the hour and day.. He is startled out of his thoughts when Manav’s voice says the same thing a little behind him: I wonder how many times we came here and spent hours playing..kabhi cycles pe toh kabhi apne bikes pe. (He jumps over a couple of chairs before coming and sitting beside Armaan. Both of them for a while simply sit and watch the kids playing and shouting in between) You come here often?
Armaan shrugs: Kabhi kabhi. Tujhe kisne bataya? Nisha ne? (Manav nods.) I used to see her..sitting in one corner..(He gestures to the other end of the court.) Silent..as still as a statue..lost..